zotma

Nov 21, 2003
do you wear contacts
or prescription sunglasses???

I'm returning to cycling after a break
in the interim, my eyes went to hell so now I wear glasses
now I'm noticing, I've got issues seeing while riding
(especially goin fast)
I'm going to the eye doc tomorrow to get contacts I guess.
this is an unexpected cycling gear problem.

anyone have problems with contacts while cycling?
so what do you all do with dem bad eyes?

Contacts plus sunglasses works for me. You need to protect your eyes in any case, and also to stop the contacts drying out.

When you get contacts you'll love having your peripheral vision back! :D

I have presbyopia (far-sighted) and my problem is my cycle computer readout is hard to read without my glasses. I can't have glasses on and ride for mine are the half-glasses type.

I have to keep my glasses with me, though, so they sit in my back shirt pocket.

thanks guys
I bet keeping extra glasses in the pocket would be good.
especially in a pinch of losing a contact (in my case)
yes, having periph will be very nice :)
I just went to my lbs and they showed me some special sunglasses with inserts that you could put prescription lenses into.
seemed like a good option for someone who couldn't wear contacts.
I figure I'd rather have the freedom of contacts. I bought sunglasses that have changeable lenses for different conditions including clear lenses for clouds/nightfall.

went riding yesterday with the new contacts.....
(that I just got yesterday)

so I learned that you shouldn't go for a ride with new contacts on the first day;
1. discomfort from eyes still getting used to the salad bowls stuck in them.

2. eyes dried out very early on in the ride and I couldn't see through the gooey lenses (what does one do about this???)

3. couldn't see the herd of javalinas (wild boar type things we have here in the desert) until I was right up on them (due to aformentioned gooey vision field)....and other obstacles on the road because my eyes hadn't acclimated to the lenses yet.

I did like having my peripheral vision back for sure and the ride was a thrill particularly due to the added dramatic element but I definitely have some issues to smooth out with this contact wearin deal.

My eyes are terrible, and I have no choice but to ride with glasses or sunglasses. I suppose you should ride with something to protect your eyes, no matter what, but I want my peripheral vision back. I've decided to get laser surgery to correct the problem. I won't be able to do it until April 2004, but I can't wait to see what riding (or anything for that matter) will be like with 20/20.:)

I always were glasses of some kind-- to see or to keep the breeze off the contacts. I have a set of perscription Ray-bans (Ray Orbitson looking ones) that I wear a lot.

Don't worry, this will work tself out in a couple of days

Originally posted by juliebeanpie
My eyes are terrible, and I have no choice but to ride with glasses or sunglasses. I suppose you should ride with something to protect your eyes, no matter what, but I want my peripheral vision back. I've decided to get laser surgery to correct the problem. I won't be able to do it until April 2004, but I can't wait to see what riding (or anything for that matter) will be like with 20/20.:)

DO REMEMBER THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE STILL NEED GLASSES AFER LASER SURGERY only a simpler lens , go into it in real depth as once it´s done ......... It´s a lot of money for a vanity thing and can also leave the eyeball more vulnerable to impact damage .

Go very carefully , get ALL the details / facts before you start .

Good luck , and let us know how you get on . :(

I wear Rudy Project "perceptions"

they have a clip in prescription adapter and the sunglass lenses over the top flip up so that you can read stuff indoors if you are wearing dark tints.

you can also swap out the front lenses for about 8 different colours and they have a lifetime free scratch replacement policy

Originally posted by zotma
went riding yesterday with the new contacts.....
(that I just got yesterday)

so I learned that you shouldn't go for a ride with new contacts on the first day;
1. discomfort from eyes still getting used to the salad bowls stuck in them.
It'll take you about a week or so for your eyes to get used to having the contact lenses on them.

2. eyes dried out very early on in the ride and I couldn't see through the gooey lenses (what does one do about this???)
Good quality wrap-around glasses are your ticket. (I have used Rudy Project Kerosenes for looong rides with no problems.)

I did like having my peripheral vision back for sure and the ride was a thrill particularly due to the added dramatic element but I definitely have some issues to smooth out with this contact wearin deal.
Don't worry, I felt the same when I first got them.. soon you'll think nothing of them, and wonder why you ever bothered with glasses :D

julie; sorry to hear about your eyes and I'm interested to hear what comes about with the lazer. I'm chicken to go that route though I've heard good things from others. I did always wear eyegear before needing glasses, it's just necessary. just the prescription deal posed a quandary.

the contacts are feeling better day by day (as suggested by tacomee and rek, thanks).

I've got some comfy nice wrap arounds that I did wear that day but I reckon it was just my eyes trying to acclimate and it was breezy. folks have told me you'll notice drafts and all kinds of air variations now with the contacts that you'd not have noticed before.

nice thing is these are torric (sp?) lenses so they're big and they don't pop out easy. I at least won't be losing contacts on the road.

thanks again and happy riding