Being too cautious can be dangerous

Smithee

Mar 27, 2016
According to a Lifehacker article, cyclists who are too cautious often stay closer to the edge of the road because they are terrified of getting hit. This however may actually put the cyclist in danger.

Staying on the side of the road safer though it might appear may not be that great because motorists and pedestrians might ignore you. To avoid this you have to ring your bell all the time [a bit of hyperbole doesn't hurt] and use the full lane if you have to. The last part does sound counter-intuitive but it certainly does make you more noticeable.

Thoughts? How dangerous is being too cautious?

Yes, I think it involves being too paranoid to actually make a decision, and instead of using common sense to make a decision, you would rather stick with the "road rules" and these sometimes lead to accidents because the biker didn't think fast enough. Sure, we can be very cautious especially on a busy highway, but there are really times that you need to make a snap decision that could very well involve your life, and that's where the dangers lie.

This thread reminds me when I was learning how to drive. I would drive so slow and no one can fault me because it is normal to be over cautious when you are a beginner on the steering wheel. But my husband said that driving too slow may attract accidents especially when the road is a busy street. With the bike, it is more dangerous to be moving slowly. I guess it is just a balance - drive moderately fast but not too fast nor too slow.

Well, I'm a cautious cyclist as I've experienced a few close calls. However, I never ride too close to the edge or curb of the road, as it's all too easy to experience a mishap. And I don't think ringing the bike bell makes much of a difference when dealing with motorists since they're unlikely to hear you.

Being too paranoid also makes bike riding less enjoyable by the way. Always freaking out for statistical figures that probably would not apply in the local environment. A biker just really needs is essential protection, common sense and good hand eye coordination. And of course a good set of lights during night rides, to warn even the most absent minded car driver.

I think I count as one of the paranoid cautious riders, at least when I'm on the edge of a busy road or highway. I can't really help it, I've seen too many careless cars weave around because they aren't paying attention.

Of course, this just means that I try to plan my routes to avoid busy streets or roads without a shoulder or sidewalks for a bicycle lane. I'd much rather enjoy myself and take a little more time to get to my destination than freak out the whole time and have a tension headache by the time I arrive.

This thread reminds me when I was learning how to drive. I would drive so slow and no one can fault me because it is normal to be over cautious when you are a beginner on the steering wheel. But my husband said that driving too slow may attract accidents especially when the road is a busy street. With the bike, it is more dangerous to be moving slowly. I guess it is just a balance - drive moderately fast but not too fast nor too slow.
I agree with you. Moderation is the key and if we drive at moderate speed instead of too fast or too slow, we would be safe.