Being chased by dogs....

OoAmericanGirl said:
biggrin.gif
The dogs really don't take me seriously when I yell no.. I like the soft touch bbgun idea, but I wonder if I could get it out of my jersey pocked in time. I might try the dog wistle, I would like to confuse them more than I would like to hurt them. Thanks for the advice everyone!
You want to teach , not confuse. Whatever you use it must be instantly grabbable . I used velcro to hold my little poochie mace on the top tube just behind the steering head. Don't spray Dad with it ! See ya out there.

zorly, Ken Kifer was indeed a thoughtful person and a true cyclist who rode everywhere. Unfortunately he was killed about two years ago by a local drunk driver while riding near his home in northern alabama. Good to know that his webpage is still being maintained.

I totally agree with his suggestions for handling dogs, btw. Only thing I would add is to be extra careful when riding in groups. Dogs may cause riders in front to brake suddenly, or take other evasive action. Also, have found a dog chasing a rider in front will often stop in the road, or turn back right into another bike without looking.

Watch out for other wildlife too. We've had a couple of cyclists hit by deer here; one was seriously hurt. Another experienced rider was taken out by a housecat who ran straight out onto the road at attack speed to intercept his bike.

If it is a nuisance dog which chases everytime you ride by probably means it would be a potential risk to all pedestrians cars etc. Is it aggressive like fangs and drool? or just a chaser?.. If it is aggressive - not sure what the laws are there where you are but here in most municipalities/councils dogs that are a constant nuisance can be impounded if outside private property. Often if a complaint is made to the local authorities will warn the owner/s of the offending dog/s. If it is just a chaser maybe it just wants to have a chat but who wants to stop and find out eh?
biggrin.gif

fang marks on the body is not attractive.

I agree that carrying a mace is a good deterrent for aggressive dogs.

mace.jpg

Just be careful not to let the spiked ball swing into your wheels or drivetrain.

OoAmericanGirl said:
...scares the **** out of me. I was attacked by a dog and was in the hospital as a kid so I'm afraid of large dogs. I've found this wonderful road with no traffic, but there are a few houses where they have dogs that will chase you and I'm afraid of being torn off the bike at 18mph. I was thinking of carrying a bottle of mace, but somone told me that would not deter the dog from chasing me. I also toyed with the idea of bringing treats, but then that might encourage them to chase me if they get rewared with it. What can I do to keep myself from being bitten?
OK, I've done my best to avoid responding to this, but after reading a lot of really questionable responses, I can't resist--sorry.

First off, I understand a fear of dogs, having been attacked as a child myself. I didn't get over it until I ended up adopting a very large, very mean "looking" dog--and learning a lot about dog behavior in the process.

Having a dog chase you is no laughing matter, and can definitely cause an accident, and is a problem that needs to be addressed. However, the main issue would be you tangling with the dog and crashing, not being mauled by the dog. My first recommendation would be to contact the dog's owner, the local animal control officers, or the police. It's as unsafe for the dogs as it is for you.

Remember, in almost all instances, the dog is just herding/chasing/playing by chasing you, and is doing so out of boredom. Throwing a treat seems like a good idea to me, I'd try that first. Otherwise, the squirt in the face with a waterbottle isn't a bad idea, but you'd be safer just to keep riding, unless you're awfully coordinated. Bear spray/mace?? Save that for the irresponsible owner--this very well could just incite an otherwise docile dog to start biting, and really, your biggest worry is not crashing!! Taking your hands off the bars to grab mace/bear spray/pellet guy is just stupid, IMHO.

vadiver said:
Ausie's post is what I do.

When I ride I try to pay attention to barking dogs. If I hear them I start to prepare at that point.

I do not know if I have ever had a dog come at me head on. It is usually from either behind or side to likea 45 degree approach. If that is the case I up shift a gear and sprint like I have a steak in my pocket. I have been able to out run all of the dogs I have encountered and they seem to give up before I give out.

I am not as terrified of dogs as it sounds you are, but have been attacked by a dog once, and was very lucky, so the next bit probably will not work for you. When I am walking If I encounter a dog running at me I just stop, and as fourcefull as I can muster I tell the dog to "SIT". I do not make any movements towards the dog and try to "read" the dog. If its tail is waging fast, it is just a noisy playful dog, if it is not I am a bit more worried. If the dog is chasing you because it wants to chase you, if you stop, they have nothing to chase.

I have not been bitten for a long time now, but I am still cautious and try to avoid dogs while riding.
==========================================================
Tail wagging fast is not a sign that it's happy or friendly:( . It's the HEIGHT the tail is wagging at. If it's low - watch out. If it's higher in the air it's more likely(not always) to be friendlier etc.

9.8mps2 said:
Outstanding !! ...unless you are back marker like me.
Situational awareness is the best policy. If you can shout something loud and command - like as he starts his run at you he will break off early 7 / 10 times.
I fear no dog if I'm standing , but need a little piece of mind when clipped in with my achilles tendon in an inticing position.
I have not been seriously threatened since I have velcro'd my poochie mace to my top tube.
It is amazing - "Owners" who appear to gain some redneck amusement in allowing their dog to chase cyclists - even dicounting the cyclist's well being, they allow their dog to endanger it's own life by streaking across roads to get to you...
============================================================
A frightening thought - if you sprayed the dog with the "owner" there and the dog was hurt by it the owner might then came after you in his SUV.
That's about the time I would start praying - really hard....

I was chased by a coyote on a canyon climb. I had pepper spray and had to spray it 4 times before he stopped chasing me. I am not sure the pepper actually worked. I think the liguid startled it, but whatever, He stopped chasing and I have a new max HR. Pepper spray works on most dogs but not all. I have never seen it work on a Pit Bull, but have seen it work on Rots, Shepards, Labs. I have a can velcro'd to my bike. By the way "Mace" is not nearly as effective on dogs or people as Pepper Spray(Oleoresin Capsicum)

Bigbananabike said:
==========================================================
Tail wagging fast is not a sign that it's happy or friendly:( . It's the HEIGHT the tail is wagging at. If it's low - watch out. If it's higher in the air it's more likely(not always) to be friendlier etc.
Better clairification. I was going to mention the positon of the tail in my post but as I wrote it is came as the tail was between the legs. That meaning the dog is scared and defincive. This would probably not be a dog that is chasing but a dog that is backing up. An inssue for a pedetrian but not a cyclist.

RipVanCommittee said:
OK, I've done my best to avoid responding to this, but after reading a lot of really questionable responses, I can't resist--sorry.

First off, I understand a fear of dogs, having been attacked as a child myself. I didn't get over it until I ended up adopting a very large, very mean "looking" dog--and learning a lot about dog behavior in the process.

Having a dog chase you is no laughing matter, and can definitely cause an accident, and is a problem that needs to be addressed. However, the main issue would be you tangling with the dog and crashing, not being mauled by the dog. My first recommendation would be to contact the dog's owner, the local animal control officers, or the police. It's as unsafe for the dogs as it is for you.

Remember, in almost all instances, the dog is just herding/chasing/playing by chasing you, and is doing so out of boredom. Throwing a treat seems like a good idea to me, I'd try that first. Otherwise, the squirt in the face with a waterbottle isn't a bad idea, but you'd be safer just to keep riding, unless you're awfully coordinated. Bear spray/mace?? Save that for the irresponsible owner--this very well could just incite an otherwise docile dog to start biting, and really, your biggest worry is not crashing!! Taking your hands off the bars to grab mace/bear spray/pellet guy is just stupid, IMHO.
I have a pitbull in my back yard and I"m not afriad of a dog unless it's chasing me. When I was attacked as a child, I was riding my bicycle and was pulled off by a large dog and attacked. It's not likely that it will happen, but this dog gets very close and snaps an my ankle. This is in the county and as long as the dog dosen't bite somone the animal control won't do anything about it since there is no leash law. I have thought about leaving a letter for the owner, but just haven't gotten to it.

OoAmericanGirl said:
...scares the **** out of me. I was attacked by a dog and was in the hospital as a kid so I'm afraid of large dogs. I've found this wonderful road with no traffic, but there are a few houses where they have dogs that will chase you and I'm afraid of being torn off the bike at 18mph. I was thinking of carrying a bottle of mace, but somone told me that would not deter the dog from chasing me. I also toyed with the idea of bringing treats, but then that might encourage them to chase me if they get rewared with it. What can I do to keep myself from being bitten?

I presume from the name you live in the US im not sure of the law on pets over there but in the UK the owner is responsible and can be charged under the dangerous dogs act if they do not control their dog.
If it is a regular ride it may be worthwhile taking to the owners.
I think using mace is very cruel and could possibly be illegal it is the owner that should be punished not the dog.

P.S I am a police dog handler so if you are in the UK I could help you face your fears and can gaurantee you will cycle faster than 18mph.

sammiedog said:
I presume from the name you live in the US im not sure of the law on pets over there but in the UK the owner is responsible and can be charged under the dangerous dogs act if they do not control their dog.
If it is a regular ride it may be worthwhile taking to the owners.
I think using mace is very cruel and could possibly be illegal it is the owner that should be punished not the dog.

P.S I am a police dog handler so if you are in the UK I could help you face your fears and can gaurantee you will cycle faster than 18mph.
Why do you think that using mace is very cruel? If she sprayed a sleeping dog with mace that would be cruel but hardly very cruel. Very cruel would be something like beating a dog. In the US, FBI agents are required to be sprayed in the face with pepper spray as part of their training. Is that very cruel? The effects of mace or pepper spray on the dog will clear quickly and leave no lasting damage.

Second, if she sprays the dog she isn't punishing the dog. She is protecting herself from being bit or crashing and hurting herself, which she is permitted to do by US law. When that dog chases her she has very little time to determine whether the dog will bite her or run into her bicycle knocking her over. While she is trying to figure out what the dog will do, she has to maintain control of her bicycle.

Talking to the owners is a good idea but back in the real world: a) when she goes to the house she is in the dogs territory and risks being bitten b) there is a good chance the owner will be indifferent to her request, afterall he already allows his dog to chase cyclists (which reminds me of a friend who was bit by a dog and told by the owner that the cyclist "had no right to be on the road"!!!)

Take care.

PW

pwebster said:
Why do you think that using mace is very cruel? If she sprayed a sleeping dog with mace that would be cruel but hardly very cruel. Very cruel would be something like beating a dog. In the US, FBI agents are required to be sprayed in the face with pepper spray as part of their training. Is that very cruel? The effects of mace or pepper spray on the dog will clear quickly and leave no lasting damage.

Second, if she sprays the dog she isn't punishing the dog. She is protecting herself from being bit or crashing and hurting herself, which she is permitted to do by US law. When that dog chases her she has very little time to determine whether the dog will bite her or run into her bicycle knocking her over. While she is trying to figure out what the dog will do, she has to maintain control of her bicycle.

Talking to the owners is a good idea but back in the real world: a) when she goes to the house she is in the dogs territory and risks being bitten b) there is a good chance the owner will be indifferent to her request, afterall he already allows his dog to chase cyclists (which reminds me of a friend who was bit by a dog and told by the owner that the cyclist "had no right to be on the road"!!!)

Take care.

PW
Apoligies PW I should have read all replies to this thread i did not know you could get dog specific pepper spray.
I am a Police dog handler in Scotland and we are advised if using pepper spray to keep the dog out the way as it can be be a lot more uncomfortable for them than us.
As for the FBI as a police officer i also have to experience pepper spray so i know what to expect it is not cruel as i agree to it the dog would have know choice.
By the sounds of things dog laws in the US must not be very tight, as if a dog owner in the UK deliberitly lets their dog chase a cyclist they stand a good chance of prosecution and removal of their right to own a dog.

Regards Robert

I have crashed because of a dog...hit my front wheel. Pepper spray works really well. Get the one that shoot in a line...not the fog. Also pre-placed bowls of Prestone work real well too:rolleyes: . Any dog on a public road is free game. A buddy who is an attorney just settled a case of a dog owner who bit a rider. Bike rider got $3000 from the settlement. I like dogs but they need to stay off the road.

bladegeek said:
I have crashed because of a dog...hit my front wheel. Pepper spray works really well. Get the one that shoot in a line...not the fog. Also pre-placed bowls of Prestone work real well too:rolleyes: . Any dog on a public road is free game. A buddy who is an attorney just settled a case of a dog owner who bit a rider. Bike rider got $3000 from the settlement. I like dogs but they need to stay off the road.
Jesus Christ man, anti freeze?? You're suggesting that people kill the damn dogs?? That's not very bright...I mean I do take on a more vigilant attitude as well, but that's not right at all.

I've been chased alot, never used to be afraid of dogs, but the last two times were pretty nerve wracking...I looked at my speedo and saw 25km/h, and this damn Rot wouldn't back off...There was a hill coming up and he was RIGHT next to me, so I clipped out and kicked his head with my cleat...F***ing dog owners...And of course they get ****** at me... I also hopped over a chiuahua once...lol.. owner didn't like that too much, but dogs that small should be on a leash. Actually, they all should be.

^^^I was just talking about what is effective.....not what I have actually done:rolleyes: ....maybe.

bladegeek said:
^^^I was just talking about what is effective.....not what I have actually done:rolleyes: ....maybe.
Right...I'm not down with the emoticons, missed that blue smiley= sarcastic...
So long as it's a joke. I'm sure you wouldn't get a lot of support in court for killing dogs.

K50 said:
Right...I'm not down with the emoticons, missed that blue smiley= sarcastic...
So long as it's a joke. I'm sure you wouldn't get a lot of support in court for killing dogs.
Well that depends where you live. Here in a southern state killing dogs is a Redneck past time. And unfortunately letting you dog run wild is one too. No I have not killed one yet....I have beat one within an inch of its life when it bit my shoe. Different laws in different states. If I was attacked I would not hesitate to kill it if that is what I had to do on when he attacks me on a public road. And on a public road or on your land you would win here in Arkansas.

I spayed the dog with pepper spray yesterday. I took the spary out of my jacket pocket as I approached his house and when he got too close to me, I simply spayed him and he stopped. I didn't spary it to be mean, he came up to me, chased me and I was going to allow him to do so as long if he dosen't get close. He he got close to my ankle and was in 6 inches or so and I spayed him.

I feel that it wasn't cruel to spary since I was defending myself, somthing that I have every right to do. I've always had the spary on my bike, it was in my bag, but now I keep it in my jersey pocket. I'm not going to to to the house and give the dog ant-freeze, I'm not going to bring a gun and shoot the dog, I'm just going to spay him if he get's too close. I'm hoping that he's a smart hound and will associate chasing me (and hopefully chasing cars) with the painful spay in the face. Anyway, thanks for the good advice everyone.