Believe New Suggested LTHR

robertjuric

Nov 25, 2012
I went on a group ride yesterday with some heavy climbing (for me at least) and when I get back Training Peaks has suggested a new Threshold HR based on my ride. I'ts up 5bpmcompared to my previous LTHR. I noticed quite a few times yesterday that my HR was in my Threshold zone but I didn't feel like I was working that hard. Should I believe this new LTHR and adjust my zones or just keep it how it was?

No, HR is not great, HR on hills really is an indicator of nothing. The only real way I would consider adjusting is if you were to do a test that indicated you should raise it. My guess is by using HR on training rides like this your TSS is through the roof, but that is the flaw of using HR. I guess that even using power your TSS would be higher than expected because of how those rides drive up NP.

I've noticed my HR is usually elevated when riding in a group or even with a partner and I was wondering if that is artificially elevated (stress, nerves, etc) or because I'm not pushing hard enough on solo rides.