being converted

john74

Sep 19, 2006
i usually ride mtn bikes but for a change a couple of days ago i went out on the local roads for a couple of hours and to be honest i actually prefered the smooth silky tarmac and i covered 30 miles instead of the usual 15 off road. am i leaning towards the dark side. ive also been reading LAs books i think i may sell my mtn bike and buy a sleek road machine. any thoughts people should i convert or stay faithfull.

Not claiming roadies are better, but in my experience, I went from mtb to road and will not go back...

I just enjoi it more and can see how others enjoi mtb more...

Certainly the likelihood of being killed by a semi-trailer is very low on an mtb, but getting wolf whistled by a bunch of hot looking school chicks is low on an mtb out on the trails...

Buy a road bike and KEEP the MTB. Twice the fun.

I ride road for fitness (and to get to work) and MTB for skills and fun. I love them both, and they each help with the other discipline.

I'm set to try track for the first time next month - we'll see what I make of that!

wheelist said:
Buy a road bike and KEEP the MTB. Twice the fun.

I ride road for fitness (and to get to work) and MTB for skills and fun. I love them both, and they each help with the other discipline.

I'm set to try track for the first time next month - we'll see what I make of that!
im with wheelist... keep the mtb, and save up for a roadie... different situations call for different equipment, and you can never have too many bikes :D

i love my roadie, it gets me going where i need to and gets me there fast... i can ride with other road riders and push myself to get better, but damn... i miss riding a mtb and getting covered in mud and sticks :D

i think you will need one of each. a mtn bike and a road bike. plus you may need a fun bike. for example a single speed cruiser or a track bike or a recumbent or a unicycle. the possibilities are endless

john74 said:
i usually ride mtn bikes but for a change a couple of days ago i went out on the local roads for a couple of hours and to be honest i actually prefered the smooth silky tarmac and i covered 30 miles instead of the usual 15 off road. am i leaning towards the dark side. ive also been reading LAs books i think i may sell my mtn bike and buy a sleek road machine. any thoughts people should i convert or stay faithfull.
15 miles offroad!? yikes! i did 4 miles off road a couple of weeks ago and i got a heck of a workout!

and for the sake of comparison, 30 miles on the road on my comfort bike at 14.5 mph usually isn't much of a chore (although my 'roids would disagree).

john74 said:
Is that MTB on road/pavement or MTB offroad?
I gave up competing with traffic years ago..
For me personally I enjoy offroad Mt Biking the more technical the more fun I have and find challenging.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't mind riding a roadie on the road socially and for extra miles.
Mt biking is a bigger workout over a shorter distance. I don't really enjoy riding miles of pavement.
I tried riding my Mtb with my friends with Urban Mt bikes. (the ones that wont take them offroad) I don't bother anymore, it ruins my offroad tyres and it is inefficient when it comes to pedalling. Road bikes are for road/pavement. Mtb for Offroad and rugged use.

Keep the MTB for some offroad xtraining workouts. ang get a roadie anways for the road.

Peace.
smile.gif

I agree with everyone else. If finances allow keep the MTB and get a road bike. I use my my MTBs for both road and trails (just change tyres). However, the road bike is definitely more comfortable and much better for purely road riding. You cannot have too many bikes; well, at least unless the wife says otherwise :p.

thats the thing i cant afford and wont be allowed both so, i must make a decision. and when i say mtn biking i mean proper off road technical single track, big rocky climbs and plenty of mud. maybe the grass isnt greener on the other side,hell i dont know.:confused:

what if i found the skinniest smoothest set of tyres that will fit my mtn bike do you think this would cure my desire for the black top.

Remember - you don't need to spend a fortune to get a nice(ish) road bike. Have a look on ebay, or if you're confident enough, then pick up and old 80's racer from the local tip and service it yourself - I've done this a number of times and have some pretty decent (though highly unfashionable!) bikes in the shed now. My top tip here would be to make sure the bottom bracket isn't loose - everything else is a doddle to work on.

Wheelist

john74 said:
what if i found the skinniest smoothest set of tyres that will fit my mtn bike do you think this would cure my desire for the black top.
Maybe.

The problem here is that you'll need to change tyres every time you want to ride somewhere different.

A cheap pair of spare wheels might be the answer, though you'll need to ensure the rims are the same width, so that your brakes don't need to be adjusted.

Wheelist

that means i will need the same discs. and another cassette, i didnt think you could use the same chain on 2 different cassettes? i dont know im not an expert on the techy side of things.

john74 said:
that means i will need the same discs. and another cassette, i didnt think you could use the same chain on 2 different cassettes? i dont know im not an expert on the techy side of things.
If you're using discs this makes things a bit more complicated. I guess you'd be okay if you bought exactly the same wheels, but with discs this is probably gonna be a more expensive option than a cheapie road bike, and your brake alignment becomes more critical.

There's little problem using the same chain on 2 different cassettes, as ling as they use the same width sprockets, though it *might* increase wear on the newer set.

I'd go for a second bike - much simpler, and less hassle in the long run.

Wheelist.

john74 said:
on ebay they sell pink aprons and stockings for people just like you...you're obviously turning into a girl....good luck...

if not being allowed due to space I park my mtb and roadie side by side not much more space is taken up. If its because of the Mrs well it comes down to the bottom line and if the bottom line is the same and you have two bikes whats the difference? You should be free to choose a hobby as long as it doesnt take more time or a whole lot more funds plus if you spread time between two bikes they last twice as long.
-if you sell your mtb, will you get something in a roadie you really want? being something "slick" you probably need to by new gear, shoes, knicks, jerseys etc.. the list is never ending you may end up spending more than you planned.
What if you find out it was a phase and you have sold your mtb?
Find a cheapie road theres always someone who has decided they are bitten by the bike bug and buy new bike and discover its not for them who wants to sell. If the speed and miles sound exciting, a roadie may be for you. If you really get into sell your mtb later and use the money for upgrade, gear etc.. (putting slicks on a mtb and riding on the road is not the same)
Only you know what does it for you, everything else are just opinions.
If you can't decide and must decide, make two columns on paper put MTB in one and ROAD on other and write all the pros and cons in each and add it up and decide. If you like in Column 3 put the "Mrs" hehe :D

** I remember my first time on a real offroad trail. my passion for it was much more than rolling on pavement.

I also converted to Road cycling about 2 months ago. I used to ride about 15 miles on my MTB and I know I ride 60-70 miles on my Road bike and I love it. I am not getting rid of my MTB though. Next year I will mix it up but I can feel that my heart belongs to Road more than MTB....

john74 said:
thats the thing i cant afford and wont be allowed both so, i must make a decision. and when i say mtn biking i mean proper off road technical single track, big rocky climbs and plenty of mud. maybe the grass isnt greener on the other side,hell i dont know.:confused:
Perhaps you could justify the expense of a new bike if you used it for commuting? It's a damn fine way to get some exercise in whilst not wasting too much extra time too.

If you're in the UK, then you could get your employer to take part in the Bike2Work scheme, and save yourself about 40% of the price of a new bike.

Wheelist