Belgian selection for Worlds Verona 2004

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kenny, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Tom Boonen (23, Quickstep-Davitamon) RR
    Nick Nuyens (24, Quickstep-Davitamon) RR
    Jurgen Van Goolen (23, Quickstep-Davitamon) RR
    Philippe Gilbert (22, FDJ.com) RR
    Peter Van Petegem (34, Lotto-Domo) RR
    Serge Baguet (35, Lotto-Domo) RR
    Maxime Monfort (21, Landbouwkrediet-Colnago) RR
    Nico Sijmens (26, Landbouwkrediet-Colnago) RR
    Johan Van Summeren (23, Bodysol-Brustor) RR
    Bert Roesems (31, Bodysol-Brustor) TT
    Wim Van Huffel (25, Vlaanderen-T-Interim) RR
    Marc Wauters (35, Rabobank) RR + TT
    Geert Verheyen (31, Chocolade Jacques) RR

    I don't see anyone taking a medal. Too many youngsters and some
    experienced guys who are over the top. Maybe Gilbert top-10. Average
    age: 26.8

    Kenny

    Tags:

  2. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:

    >Tom Boonen (23, Quickstep-Davitamon) RR
    >Nick Nuyens (24, Quickstep-Davitamon) RR
    >Jurgen Van Goolen (23, Quickstep-Davitamon) RR
    >Philippe Gilbert (22, FDJ.com) RR
    >Peter Van Petegem (34, Lotto-Domo) RR
    >Serge Baguet (35, Lotto-Domo) RR
    >Maxime Monfort (21, Landbouwkrediet-Colnago) RR
    >Nico Sijmens (26, Landbouwkrediet-Colnago) RR
    >Johan Van Summeren (23, Bodysol-Brustor) RR
    >Bert Roesems (31, Bodysol-Brustor) TT
    >Wim Van Huffel (25, Vlaanderen-T-Interim) RR
    >Marc Wauters (35, Rabobank) RR + TT
    >Geert Verheyen (31, Chocolade Jacques) RR
    >
    >I don't see anyone taking a medal. Too many youngsters and some
    >experienced guys who are over the top. Maybe Gilbert top-10. Average
    >age: 26.8

    The main problem I see with these choices is that they don't fit well in
    that kind of course. Maybe the Belgian selectioner doesn't know that the
    course is not the same as in Verona '99 and that there's the same amount of
    climbing in a circuit that is about 2,5 Kms shorter?

    I thought that Merckx, KvdW and Rik Verbrugge were your riders who best fit
    this kind of course. Why aren't they on the list?

  3. Amit

    Amit Guest

    [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tom Boonen (23, Quickstep-Davitamon) RR

    ^^ everyone knows about him

    > Peter Van Petegem (34, Lotto-Domo) RR

    ^^ often has a good showing at worlds, medal last yr.

    > Johan Van Summeren (23, Bodysol-Brustor) RR

    ^^ excellent rouleur, silver in u-23 last year

    > I don't see anyone taking a medal. Too many youngsters and some
    > experienced guys who are over the top. Maybe Gilbert top-10. Average
    > age: 26.8

    I don't see who could make this team better other than Merckx.

    Bruylandts <-- out
    Aerts <-- not performing
    Verbrugge <-- not performing
    VDB <-- not ready
    Eddy <-- still 5 lbs over race weight

  4. [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message

    > I don't see anyone taking a medal. Too many
    > youngsters and some
    > experienced guys who are over the top.

    What is the parcours like? It seems to me Boonen, Van Petegem and
    perhaps Nuyens and Baguet have the capacity, though I'm not sure of
    their form at the moment.

    JT

  5. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message
    >
    > > I don't see anyone taking a medal. Too many
    > > youngsters and some
    > > experienced guys who are over the top.

    > What is the parcours like? It seems to me Boonen, Van Petegem and
    > perhaps Nuyens and Baguet have the capacity, though I'm not sure of
    > their form at the moment.
    >
    > JT

    http://www.mondiali2004.com/public/_cfm/page/page_372.cfm

    Don't forget to vote for Miss Mondiali on the home page.

  6. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:
    >
    > >Tom Boonen (23, Quickstep-Davitamon) RR
    > >Nick Nuyens (24, Quickstep-Davitamon) RR
    > >Jurgen Van Goolen (23, Quickstep-Davitamon) RR
    > >Philippe Gilbert (22, FDJ.com) RR
    > >Peter Van Petegem (34, Lotto-Domo) RR
    > >Serge Baguet (35, Lotto-Domo) RR
    > >Maxime Monfort (21, Landbouwkrediet-Colnago) RR
    > >Nico Sijmens (26, Landbouwkrediet-Colnago) RR
    > >Johan Van Summeren (23, Bodysol-Brustor) RR
    > >Bert Roesems (31, Bodysol-Brustor) TT
    > >Wim Van Huffel (25, Vlaanderen-T-Interim) RR
    > >Marc Wauters (35, Rabobank) RR + TT
    > >Geert Verheyen (31, Chocolade Jacques) RR
    > >
    > >I don't see anyone taking a medal. Too many youngsters and some
    > >experienced guys who are over the top. Maybe Gilbert top-10. Average
    > >age: 26.8

    > The main problem I see with these choices is that they don't fit well in
    > that kind of course. Maybe the Belgian selectioner doesn't know that the
    > course is not the same as in Verona '99 and that there's the same amount of
    > climbing in a circuit that is about 2,5 Kms shorter?

    He does know that, but truely, this was the best selection he could
    make. We're a little short in good riders at the moment. A new
    generation is coming but it is yet too soon

    > I thought that Merckx, KvdW and Rik Verbrugge were your riders who best fit
    > this kind of course. Why aren't they on the list?

    Merckx: fatigue after an excellent july and august (bronze in athens),
    no problems with that.
    Van de Wouwer: did you notice him in a top 10 of a significant race
    this year?
    Verbrugghe: His wife gives birth a week before the worlds and he
    chooses to stay at home. He did have a good month of August, which
    gave him the chance to sign at Quick Step, but since then: nothing
    Aerts: Didn't show anything during his two seasons at T-Mobile, so his
    selection is absolutely out of the question
    Bruylandts: suspended
    Hoste: wasn't really interested in going to the worlds. I think it
    has something to do with not being selected for the Olympics.
    Omloop: recovering from illness
    VDB: did not ride a significant race since Liege-Bastogne-Liege in
    april
    Steels: recovering and type of course is too difficult for him

  7. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    Amit wrote:

    > Eddy <-- still 5 lbs over race weight

    Where are Worlds next year?

  8. Andre

    Andre Guest

    [email protected] (John Forrest Tomlinson) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message
    >
    > > I don't see anyone taking a medal. Too many
    > > youngsters and some
    > > experienced guys who are over the top.

    > What is the parcours like? It seems to me Boonen, Van Petegem and
    > perhaps Nuyens and Baguet have the capacity, though I'm not sure of
    > their form at the moment.
    >
    > JT

    Nuyens has just won two races in a row whitin 10 days. Gilbert was
    second both times.