BELL bicycle products

ed

Guest
I just found out the hard way BELL does not totally support the
products it sells. I bought a Night Shield & Night Trail lights for
my son's bike. The bike was stolen and recovered but luckily the
lights had been removed. I tried to get a replacemnt mounts for the
lights but BELL doesn't do replacement parts.

Now I'm stuck with lights I can't use.

Try to find a well-stocked shop. Sometimes other mounts can be made to
work.

Meanwhile, I agree! I was fairly upset when the mount on my Blackburn
(a Bell company at the time) snapped while under "warranty". Their "no
hassle!" policy is an absolute crock as I was told that, since they
don't sell that model anymore, I was SOL. Interstingly enough, the SAME
mount was then being sold by Schwinn, but the Schwinn dealer couldn't
get me one, either. (A bit of imagination resulted in a usable, stable
mount for the bag, but still... $#*&!!!)

On 28 Aug 2004 06:50:03 -0700, [email protected] (ed) wrote:

>I just found out the hard way BELL does not totally support the
>products it sells. I bought a Night Shield & Night Trail lights for
>my son's bike. The bike was stolen and recovered but luckily the
>lights had been removed. I tried to get a replacemnt mounts for the
>lights but BELL doesn't do replacement parts.
>
>Now I'm stuck with lights I can't use.

A hint: the mounting base, as a spare part, for a more expensive
name-brand headlight of my experience cost more than the entire Bell
headlight that I stabbed on to the SO's bike. The two lamps' mount
parts were sufficiently similar that with a bit of modification I
could probably have used the Bell's mount with the other one, saved
money, and tossed the (crummy) Bell light in the trash. In some
cases, such non-supply isn't lack of support so much as a recognition
that the economies of their production and distribution system do not
support spare parts availability at a price that is less than the
complete unit.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack says...
>money, and tossed the (crummy) Bell light in the trash. In some

The Bell products I have bought have all been poor quality, breaking easily.
The helmets are likely good enough since they must meet a standard.

Ed with at capital E wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack says...
>
>>money, and tossed the (crummy) Bell light in the trash. In some

> The Bell products I have bought have all been poor quality, breaking easily.
> The helmets are likely good enough since they must meet a standard.

Hah. You need to read that standard.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

on 8/29/2004 7:16 PM Ed with at capital E said the following:
> In article <[email protected]>, Werehatrack says...
>
>>money, and tossed the (crummy) Bell light in the trash. In some

> The Bell products I have bought have all been poor quality, breaking easily.

Bell is big at Wal-Mart. Not to say that's necessarily a bad thing, but
WM tends to buy from only the cheapest vendors. If you want cheap, Bell
accessories seem to meet that need. And you usually get what you pay for...

--
David
dja--dot--mail--at--comcast--dot--net

> Try to find a well-stocked shop. Sometimes other mounts can be made to
> work.

I'm a regular night time rider, and have probably purchased 20 different
tail lights thru the years. I have a coffee can full of mounts, and lights.
It really surprises me, how most don't work for the other. But occasionally
I will be able to fit a light from one, and fit it on the mount of another.
But unfortunately, you usually just have to buy another light/mount.