being converted

wheelist said:
Perhaps you could justify the expense of a new bike if you used it for commuting? It's a damn fine way to get some exercise in whilst not wasting too much extra time too.

If you're in the UK, then you could get your employer to take part in the Bike2Work scheme, and save yourself about 40% of the price of a new bike.

Wheelist
imho anyone who commutes to work only needs a pocket calculator to justify a new bike purchase

i work for myself. ive only just bought my mtb for £1200 so trying to convince the missus i need another £500 for a road bike, i think her answer would be **** off. maybe cyclo cross;)

Made the switch about three years ago. I used to compete in club crits back in college, so the road wasn't new, but... I found that the rides to and from the singletrack were more enjoyable than the singletrack. I guess it's the zen thing - the peace and quiet, the single minded focus, the smooth passing of miles.

Just personal taste, I suppose. One thing I did find - the MTB does great things for your sprinting, but won't do much for endurance.

john74 said:
i work for myself. ive only just bought my mtb for £1200 so trying to convince the missus i need another £500 for a road bike, i think her answer would be **** off. maybe cyclo cross;)
I wonder what her answer will be if you suggested to spend £500 less on shopping for clothes,shoes and handbags? :D You should have a budget for your own hobbies, like you wouldn't tell her what shoes to buy. You gotta show her that if you spend £500 it won't impact your lifestyles otherwise squirrel away £500 (=170-200 coffees?) over the next 12months you never know by then the novelty will probably wear off and you be £500 pounds better off.
Well if you sell, a £1200 bike isnt worth £1200 anymore if you want to sell, hey if you are deadset and its not about having two bikes but $$$$ sell then buy a roadie and save the remaining funds towards another MTB in future if you want it down the track. Cyclocross? haha.. only good for grass mud and dirt no technical. :D

Bah, who says you need to "convert"? Just enjoy both disciplines, that's what I do. I started out a roadie and got into mtb a little bit, now I do both.

Living in the city, it's just not too practical to carry a mountain bike and drive for an hour in search of a decent trail. Whereas a road bike allows me to go in any direction from my front door with some unpaved local park tracks thrown in. The choice is simple in retrospect. :rolleyes:

john74 said:
my missus just said why dont i put road bike wheels on my mtn bike.:eek: :D :D
Damn haha bikes are not like people, you can't just change the shoes/footwear.

If you are going over to the dark side, go all the way over and get 'bent.

Give the mtb to the missus and put a basket on it for her to shop with. Tell her it's all about saving the environment. She'll believe you, lots of women believe Al Gore's baloney.