Beltran can still race??

Trev_S

Jan 24, 2004
What's up with this?
Spaniard Manuel Beltrán may have tested positive for EPO during last year's Tour de France, but that may not mean he will be denied a racing license, according to reports on Saturday. The former Liquigas rider revealed that the UCI and the Spanish federation have communicated to him that he would be allowed to race anywhere except the Tour de France, much to his surprise.

rest of the article.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/feb09/feb08news

That just sound rediculous to me.
Did I read something regarding Beltran trying to do a runner from the testers after the stage he tested positive?

May as well let the others off the hook then.

The good old days of UCI are back... welcome to the bribes!

I hope to see McQuaid on next TDF that I could throw to him some nasty tomatoes, and maybe a very old munster which will stinks a lot but never as much as McQuaid;

poulidor said:

I hope to see McQuaid on next TDF that I could throw to him some nasty tomatoes, and maybe a very old munster which will stinks a lot but never as much as McQuaid;
Only public pressure will force change at the UCI. If you need help throwing those tomatoes, there's a few on here who'd gladly assist.

We are witnessing a complete rollback of any progress that was made in the last few years. At some point last year, the decision was collectively made to go back to unrestricted doping. All players, the UCI, the national feds, the race organizers, the teams, and the riders, are acting on the new reality. A few rogue players like the german federation may cry about situation, but they are not important enough to impede the tide.

Rolfrae said:
Only public pressure will force change at the UCI. If you need help throwing those tomatoes, there's a few on here who'd gladly assist.
Only money will change the situation. The pro side of the sport needs to be boycotted by the fans. That includes TV coverage and websites like cyclingnews. If the powers that been see a radical decrease in revenue then a change will be forced.

Bro Deal said:
Only money will change the situation. The pro side of the sport needs to be boycotted by the fans. That includes TV coverage and websites like cyclingnews. If the powers that been see a radical decrease in revenue then a change will be forced.
It's a niche sport with an above-average-earning audience on an international level. Much like golf, no amount of economic pressure will bring the sport to its knees, mainly because the ardent fans will never leave - no matter the depth and magnitude of scandal.

It's a farce, participants and fans know it's a farce, and the only game left to play is keeping the farce out of the view of the general public.

Ride on, dope fiends. Enjoy your pharmaceutical battles, I'll just pedal my bike.

Bro Deal said:
At some point last year, the decision was collectively made to go back to unrestricted doping. All players, the UCI, the national feds, the race organizers, the teams, and the riders, are acting on the new reality.

And l'equipe will no longer report on it. So part of the press is in it, too. Probably revenue went way down, compounded by the economic crisis. So they all met in some smoke filled back room and hammered out a deal. Maybe serious news outlets without a large stake in sports may still report, I don't know. Sports journalism never had much integrity.

At this point, I think the only way to make the sport even more of a travesty would be to add a wrestling component (maybe in the feed zone). Riders should fight for water bottles, protein bars, pills and syringes.

poulidor said:

swwe