Beginning racing

sparknote_s

Jun 13, 2004
For a beginning Cat 5 or Junior race (I'm 18), is being on a team important? I'm under the impression that team tactics are not used much in those races because it's new riders. Is that correct?

I'm just wondering, if I should try to join a club for a first race.

While I'm on the topic, when people ask about training and get a response of "if you're serious, get a coach" does that mean get on a club that has a coach, or get a personal coach or what?

I'm just a little confused on how to get started. Thanks.

you are right, team tactics are not something you see in cat 5.

I would suggest you do a race or 2 or 3, then decide if you want to continue racing, which would be a good time to join club. It would also be a good idea to try to find a club that has coaching, but I don't think it is very common. There are a lot of online coaching services, or better yet, ask around the bike racing scene for coaches in your area. Race lots, ride with other experienced racers and you will learn tons.

i am 19 and i just started racing a short time ago and in cat5 if you have team members you sometimes will use them to pull you along or something but that is about all the tactics there is in cat 5. i would look into seeing as you are 18 you will prolly be going off to college soon and most colleges have a cycling club or team they are great to get involved in. i race for baylor university and there is a whole conference and champianships and stuff. and like said above ride with guys better than you sometimes they will give you pointers and make you push yourself to get better it is like a motivation thing to want to be as good or better than them.