Being a teenage road cyclist

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Velostage, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Velostage

Velostage New Member

We thought since we're heading into the new year, we may as well give the site a new look, so check it out. Plenty of new content on there as well. There is currently a giveaway for a little prize going (latest post). Cheers.

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

A 23 minute 10mile TT is highly attainable by a lot of folk, especially the younger lads. Although my first "10" wasn't a 28, I ended my first season racing with a long 23 minute ride... and this was back in the day when men were men and sheep were very very scared (ie - tri bars weren't even on Boone Lennon's drawing board, let alone bikes.

It's getting a couple o' three minutes more off your 10 time when you're down to a 23 that's a bit more of an issue. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

3. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Vanity would be the easy answer if every racer was Mario Cipollini but the answer is still pretty simple, it's bike racing's equivalent of Abraham's covenant with God, except it's a little hair instead of well, you know. Folks who don't race usually don't get it. And no, riding a lot does not count as racing.

Other reasons which may or may not be based in reality:
    - The massage being easier to take (and give) is true, this coming from an ex-massage therapist and recipient of many hours of massage.
    - The bandages coming of with less fanfare is true, this coming from a hairy ape like me. However non-sticky self-adhesive bandages are slowly rendering this excuse moot. This also doesn't explain why arms aren't usually shaved too.
    - It's more aerodynamic /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif