Belated follow-up to: Chain doubles up on itself when riding without pedalling

disappointedwithqtek

Guest
Hello,
researching my name looking for replies to a more recent post I came
across some replies to an earlier demand I hadn't yet taken into
account, hence this followup post.

Original post:

I can't sem to find the answer to a peculiar problem, that my local
bicycle repairman has been unable to fix.

Case in question is a MTB with ca. 2000 Deore XT. I had it in storage
for approximately three years while abroad (where my more recent bike
was stolen). Now when I ride it with my feet on the pedals, but without
actually pedalling, the rear wheel will rotate the chain forward which
doubles up on itself. This is very annoying, also because when I start
pedalling again, there is no immediate response, because the slack
chain has got to be reeled in first. If I roll forward and raise my
feet off the pedals, they will spin too (which they aren't supposed to
do). Oddly enough they don't spin if I just push the bike (no weight on
it).

The bike repairshop man says that due to the long storage duration, the
lubricant in the rear wheel bearings has become "resin-like" and
sticky, and he cannot fix it.

Do I need a whole new wheel? Suggestions please.

---

Thanks again for the several suggestions, that I should get a better
mechanic, and the explanations how to do the repair myself.

I tried #1 who wasn't at all enthusistic, told me that it would take 2
weeks (high season then) and cost EUR50 without guarantee that it would
work.

Doing it myself was beyond my capacities/tools. So I opted for option
3, buying a set of two new wheels incl hubs for EUR70, given also that
quite a few spokes were somewhat loose or bent. Sue enough the front
brake squeaks since, but otherwise fine now.

The last poster had been "thrown off" by the fact that the pedals/chain
would behave normally (ie not rotate) if the bike was merely pushed as
opposed to me sitting on it, rolling. In reply I would have to say,
that there was no further damage to the wheel or frame, and that the
bike had no supension. So why the occurence of the phenomenon was very
reproducibly load-related remains somewhat ill explained, but at any
rate I have gotten rid of the problem.

Thanks again,

Daniel

disappointedwithqtek wrote:
Now when I ride it with my feet on the pedals, but without
> actually pedalling, the rear wheel will rotate the chain forward which
> doubles up on itself. This is very annoying, also because when I start
> pedalling again, there is no immediate response, because the slack
> chain has got to be reeled in first.

Well I hope you still have the wheels.. in many cases (where age/time
are the cause) all you need to do is work the lube in the freehub
body.. pedal backwards .. a lot.

Most likely fix is remove axle, remove Freehub body .. CLEAN and apply
light oil to free hub body seal (machine oil for prefrence) re
assemble. Say 15 to 20 minutes by a competant wrench.

Worst case replace the Freehub body .. requires cone wrench and a 10 mm
Allen Key.
Quicker than above but parts must be purchased.

On 7 Jul 2006 09:06:31 -0700, "disappointedwithqtek"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello,
>researching my name looking for replies to a more recent post I came
>across some replies to an earlier demand I hadn't yet taken into
>account, hence this followup post.
>
>Original post:
>
>I can't sem to find the answer to a peculiar problem, that my local
>bicycle repairman has been unable to fix.
>
>Case in question is a MTB with ca. 2000 Deore XT. I had it in storage
>for approximately three years while abroad (where my more recent bike
>was stolen). Now when I ride it with my feet on the pedals, but without
>actually pedalling, the rear wheel will rotate the chain forward which
>doubles up on itself. This is very annoying, also because when I start
>pedalling again, there is no immediate response, because the slack
>chain has got to be reeled in first. If I roll forward and raise my
>feet off the pedals, they will spin too (which they aren't supposed to
>do). Oddly enough they don't spin if I just push the bike (no weight on
>it).
>
>The bike repairshop man says that due to the long storage duration, the
>lubricant in the rear wheel bearings has become "resin-like" and
>sticky, and he cannot fix it.
>
>Do I need a whole new wheel? Suggestions please.

That bike shop should be avoided.

The freewheel or freehub needs to be freed up by drizzling a little
motor oil into the works and spinning it until it operates properly.
That's all you need to do.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello,
>researching my name looking for replies to a more recent post I came
>across some replies to an earlier demand I hadn't yet taken into
>account, hence this followup post.
>
>Original post:
>
>I can't sem to find the answer to a peculiar problem, that my local
>bicycle repairman has been unable to fix.
>
>Case in question is a MTB with ca. 2000 Deore XT. I had it in storage
>for approximately three years while abroad (where my more recent bike
>was stolen). Now when I ride it with my feet on the pedals, but without
>actually pedalling, the rear wheel will rotate the chain forward which
>doubles up on itself. This is very annoying, also because when I start
>pedalling again, there is no immediate response, because the slack
>chain has got to be reeled in first. If I roll forward and raise my
>feet off the pedals, they will spin too (which they aren't supposed to
>do). Oddly enough they don't spin if I just push the bike (no weight on
>it).
>
>The bike repairshop man says that due to the long storage duration, the
>lubricant in the rear wheel bearings has become "resin-like" and
>sticky, and he cannot fix it.
>
>Do I need a whole new wheel? Suggestions please.
>
>---
>

>Thanks again for the several suggestions, that I should get a better
>mechanic, and the explanations how to do the repair myself.
>
>I tried #1 who wasn't at all enthusistic, told me that it would take 2
>weeks (high season then) and cost EUR50 without guarantee that it would
>work.
>
>Doing it myself was beyond my capacities/tools. So I opted for option
>3, buying a set of two new wheels incl hubs for EUR70, given also that
>quite a few spokes were somewhat loose or bent. Sue enough the front
>brake squeaks since, but otherwise fine now.
>
>The last poster had been "thrown off" by the fact that the pedals/chain
>would behave normally (ie not rotate) if the bike was merely pushed as
>opposed to me sitting on it, rolling. In reply I would have to say,
>that there was no further damage to the wheel or frame, and that the
>bike had no supension. So why the occurence of the phenomenon was very
>reproducibly load-related remains somewhat ill explained, but at any
>rate I have gotten rid of the problem.

Very simple, you don't push the bike nearly as fast as you coast. It's speed
related.

Previous discussions of rheopectic substances may apply.

Ron

Too bad I threw them away! But then they were old, with bent and loose
spokes, and I felt I had spent enough time on trying to solve the
problem otherwise.
But thanks for yor suggestion! Someone else may find it and put it to
use after all.

No RonSonic,
this is not the reason (i think I would have figured that one out
myself in the couple of months this problem dogged me)!
The doubling up of the chain would occur at walking speeds with me on
the bike, rolling, but not when pushing it.
Cheers,
Daniel

On 11 Jul 2006 13:05:42 -0700, "disappointedwithqtek"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>No RonSonic,
>this is not the reason (i think I would have figured that one out
>myself in the couple of months this problem dogged me)!
>The doubling up of the chain would occur at walking speeds with me on
>the bike, rolling, but not when pushing it.

Aha! Possible worn out bearings or maladjusted cones. Did the wheel
tend to wobble a bit and rub the brake pads intermittently?

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

> Aha! Possible worn out bearings or maladjusted cones. Did the wheel
> tend to wobble a bit and rub the brake pads intermittently?

No, I'd say definetely not!

Regards,
Daniel

> Aha! Possible worn out bearings or maladjusted cones. Did the wheel
> tend to wobble a bit and rub the brake pads intermittently?

No, I'd say definetely not!

Regards,
Daniel

disappointedwithqtek wrote:
>> Aha! Possible worn out bearings or maladjusted cones. Did the wheel
>> tend to wobble a bit and rub the brake pads intermittently?

> No, I'd say definetely not!

Your symptom is classic for a hub with some friction in the
freewheel/freehub mechanism. This can be from dried up lube (rare),
debris in the interface or (very common) spoke protectors rubbing on the
hub.