Beginning on Turbo trainer

d_diver

Jul 23, 2003
Hi everyone.

I am quite new to cycling been going for almost 3 month now and have been developing my fitness quite nicely.

I have bought a turbo trainer for the winter and am looking at starting to use it at nights now as it is getting too dark to go very far. (I know I would be better going out but live in the middle of a city etc etc - believe me the trainer is just easier for me).

So far my regime has been to cycle for around an hour two to three times a week in the evenings and then at the weekend longer run covering up to 20 miles. My primary aim is to help with weight loss (3st and counting so far!) but also overall cycling fitness is an added bonus.

My question is this. What kind of work out should I be doing on the trainer to replicate what I am curently doing? And also what can I do to build up strength for uphill (I know my weight is a main factor here but hopefully by spring it will be less of one).

I have read about interval training. Can anyone give me any tips on a beginner workout or point me somewhere that can?

Cheers
D Diver

Interval training is the way to go, many people (including myself) struggle to ride for over an hour on the turbo and often there is no reason to do this.

Start by warming up for 15 minutes and cooling down for 15 minutes. Here are some sessions to try...

1. 2 1/2 minutes on and 2 1/2 minutes resting start with 4 efforts and see how you go.
2. 30 minutes tempo.
3. 4 minutes on 4 minutes off starting with 4 efforts in total.
4. high cadence sessions.

When you get to ride outdoors its good to do skills sessions, as you will lose your skills quickly when only riding in doors.

I'll start another thread for peoples favourite turbo sessions....

Hi there

well had a wee go on the trainer last night. Did 30 mins including 5 mins warm up and 5 mins warm down. And for the rest I did 5 mins effort and 5 mins 'rest'. I was wearing my heart rate monitor and tried to get my heart rate up to 80% during the efforts which I managed but had to be going at a fair whack to do it. I think the fact that when I am riding I have so much extra weight to pull around that when I am stationary it is much easy! But I will persevere and try and get something out of it. At the very least it meant I got 30 mins exercise that I wouldn't have last night.

Cheers for the reply I wil watch out for the turbo thread!
D

You might want to try warming up for longer by gradualy taking your HR from resting levels to your traget HR over 15 minutes. This will ensure that the quality of your efforts are there when you are working.