Bell vs giro: what is the leading brand in bicycling helmets?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jade Croo, Oct 11, 2017.

?

Leading brand in bicycle helmets: Giro or Bell?

1. Giro

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Bell

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Jade Croo

Jade Croo New Member

Hi all!

I am conducting research for a college study and would like to get your thoughts on who you believe to be the leading brand in bicycle helmets: Giro or Bell? And why?

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Jade

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

I really don’t care much.
    All helmets are tested against the same standard.
    All who pass the test promise to provide - at least - a certain amount of protection.
    Reaching this base level of protection is (almost) all the test is about.
    There’s NO testing of how much protection ABOVE the base level a helmet will provide.
    So ”leading” - how?
    What important feature would they try to do better in?
    There’s MIPS of course. They both offer that.
    There’s weight, vents and design.
    POSSIBLY Giro is a little more creative WRT design.
    But that’s subjective.
    Apparently I’ve got a head that’s a bit more oval than the average.
    Meaning I don’t have much choice WRT styling.
    When I find a helmet with the right shape for My skull, that’s the one I get.
    It could be decorated with pink unicorns, or have frolicking Dolphins embossed in the shell.
    If it fits well both front and sides, I’ll buy it anyhow.
    It’s for use, not for show.

3. Morgan Fracisc

Morgan Fracisc New Member

I think Giro brand is a good choice for bicycle helmets.

4. kennyM

kennyM New Member

I am on my third helmet and all three have been Giro's. The first one saved my head after I went (literally) over the edge on a mountain bike trail and hit rocks about 10 feet below. The helmet cracked but all I got was a concussion (and a broken arm.) The replacement helmet eventually timed out with age and was replaced with the current Giro Hex. I originally picked Giro because of style and the bike shop owners recommendation. So for what it's worth......Giro is my pick.

5. dhk2

dhk2 Well-Known Member

I have an oval head, and find that Bell has always been a good fit. Actually I guess I'm just loyal to them, having used Bell since the 60's on both bikes and motorcycles. Believe they were one of the first companies to come out with bike helmets. So I'd say they are among the leading brands, but I couldn't really say they are "better" than Giro.

As dabac said, it really doesn't matter. No one I know is going to notice or care about the brand name on my helmet.

6. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I agree with most everyone else, it doesn't matter. I happen to like lazer but I have an oblong head and certain Lazer models fit those nicely. I've heard a lot of great things about POC, Kali Protectives, Smith, Specialized, and Kask; all of which "seem" to be offering more then Bell or maybe Giro, but since all helmets have to meet the same federal requirements I'm not sure if those other helmets are any more special than any other helmets. The Specialized brand has further testing done on their helmets than the CPSC pass sticker that all helmets must have in order to be sold in the US, they also get the Snell B90A rating, which I think that Specialized is the only manufacture that has the Snell rating. The Snell rating is a bit of an odd duck, the reason most helmet manufacture don't get theirs tested to that standards is due to the added cost of the testing, so they may pass the test...but they may not either. The new MIPS technology is said to offer a degree of more protection than non MIPS helmets but lately there have been some studies suggesting that maybe for a road biker it doesn't work as great as they made it to sound.

But whatever all that means, I think the sweet spot for helmet costs is between $75 to $125 on sale prices, which means you could be buying a $100 to $175 helmet. I got my $140 Lazer helmet for $45 on closeout.