Beginning to end, your first race

Columbia

Nov 1, 2003
Okay, there have been several people here that are weeks/days from their first race and are a little confused as to what they should do. I'm not claiming to be any kind of authority (I've had all of 7.5 races) but I do know what preparation works for me.

This assumes that you already have a reasonable level of fitness. This is NOT a summary of what training you need to race (get a coach he help you with that).

**********Months before your race**********

1) This is probably the best time to pick out a race. Find one that suits your ability (road race, time trial, track, etc) and commit to it. Tell everyone you know that you will enter it, go up to that girl/guy you really like and tell him/her that you will do it. That oughta limit your options somewhat! :)

2) Get a coach, a good one, and listen to EVERYTHING he tells you. If you disagree with anything he says, tell him, but if he thinks he is right, he probably is.

Get a coach who has at least a basic understanding of sports psychology. It really makes the difference when the going gets tough.

Finally (and this is possibly the most important thing to consider when getting a coach), make sure your coach is somebody that you respect and trust. If you do not like your coach he will not be able to get the best out of you, and you may feel less motivated.

3.a) Join a local club. In these early stages talk to the older members, the veterans. A lot of these guys have 30/40 (maybe more) years of experience. They know exactly what they are talking about. Keep asking questions until they are almost p'ed off at you :) .

3.b) Go out riding as often as possible with the club - although when you have a coach this isn't always possible, but still try to get out at least twice a week.

**********Weeks before your first race**********

Not much different from the previous section here.

1) Definately, definately, definately, pick a race. Do not wait until the week of your race. You must at this point know the rough layout of the course and the length of the event to adjust your training.

2) Tell your coach what type of race you will enter (if you havn't already). He will again prescribe some workouts to you.

3) Now that you have gleamed all the tips possible from the vets you should start talking to your peers, particularily guys who will be in the same race as you, they can tell you who to look out for (i.e. the 'dangerman'). Go out training with these guys as often as possible, get to know them (if you keep this up you'll probably be stuck racing with these guys for years, you might as well get to know them).

**********Days before your first race**********

1) 4/5 days prior to the race, go check out the course. It is best to cycle it, but if thats not possible you could drive. Take note of any;
A. dodgy looking corners
B. large potholes
C. gravel in the middle of the road
D. sudden sharp climbs (where attacks can be launced)
E. anything else you can see that would present a problem in a group

2) At this point you should be tapering back your training. Your coach cant do a whole lot for you now. If you're ready you're ready, if you're screwed you're screwed. Do not start "panic training", where you realise what your doing and all of a sudden become super-motivated, it wont do you any good now, but it'll do you a lot of harm.

3) Since this is your first race, it'll probably be at a lower category, so there wont be any team tactics to think of.
Ask your team-mates for any advice they can give you.

4) Give your bike a thorough check TWO NIGHTS before your race. Its two nights because if you do find a problem you can get it down to your LBS the next day to have it fixed.

5) Get copious amounts of sleep 2/4 nights before your race. Chances are you will not sleep soundly the night before and you will want to have a bit in reserve.

**********The night before (ooohhh)**********

1) Get everything ready. Although if your anything like me that may not be possible (clothes still drying etc). Make a list of everything you need (license, money, helmet, etc). Get some gear together for adverse weather condidtions (regardless of what the forecast says).

2) Lube up your bike. Apply lube sparingly to your chain because it can cause it to skip, or worse, come off completely.

3) Try to stay off your feet. If you are nervous/excited you will feel like walking about more than usual. Try to rest up. Get as much sleep as possible (although that will most likely not be much).

**********Race morning**********

1) *MOST IMPORTANT TIP OF THE DAY*

Calm down, theres no reason to be nervous. Its only a race. Do thing to take you mind off the race (listen to music, that usually works). Although (and this is just me personally) I find great comfort in having the race at the forefront of my mind all day. I like the feeling of 'concentration' in my mind. I also like the way it makes me think clearly about what I'm doing (it makes me feel like I'm in charge of the situation).

2) Have a good breakfast. Mine usually consists of cereal, fruit juice, water and some energy drink if I have some to spare. By this time I like to take in most of my energy in liquid form. The only real reason is around here (In Ireland at under 16 level) there usually isn't anywhere to go to the bathroom at a race, so you usually wind up going in a bush. :)

3) Make sure you have everything, although, in my experience, people almost never forget to bring somethnig obvious in their first race, its when the become accustomed to racing they let their preparation go and make mistakes.

4) Arrive good and early. Arrive so you have time to warm up plus about 45 minutes on top. Sign on, load up you wheels, go to the bathroom (theres much more to do, but I'm having a blank moment :p ) and then warm up fully. Remember, the shorter the event, the longer the warmup.

5) Just like last night, stay off your feet.

**********THE RACE**********

Getting to the start line you should beware. In all of my races I've spent 15-25 minutes standing around, dont let yourself go cold, keep stretching.

Pick a landmark 200 metres from the line, this is where you will begin your sprint.

As the race begins you should be careful. The pace can be quite high at the start if you get left behind your in for a long day. DONT PANIC! It will relax somewhat after a few minutes. Stay in the front 20% of the group (to aviod crashes) and try to stay in the draft. If you are shuffled through then you should keep some things in mind:

A. Dont let them let you cook, if they let you up there unreasonably long just sit up and ease off the pace, they wont be too long going back to the front
B. One tip I've heard is that when you are up at the front you should try to ride as close to the side of the road as possible, it makes it harder for people to stay in your draft. (This is of course not to be used in a break)
C. Try to keep the pace the same, dont all of a sudden accelerate an extra 5 MHP to the speed of the group, they probably wont be able to follow you.

In a race over an hour long you should be drinking about .6 litres of water per hour, along with 60 grams of carbs per hour (roughly the maximum your body can digest).

If you attack, be descisive! Attack with all youve got, hope that somebody follows and get to the line as fast as possible. However, if the break is very obviously failing dont keep driving, thats just sad, let the group catch you and get ready for the sprint.

For the sprint, try to get in the top 5-10 positions as the sprint winds up and once you pass your mark put all your energy in getting to the line. Forget about what everyone else is doing, just get accross that line as quickly as your legs will carry you.

**********Post Race**********

Try to rehydrate and get some carbs in. If things went badly, dont just go home sobbing, stick around and watch the higher category races. Talk with your team-mates. Believe me, one way or the other, you will have some kind of story to tell.

Finally, dont forget to enjoy yourself, I remember I took a few seconds in my first race (at a point the pace was relaxed) just to experience the moment. I'm still glad I did that, beacause thinking back, I remember what hapenned but apart from those few seconds I dont remember anything I was thinking or feeling during the whole race.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :D