Beinn Chabhair

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by trek, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. trek

    trek Guest

    Hi, thinking of going here on Sunday, has anyone been here recently,
    what are the ground conditions like? Heard it can be very boggy, and
    how difficult is route finding on it? thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Mike

    Mike Guest

    trek wrote:
    > Hi, thinking of going here on Sunday, has anyone been here recently,
    > what are the ground conditions like? Heard it can be very boggy, and
    > how difficult is route finding on it? thanks.

    The "baggers route" is pretty boggy. No real route finding problems from
    what I recall. What should be in your favour though is that the cold
    weather should have iced up all the bogs.

    The 2nd time I went up it we did it from An Casteal which is a hell of
    a lot more interesting and far less boggy with some good scrambling
    options if desired.. Slight issue of amount of altitude dropped and
    regained though.

    --
    Mike
    Some pictures of the Scottish Highlands here http://www.prog99.com

  3. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > trek wrote:

    > The 2nd time I went up it we did it from An Casteal which is a hell of a
    > lot more interesting and far less boggy with some good scrambling options
    > if desired.. Slight issue of amount of altitude dropped and regained
    > though.

    Quite a big belach between these two, are you getting confused with the
    questionable reascents of the neighbouring hills of Cruach Ardrain / Beinn
    Tulaichean. or An Caisteal / Beinn a Chroin. both a bit dodgy!

    I did this group by parking at the top of Glen Falloch, cycling down to
    Inverarnan hotel at the northern end of Loch Lomand, Then ascending Beinn
    Chabhair,then over onto An Caisteal & Beinn a Chroin then the big descent
    reascent onto Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Ardrain and then back out over the
    Grey Hieghts, Big day out with something like 7000' ascent

    quick plug of my interactive munro map
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/munros/

  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Stuart wrote:

    > Quite a big belach between these two, are you getting confused with the
    > questionable reascents of the neighbouring hills of Cruach Ardrain / Beinn
    > Tulaichean. or An Caisteal / Beinn a Chroin. both a bit dodgy!

    I think I meant the amount dropped and regained to Beinn Chabhair from
    An Caisteal followed by dropping back down and then up to Beinn a Chroin.

    My legs reminded me for aweek afterwards about this!

    > I did this group by parking at the top of Glen Falloch, cycling down to
    > Inverarnan hotel at the northern end of Loch Lomand, Then ascending Beinn
    > Chabhair,then over onto An Caisteal & Beinn a Chroin then the big descent
    > reascent onto Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Ardrain and then back out over the
    > Grey Hieghts, Big day out with something like 7000' ascent
    >
    > quick plug of my interactive munro map
    > http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/munros/

    And very good it is too!