Beinn Taruin / Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by KRO, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. KRO

    KRO Guest

    Seeing as I didn't visit these two last time after staying at the "haunted
    bothy" I decided to return (Friday) as these things get to me... Trying a
    a different route I parked at the spot commonly used for the western
    Fannichs (NH162761) and walked west along the northern shore of
    Loch a' Bhraoin. This track is good for walking on, no problems, even
    saw some bike tracks on it. Lochivraon is swarming with midges, and
    with one gaiter on I fled to a quieter spot to don the other. The route
    was now basically reversed from planned (from viewing choices) with
    MCMF first I headed for the slabby rocks on the west side, while steep
    they were dryish and made for a quick ascent. Aiming for a saddle
    between Sgurr Dubh and MCMF it was initially rough walking followed
    by steep climb to the saddle, change of clothing, gaiters off and some
    juice. The summit from here was a doddle although unfortunately the
    cloud was flitting around obscuring views at the worst moments (the
    top!). The descent to the south is quite steep and then you're confronted
    with Meall Garbh, a 100m climb and then descent prior to Beinn Tarsuinn,
    obviously previous walkers feel the same way as me about this hill and
    there is a visible path running across it's NW flank. Nice. 200m or more
    ascent and Beinn Tarsuinn was reached with the cloud paying a further
    visit.... :-( The return was SE around Meall Garbh, across Coire Mhic
    Fhearchair to Bealach na Croise, then as suspected, a rough descent
    back to the walk-in path. Long walk but great day, intermittent drizzle,
    always warm. 13 cars in the layby on return.
    Returning today the weather was glorious, anyone up the hills must have
    had a wonderful day.

    KRO

    Tags:

  2. "KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Seeing as I didn't visit these two last time after staying at the

    "haunted
    > bothy" I decided to return (Friday) as these things get to me...

    Trying a
    > a different route I parked at the spot commonly used for the western
    > Fannichs (NH162761) and walked west along the northern shore of
    > Loch a' Bhraoin. This track is good for walking on, no problems,

    even
    > saw some bike tracks on it. Lochivraon is swarming with midges, and
    > with one gaiter on I fled to a quieter spot to don the other.

    Same problem in Argour today

    >The route was now basically reversed from planned (from viewing

    choices) with
    > MCMF first I headed for the slabby rocks on the west side, while

    steep
    > they were dryish and made for a quick ascent. Aiming for a saddle
    > between Sgurr Dubh and MCMF it was initially rough walking followed
    > by steep climb to the saddle, change of clothing, gaiters off and

    some
    > juice. The summit from here was a doddle although unfortunately the
    > cloud was flitting around obscuring views at the worst moments (the
    > top!). The descent to the south is quite steep and then you're

    confronted
    > with Meall Garbh, a 100m climb and then descent prior to Beinn

    Tarsuinn,
    > obviously previous walkers feel the same way as me about this hill

    and
    > there is a visible path running across it's NW flank. Nice. 200m or

    more
    > ascent and Beinn Tarsuinn was reached with the cloud paying a

    further
    > visit.... :-( The return was SE around Meall Garbh, across Coire

    Mhic
    > Fhearchair to Bealach na Croise, then as suspected, a rough descent
    > back to the walk-in path. Long walk but great day, intermittent

    drizzle,
    > always warm. 13 cars in the layby on return.

    Two good hills, I was lucky enough to do them as part of the
    Fisherfield six on a very long day ( 13 hours ) several years ago.
    Happy memories of a super area though

    > Returning today the weather was glorious, anyone up the hills must

    have
    > had a wonderful day.

    We did thanks ! Seperate TR posted

    > KRO

  3. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:14:31 +0100, "Graham Ingram"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Seeing as I didn't visit these two last time after staying at the

    >"haunted
    >> bothy" I decided to return (Friday) as these things get to me...

    >Trying a
    >> a different route I parked at the spot commonly used for the western
    >> Fannichs (NH162761) and walked west along the northern shore of
    >> Loch a' Bhraoin. This track is good for walking on, no problems,

    >even
    >> saw some bike tracks on it. Lochivraon is swarming with midges, and
    >> with one gaiter on I fled to a quieter spot to don the other.

    >Same problem in Argour today

    Hellish in the Attadale/Achnashellach area yesterday. Finally got
    that Beinn Tharsuinn(863m) done. Lovely hill, so much more than a
    pain to munro baggers....

    Most of the low level part of the trip was sone inside a probability
    distribution of clegs. No uncertanty as to their destination though.

    Richard Webb

  4. "RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:14:31 +0100, "Graham Ingram"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >> Seeing as I didn't visit these two last time after staying at the

    > >"haunted
    > >> bothy" I decided to return (Friday) as these things get to me...

    > >Trying a
    > >> a different route I parked at the spot commonly used for the

    western
    > >> Fannichs (NH162761) and walked west along the northern shore of
    > >> Loch a' Bhraoin. This track is good for walking on, no problems,

    > >even
    > >> saw some bike tracks on it. Lochivraon is swarming with midges,

    and
    > >> with one gaiter on I fled to a quieter spot to don the other.

    > >Same problem in Argour today

    > Hellish in the Attadale/Achnashellach area yesterday. Finally got
    > that Beinn Tharsuinn(863m) done. Lovely hill, so much more than a
    > pain to munro baggers....

    Didnt really see it as it was in thick mist when we traversed towards
    Cheesecake and Lurgy. made sure we got the summit with the GPs though
    ;-)

    > Most of the low level part of the trip was sone inside a probability
    > distribution of clegs. No uncertanty as to their destination

    though.

    I forgot to mention the clegs, we had about half a dozen or so mainly
    coming down through the bracken at the end of the day. Nasty little
    buggers drew blood on both of us !

    > Richard Webb

  5. KRO

    KRO Guest

    "RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hellish in the Attadale/Achnashellach area yesterday. Finally got
    > that Beinn Tharsuinn(863m) done. Lovely hill, so much more than a
    > pain to munro baggers....
    >
    > Most of the low level part of the trip was sone inside a probability
    > distribution of clegs. No uncertanty as to their destination though.

    Got you now! Yes, I know the one, it should be the next hill I stand on,
    as I plan to walk up (no books here) Bidean Coire Sheasgaich and Lurg
    Mhor. But I get your drift, I'll try and enjoy the hill, maybe more so on
    the
    way back...

    KRO

  6. KRO

    KRO Guest

    "RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hellish in the Attadale/Achnashellach area yesterday. Finally got
    > that Beinn Tharsuinn(863m) done. Lovely hill, so much more than a
    > pain to munro baggers....

    I've mentioned doing Beinn Tharsuinn as part of the Sheasgaich/Lurg Mhor
    route. Sitting in front of Memory-map is making me decide if it's the best
    way for me. Option one is above giving 27km and 9 hours approx with a
    fair bit ascent. This route in from Craig via Bealach Bearnais.
    Option two - in from Attadale to Bendronaig Lodge is giving 36 km
    of which 23km may be possible by bike, with the section on foot taking about
    4-1/2 hours. Hmmmm. Any comments on the track from Attadale to
    Bendronaig, I could do with a short-ish day as I'll have a 4+ hour
    drive there in the morning. It'll give me more time to wrestle with my new
    tent after the walk, *before* I go to the pub (it's been a long time) :)

    KRO

    KRO

  7. "KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Hellish in the Attadale/Achnashellach area yesterday. Finally

    got
    > > that Beinn Tharsuinn(863m) done. Lovely hill, so much more than

    > > pain to munro baggers....

    > I've mentioned doing Beinn Tharsuinn as part of the Sheasgaich/Lurg

    Mhor
    > route. Sitting in front of Memory-map is making me decide if it's

    the best
    > way for me. Option one is above giving 27km and 9 hours approx with

    > fair bit ascent. This route in from Craig via Bealach Bearnais.

    Did this route in July 2001 using the bikes up to the Bealach. This
    trip was truly an "Epic Day" for me and I have taken the liberty of
    copying my original TR below. Apologies for length of post

    Posted 8 July 2001
    Well this turned into a real epic ! We decided to do Bideain a'Choire
    Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor yesterday from Craig and to
    cycle up the track to the Pollan Bridge then do the Munros across
    Beinn Tharsuinn. Very low cloud ( 300m ) meant little or no
    visibility and a day on the compass. The summit ridge of the corbett
    was bad enough to route find ( best visibility less than 20m ) but we
    found it ok and down on to the bealach below Bideain a'Choire
    Sheasgaich.
    The
    sheer face of BaCS was fun in the mist and clag but again we
    persevered and worked our way on to the ridge. Again careful compass
    work took us over to Lurg Mhor in just under 6 hours from the car ( a
    lot of time taken checking bearings and slow progress in the mist ).
    And then it all went horribly wrong. Complacency obviously set in as
    we headed back to the col but must have almost circled round in the
    mist and then because the aspect of the hill SEEMED correct ( hill
    sloping down to right hand side ) we started to descend. Yes, you
    guessed it, down the SOUTH side and not the North. Unfortunately in
    the mist and cloud we were well down into the valley before
    realisation dawned. Mistake number two was not immediately
    backtracking across the col but deciding to contour round Sail
    Riabhach and down toward the Bearneas bothy. By the time we picked up
    the track we still had about 7k to walk UP the west side of the
    Bealach Bhearnais. This is made more difficult by the track ending
    some 2k short of the Bealach. And then it started to rain! The end
    result was that it took us 4 hours from Lurg Mhor back to the Pollan
    Bridge, the bikes and a 20 minute scoot back down to the car. So a
    fairly straightforward day turned into a 10.5 hour epic. Obviously
    many lessons to be learned, but mainly that the navigation doesn't
    stop at the summit and if you do go astray, fully work out the options
    BEFORE setting out on a new route. However, all well that ends well
    and it is yet another story to tell on a wet day in the pub.

    Cheers
    Graham> Option two - in from Attadale to Bendronaig Lodge is giving 36
    km
    > of which 23km may be possible by bike, with the section on foot

    taking about
    > 4-1/2 hours. Hmmmm. Any comments on the track from Attadale to
    > Bendronaig, I could do with a short-ish day as I'll have a 4+ hour
    > drive there in the morning. It'll give me more time to wrestle with

    my new
    > tent after the walk, *before* I go to the pub (it's been a long

    time) :)

    Never did the walk from this side but the disadvantage is that you
    would miss the Corbett ~ may be significant for after you finish the
    Munros !

  8. "KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

> [...]

    BEFORE setting out on a new route. However, all well that ends well
    and it is yet another story to tell on a wet day in the pub.

    Cheers
    Graham> Option two - in from Attadale to Bendronaig Lodge is giving 36
    km
    > of which 23km may be possible by bike, with the section on foot

    taking about
    > 4-1/2 hours. Hmmmm. Any comments on the track from Attadale to
    > Bendronaig, I could do with a short-ish day as I'll have a 4+ hour
    > drive there in the morning. It'll give me more time to wrestle with

    my new
    > tent after the walk, *before* I go to the pub (it's been a long

    time) :)

    Never did the walk from this side but the disadvantage is that you
    would miss the Corbett ~ may be significant for after you finish the

  9. KRO

    KRO Guest

    "Graham Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Did this route in July 2001 using the bikes up to the Bealach. This
    > trip was truly an "Epic Day" for me and I have taken the liberty of
    > copying my original TR below. Apologies for length of post

    Length fine, good to see we all make mistakes! I like the sound of 20 mins
    back to the car. I've checked this distance on MM, unfortunately it's a
    saved track and not an active, so I can't find out how long it took from
    Pollan, (I used a wire bridge at GRef NH 076 466 to get to the bealach
    Bearnais on the way to Sgurr Choinnich).

    >Any comments on the track from Attadale to
    > > Bendronaig,

    > Never did the walk from this side but the disadvantage is that you
    > would miss the Corbett ~ may be significant for after you finish the
    > Munros !

    I don't know if I could handle another obsession :)

    KRO

  10. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:20:29 +0000 (UTC), "KRO" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Graham Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Did this route in July 2001 using the bikes up to the Bealach. This
    >> trip was truly an "Epic Day" for me and I have taken the liberty of
    >> copying my original TR below. Apologies for length of post

    >Length fine, good to see we all make mistakes! I like the sound of 20 mins
    >back to the car.

    Yes but please warn walkers on the track.. I got so fed up with being
    scared by fast approaching bikes last week that I lost it and started
    shouting at them... A shout or dare I say it bell is all that is
    required.. With no engine you are bigger heart attack fodder than a
    cock capercailie..

    It looks a real fun descent!

    Richard Webb

  11. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >Never did the walk from this side but the disadvantage is that you
    >would miss the Corbett ~ may be significant for after you finish the
    >Munros !

    Does not matter - Tharsuinn is good enough on its own....

    Did the two higher hills from Glen Elchaig.. and went back for BEn
    Dronaig another time.. This is not one visit country!

    Richard webb

  12. KRO

    KRO Guest

    "RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:20:29 +0000 (UTC), "KRO" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Graham Ingram" <[email protected].co.uk> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >> Did this route in July 2001 using the bikes up to the Bealach. This
    > >> trip was truly an "Epic Day" for me and I have taken the liberty of
    > >> copying my original TR below. Apologies for length of post

    > >Length fine, good to see we all make mistakes! I like the sound of 20

    mins
    > >back to the car.

    > Yes but please warn walkers on the track.. I got so fed up with being
    > scared by fast approaching bikes last week that I lost it and started
    > shouting at them... A shout or dare I say it bell is all that is
    > required.. With no engine you are bigger heart attack fodder than a
    > cock capercailie..
    >
    > It looks a real fun descent!
    >
    > Richard Webb

    What does a fun descent mean ascent wise :) I've used a bike twice and
    starting at the time I do, I haven't seen a soul. While walking I've never
    seen
    anyone else on a bike. Maybe it's just the hills I pick.

    KRO

  13. Rob Milne

    Rob Milne Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (KRO) wrote:

    > Option two - in from Attadale to Bendronaig Lodge is giving 36 km
    > of which 23km may be possible by bike, with the section on foot taking
    > about
    > 4-1/2 hours. Hmmmm. Any comments on the track from Attadale to
    > Bendronaig, I could do with a short-ish day as I'll have a 4+ hour
    > drive there in the morning. It'll give me more time to wrestle with my
    > new
    > tent after the walk, *before* I go to the pub (it's been a long time)
    > :)

    A bit late of a response, perhaps you have now been in there.
    I recommend this option. Last Saturday I went in this way on my bike and
    did Ben Dronaig. Based on my recent, visit this is the way to go!
    I took 1.5 hours from the nicely provided 'walkers car park' just off the
    main road at Attadale house to the Lodge. This involved a lot of pushing
    my bike up the steep hill. A good track all the way but it goes UP and
    then DOWN, look at the map ...
    The path beyond the lodge is now a good landrover track, right up and past
    the hill. So you can cycle (push) all the way to the loch just S of the
    summits. Looks like a fast walk from there. Then a lot of downhill on the
    way out, but one big hill to get up.

    Dronaig was a great viewpoint, in clear, sunny skies :cool:
    5.5hour round trip for it and no real midgy problems.

  14. KRO

    KRO Guest

    "Rob Milne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A bit late of a response, perhaps you have now been in there.
    > I recommend this option. Last Saturday I went in this way on my bike and
    > did Ben Dronaig. Based on my recent, visit this is the way to go!
    > I took 1.5 hours from the nicely provided 'walkers car park' just off the
    > main road at Attadale house to the Lodge. This involved a lot of pushing
    > my bike up the steep hill. A good track all the way but it goes UP and
    > then DOWN, look at the map ...
    > The path beyond the lodge is now a good landrover track, right up and past
    > the hill. So you can cycle (push) all the way to the loch just S of the
    > summits. Looks like a fast walk from there. Then a lot of downhill on the
    > way out, but one big hill to get up.
    >
    > Dronaig was a great viewpoint, in clear, sunny skies :cool:
    > 5.5hour round trip for it and no real midgy problems.

    Thanks very much Rob, I didn't make it last week, I lost my enthusiasm for
    driving! Glen Lyon was far enough. Thanks for the info about the path
    going further than the Lodge, it already looked good for bike access, (SMC
    Corbetts book) and looking at the profile on Memory Map has already
    indicated that climb (from sea level) as 350 metres. I'm booked into
    Altbeithe
    for this weekends attempt at the 3 Munros to the north, so I *do* intend
    to cycle your described access route the following weekend. I'm trying to
    get to a few of the remoter Munros before winter, and these two have been
    taunting me for a couple of months now.......

    KRO

  15. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >What does a fun descent mean ascent wise :)

    No more effort than walking up! And you shall later receive your
    reward, while my knees get a pounding

    Richard Webb

  16. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    On T
    >The path beyond the lodge is now a good landrover track,

    It was an even better path!

    I was up nearby Meall Sgumain yesterday, could not see Dronaig due to
    Faochaig in the way, but it was a great day. Unlike driving back
    today when I just got through Glen Ogle in time

    Richard Webb

  17. >
    > I was up nearby Meall Sgumain yesterday, could not see Dronaig due

    > Faochaig in the way, but it was a great day. Unlike driving back
    > today when I just got through Glen Ogle in time
    >
    > Richard Webb

    Just seen the pics on the new again tonight, Looks like the long way
    round this Saturday, good job the A9 is open so I can cut through
    Laggan to Spean Bridge and beyond

    Cheers
    Graham