Beinn Trilleachan

Graham Ingram

Guest
This Saturday's trip took us 12 miles down Glen Etive almost to the pier. The morning sun was indeed
shining on the Etive slabs just as indicated in the Corbett book ! We parked just opposite the edge
of the trees and took the faint path towards the low point of the NE ridge. A steep pull up the
ridge soon brought its reward in fantastic views all round. The most spectacular point is the cairn
at 767m where a few steps takes you to the edge of the precipice overlooking Loch Etive ~ What a
viewpoint. The drop off the 767 point is an easy fun scramble over slabby granite and was over all
too soon. ( could be interesting descending this part in the mist as a few degrees out will ring a
very sudden drop ! ) A short stroll SW soon brought us to the real summit and after adding a few
inches to the well built cairn we simply turned and retraced our steps. A super little mountain for
a short day

--
Cheers
Graham

"Where the eagles cry, On a mountain high"

284/284 78/219

Return email ~ REMOVE to reply

"Graham Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This Saturday's trip took us 12 miles down Glen Etive almost to the pier. The morning sun was
> indeed shining on the Etive slabs just as indicated in the Corbett book ! We parked just opposite
> the edge of the trees and took the faint path towards the low point of the NE ridge. A steep pull
> up the ridge soon brought its reward in fantastic views all round. The most spectacular point is
> the cairn at 767m where a few steps takes you to the edge of the precipice overlooking Loch Etive
> ~ What a viewpoint. The drop off the 767 point is an easy fun scramble over slabby granite and was
> over all too soon. ( could be interesting descending this part in the mist as a few degrees out
> will ring a very sudden drop ! ) A short stroll SW soon brought us to the real summit and after
> adding a few inches to the well built cairn we simply turned and retraced our steps. A super
> little mountain for a short day
>
> --
> Cheers Graham
>
> "Where the eagles cry, On a mountain high"
>
> 284/284 78/219

I notice the figures at the bottom, and was wondering how much conscious effort you are making to do
a round of the Corbetts, are you exclusively walking Corbetts, avoiding Munros, or do you just walk
when and where you like, seeing an additional peak as a bonus?

KRO

> > --
> > Cheers Graham
> >
> > "Where the eagles cry, On a mountain high"
> >
> > 284/284 78/219
>
> I notice the figures at the bottom, and was wondering how much conscious effort you are making to
> do a round of the Corbetts, are you exclusively walking Corbetts, avoiding Munros, or do you just
> walk when and where you like, seeing an additional peak as a bonus?

I started walking with my son in 1993 when he was 8, and we completed the Munros together in 2001
just before his 17th birthday. For the last few years of that round we walked with a friend who had
already finished the Munros in 1992 and by the time we finished in 2001 he had just 31 to go for a
second round so that became the next target and he completed round 2 in 2002, 10 years to the day
after his first round. As my son then went to Uni in Edinburgh just Frank and I regularly walk at
the weekends now and I have to say that the Corbetts are our first choice just now. That said I have
now also managed to do about 80 Munros for the second time ( or more in some cases ) and we have
also selected some scrambling routes such as the Fiachall ridge for example. Basically Corbetts are
the mountains of choice, but the Aonach Eagach, and Skye are regularly visited. Curved Ridge and
hills such as Suilven and Stac Pollaidh are definitely on the agenda for this year. I also lead a
company charity hill climb each year ( Ben Nevis & Ben Lomond over the last two years and
Schiehallion will probably feature some time this June ). I will also walk anywhere in Scotland if
there is an opportunity to do so, coastal, track, or pass.

Do you have any strategy or targets as I often see you posting on walks in a number of different
areas in Scotland ?

Cheers Graham

"Graham Ingram" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I started walking with my son in 1993 when he was 8, and we completed the Munros together in 2001
> just before his 17th birthday. For the last few years of that round we walked with a friend who
> had already finished the Munros in 1992 and by the time we finished in 2001 he had just 31 to go
> for a second round so that became the next target and he completed round 2 in 2002, 10 years to
> the day after his first round. As my son then went to Uni in Edinburgh just Frank and I regularly
> walk at the weekends now and I have to say that the Corbetts are our first choice just now. That
> said I have now also managed to do about 80 Munros for the second time ( or more in some cases )
> and we have also selected some scrambling routes such as the Fiachall ridge for example. Basically
> Corbetts are the mountains of choice, but the Aonach Eagach, and Skye are regularly visited.
> Curved Ridge and hills such as Suilven and Stac Pollaidh are definitely on the agenda for this
> year. I also lead a company charity hill climb each year ( Ben Nevis & Ben Lomond over the last
> two years and Schiehallion will probably feature some time this June ). I will also walk anywhere
> in Scotland if there is an opportunity to do so, coastal, track, or pass.
>
> Do you have any strategy or targets as I often see you posting on walks in a number of different
> areas in Scotland ?
>
> Cheers Graham

Yes, I'm aiming to do a round of the Munros, even though these days it seems almost frowned upon to
admit it. I've done a few of the better known Corbetts locally (Goatfell, Cobbler, Merrick) but as a
rule it's Munros I aim for. My hat off to yourself and others who have managed one round, more than
one is indicative of real effort! I find it's not the actual walking it's the travel to and from the
actual area, getting up at 4.30 on a dark winters morning on my day off still doesn't appeal to me,
but that's forgotten about once I'm in my stride. I am re-visiting and seeing for the first time
areas of Scotland I simply wouldn't have gone to otherwise. I do agree that a round of the Corbetts
would be harder than the Munros - no opportunity to "bag" (horrible term) 7 in Glen Shiel for
example. When, and if, I compleat? I'm sure I'll continue, there's the choice of Furth, the local
hills of Dumfries/Galloway, revisit the better Munros, LDPs etc. But less 4.30am starts!

KRO

>Yes, I'm aiming to do a round of the Munros, even though these days it seems almost frowned upon to
>admit it. I've done a few of the better known Corbetts locally (Goatfell, Cobbler, Merrick) but as
>a rule it's Munros I aim for. My hat off to yourself and others who have managed one round, more
>than one is indicative of real effort!

Well I'm currently on my 12th round.

Even though I've yet to finish my first :)

"Simon Caldwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Yes, I'm aiming to do a round of the Munros, even though these days it seems almost frowned upon
> >to admit it. I've done a few of the better known Corbetts locally (Goatfell, Cobbler, Merrick)
> >but as a rule it's Munros I aim for. My hat off to yourself and others who have managed one
> >round, more than one is indicative of real effort!
>
> Well I'm currently on my 12th round.
>
> Even though I've yet to finish my first :)

Yes, my Munro walking has seen me finish a few rounds so far!

KRO

KRO said

> I find it's not the actual walking it's the travel to and from the
actual
> area, getting up at 4.30 on a dark winters morning on my day off still doesn't appeal to me,

I am very fortunate in that I live in Crieff and can be anywhere in Scotland south of the great Glen
in under two hours. Around the Ullapool road, Torridon etc take about 3 hours and even the very far
North, Ben Hope etc are less than a 4 hour drive away. Leaving Crieff at 6:30 am gets us most places
in time to do a full days walk and return home on the same day. Obviously a weekend trip to Skye for
example is better than rushing it !

I am also lucky enough to have a quality company car and free fuel so the trips cost me nothing
other than the time involved. I actually prefer the earlier start and even if walking very local we
tend to leave at the same time and start early, often before 8 am ~ the best part of the day IMO

cheers Graham

I started deliberately going for Corbetts in 1982, after a brief dose of munroitis... Still have
about 17 to do. Meanwhile there are all sorts of ploys and games.. Was even up a Munro on Sunday!

I am **** at closing out lists, towards the end they become restrictive, I dont like " restrictive"

Richard Webb
277/277 202 /219

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:48:10 +0000, Simon Caldwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>Yes, I'm aiming to do a round of the Munros, even though these days it seems almost frowned upon
>>to admit it. I've done a few of the better known Corbetts locally (Goatfell, Cobbler, Merrick) but
>>as a rule it's Munros I aim for. My hat off to yourself and others who have managed one round,
>>more than one is indicative of real effort!
>
>Well I'm currently on my 12th round.
>
>Even though I've yet to finish my first :)

Not a clean slater then?

Neither am I...

Richard Webb

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I started deliberately going for Corbetts in 1982, after a brief dose of munroitis... Still have
> about 17 to do. Meanwhile there are all sorts of ploys and games.. Was even up a Munro on Sunday!
>
> I am **** at closing out lists, towards the end they become restrictive, I dont like "
> restrictive"

> Richard Webb
> 277/277 202 /219

That's what they all say :) Yesterday was good, 170 miles driving, opened the boot and realised my
jacket was still in the house. Back in the car and home by 11, and then the pub. I'll try again
tomorrow..........

KRO

>That's what they all say :) Yesterday was good, 170 miles driving, opened the boot and realised my
>jacket was still in the house. Back in the car and home by 11, and then the pub. I'll try again
>tomorrow..........

Ouch!

I'd be scanning the map for some nice sheltered low level jaunt...

Been there , done that!

Richard Webb

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >That's what they all say :) Yesterday was good, 170 miles driving, opened the boot and realised
> >my jacket was still in the house. Back in the car and home by 11, and then the pub. I'll try
> >again tomorrow..........
> >

> Ouch!
>
> I'd be scanning the map for some nice sheltered low level jaunt...
>
> Been there , done that!
>
> Richard Webb

Thanks, knowing other people make the same mistake eases the embarrassment a bit ! I once forgot my
boots but thankfully I was only 5 minutes up the road. I've mentioned somewhere else on here that I
am not fond of 4.30 am starts on my day off, I should have stated I am even less fond of 4.30am
starts on my day off when it amounts to nothing! However I'm already laughing about it.

KRO

>Thanks, knowing other people make the same mistake eases the embarrassment a bit ! I once forgot my
>boots but thankfully I was only 5 minutes up the road.

Donethat a few times... Worst one was not me but my wife, on a bothy maintainance visit. Solved
the problem by popping into a garden centre and getting some wellies. Far better in those
Dumfriesshire bogs.

Same trip, I left the maps behind so, skied up Broad Law on memory. Lucky with the weather.

Richard Webb

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Donethat a few times... Worst one was not me but my wife, on a bothy maintainance visit. Solved
> the problem by popping into a garden centre and getting some wellies. Far better in those
> Dumfriesshire bogs.
>
> Same trip, I left the maps behind so, skied up Broad Law on memory. Lucky with the weather.
>
> Richard Webb

Success! Remembered my jacket and had a lovely morning up Stob a Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar,
plenty snow on tops, some mean looking cornicing but no wind, and mostly dry!

KRO

>Success! Remembered my jacket and had a lovely morning up Stob a Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar,
>plenty snow on tops, some mean looking cornicing but no wind, and mostly dry!
>
>KRO

Was on Stob a'Choire Odhair on Sunday (29/02)

http://www.crux.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/balbum/Scotland/3c/ChoireOdhair.html

No snow on this one, ridiculous; on a Munro in Feb, and I never changed out of my trainers. Had a
very slow companion, so it was a gentle single ticket day, Ben Toaig was a relaxing return.

Last Sunday was a cracker!

Richard Webb

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Was on Stob a'Choire Odhair on Sunday (29/02)
>
> http://www.crux.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/balbum/Scotland/3c/C-
> hoireOdhair.html
>
> No snow on this one, ridiculous; on a Munro in Feb, and I
> never changed out of my trainers. Had a very slow
> companion, so it was a gentle single ticket day, Ben Toaig
> was a relaxing return.
>
> Last Sunday was a cracker!
>
> Richard Webb

Well to be honest the majority of snow was on the Stob
Ghabhar side, too icy etc to attempt descent via the uphill
route from the 668m low point between the two Munros, so set
off southwards then SE to join the path again near the
waterfall. And a thoroughly leisured enjoyable drive back.
More like this please :)

KRO

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Was on Stob a'Choire Odhair on Sunday (29/02)
>
> http://www.crux.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/balbum/Scotland/3c/C-
> hoireOdhair.html
>
> No snow on this one, ridiculous; on a Munro in Feb, and I
> never changed out of my trainers. Had a very slow
> companion, so it was a gentle single ticket day, Ben Toaig
> was a relaxing return.
>
> Last Sunday was a cracker!
>
> Richard Webb

Well to be honest the majority of snow was on the Stob
Ghabhar side, too icy etc to attempt descent via the uphill
route from the 668m low point between the two Munros, so set
off southwards then SE to join the path again near the
waterfall. And a thoroughly leisured enjoyable drive back.
More like this please :)

KRO

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Was on Stob a'Choire Odhair on Sunday (29/02)
>
> http://www.crux.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/balbum/Scotland/3c/C-
> hoireOdhair.html
>
> No snow on this one, ridiculous; on a Munro in Feb, and I
> never changed out of my trainers. Had a very slow
> companion, so it was a gentle single ticket day, Ben Toaig
> was a relaxing return.

I climbed Ben Toaig with SCO a couple of years ago. A misty
afternoon, enormous cloud banks swirling about over Rannoch
moor. We descended the north east ridge down to the West
Highland Way, which was fine at first but pretty laborious
after the slope evened out.

--

Bernie Get back on the wagon to reply..