Ben Nevis for a child

Hi
My son has told me wants to do Ben Nevis this year and I wondered if
you have any route suggestions. He has been up Scaefell Pike - Scaefell
via Lords rake and Great Gable via climbers traverse and Westmoreland
Crags so he can walk a bit, BUT I have never walked in Scotland and do
not know anything about the Ben so tips on an interesting route would
be appreciated.
Regards

You don't say how old your son is but I would suggest that the only
route for a youngster would be up and down the mountain path, a round
trip of some 6 - 8 hours.

Any other route takes even longer and may involve scrambling or a
narrow arete.

Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
bad weather.

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com

He is 9 so a 6 - 8 hour trip is long enough for him, like I said I have
no experience of Scotland but I was thinking of the Cobbler for a first
Scotish mountain but he came up with the Ben idea.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> He is 9 so a 6 - 8 hour trip is long enough for him, like I said I have
> no experience of Scotland but I was thinking of the Cobbler for a first
> Scotish mountain but he came up with the Ben idea.

Have you thought of Ben Lomond. extremely accessible and with no objective
problems

In message <[email protected]>
"Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
> bad weather.

The only time I was on Ben Nevis everyone on the top was in shorts and
T-shirts, complaining about the heat, but I realise that those aren't
the usual conditions up there! If anyone ever saw that 999 programme
several years ago with a loony trying to jump off the top with a
hang-glider, that was the day.

--
Simon Challands

Lindsay <[email protected]> wrote:
> Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
> bad weather.

Why's that (never having been anywhere near Ben Nevis)?

--
Nobby

Trouble with Scotland is, so many mountains so little time. I thought
we could "Do" the Cobbler and the Drovers at the same time, but to be
honest Ben Lomond looked less interesting and more of a slog than the
Cobbler but I could (probably am) completely wrong

"Nobody Here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Lindsay <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
>> bad weather.

> Why's that (never having been anywhere near Ben Nevis)?
>
> --
> Nobby

A direct route from the summit to the tourist path might involve a sudden
2000 foot vertical drop down the North cliffs. You need to dog leg the
route around Gardaloo gully. However, if you are too cautious with the dog
leg, you'll end up in Five Finger gully, which has seen a few dead bodies in
the past ;-) Basically, you'll need to be able navigate to a 200 metre gap
on the Ben's shoulder in thick cloud. As most people climb in the summer,
there's usually someone coming up so you can follow their tracks.

The other routes on the Ben are more serious and dangerous.

BTW, the Ben's usually 300 out of 365 days in cloud and snow can be there
all year round.

Jhimmy

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> He is 9 so a 6 - 8 hour trip is long enough for him, like I said I have
> no experience of Scotland but I was thinking of the Cobbler for a first
> Scotish mountain but he came up with the Ben idea.

What about Ben Chonzie ? Technically and physically very easy.Or
do the three Munros from the Glenshee Car park.

Nick

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
> My son has told me wants to do Ben Nevis this year and I wondered if
> you have any route suggestions. He has been up Scaefell Pike - Scaefell
> via Lords rake and Great Gable via climbers traverse and Westmoreland
> Crags so he can walk a bit, BUT I have never walked in Scotland and do
> not know anything about the Ben so tips on an interesting route would
> be appreciated.
> Regards

If he's done the Climbers Traverse he should be able to handle the CMD arete
which is preferable to the Tourist route up Ben Nevis. I imagine you might
need more than 8 hours though to do the round trip.

Graham

This month's Trail magazine has a special on Ben Nevis routes and the
whole summit bearings thing is easily explained.

> This month's Trail magazine has a special on Ben Nevis routes and the
> whole summit bearings thing is easily explained.

I think they did that once before and (I believe) got the
bearings/explanation wrong. Confirm before use.

--
sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com

'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
brings the same excitement'

Jhimmy <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Nobody Here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Lindsay <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
>>> bad weather.

>> Why's that (never having been anywhere near Ben Nevis)?
>>
>> --
>> Nobby

> A direct route from the summit to the tourist path might involve a sudden
> 2000 foot vertical drop down the North cliffs. You need to dog leg the
> route around Gardaloo gully. However, if you are too cautious with the dog
> leg, you'll end up in Five Finger gully, which has seen a few dead bodies in
> the past ;-) Basically, you'll need to be able navigate to a 200 metre gap
> on the Ben's shoulder in thick cloud.

Ah, that 'splains it then!

--
Nobby

Thanks Jimmy for answering the question.

Anyone in doubt as to the exact bearings and distance to pace from the
summit cairn can pick up a card from Nevis Sport or West Coast Outdoor
Shops in Fort William. That is of course if you are able to pace a
set distance otherwise there is no point. However no problem in good
weather but on average the Ben is clear only for around 60 days in the
year.

Lindsay
www.caledoniahilltreks.com

The message <[email protected]>
from "Graham Seed" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> > My son has told me wants to do Ben Nevis this year and I wondered if
> > you have any route suggestions. He has been up Scaefell Pike - Scaefell
> > via Lords rake and Great Gable via climbers traverse and Westmoreland
> > Crags so he can walk a bit, BUT I have never walked in Scotland and do
> > not know anything about the Ben so tips on an interesting route would
> > be appreciated.
> > Regards
> >

> If he's done the Climbers Traverse he should be able to handle the CMD
> arete
> which is preferable to the Tourist route up Ben Nevis. I imagine you might
> need more than 8 hours though to do the round trip.

The Ben by the tourist route is a good deal more exertion than a dinky
hill like Scafell Pike and going via CMD while enhancing the experience
makes for an even longer day. IMO the Ben by the tourist route might be
just about possible for a really strong 9 year old, but via CMD no way.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year nothing
Last year 62 summits

Jhimmy contained the following:

>Basically, you'll need to be able navigate to a 200 metre gap
>on the Ben's shoulder in thick cloud.

And driving rain and a 30 mph wind last May when I went. We were
forced to turn back.

Going again in May though. :)

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

"Graham Seed" <[email protected]> wrote:

> If he's done the Climbers Traverse he should be able to handle the CMD arete
> which is preferable to the Tourist route up Ben Nevis. I imagine you might
> need more than 8 hours though to do the round trip.

12 hours when I did it a few years ago roundtrip from the campsite in
Glen Nevis.

Beautiful ... and missed the annual Ben Nevis run totally (except the
bloodmarks coming down the tourist path)

cu

mgk
--
Don't let's forget that the link between costs and charges is very loose
for telco's - this is just a way they've decided to separate your cash

On 4 Jan 2006 13:23:41 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>He is 9 so a 6 - 8 hour trip is long enough for him, like I said I have
>no experience of Scotland but I was thinking of the Cobbler for a first
>Scotish mountain but he came up with the Ben idea.

If you have someone to drop you off and pick you up you could start
from Torlundy and walk towards the Arete (stunning views), cross the
river and double back at the hut, then follow the path around the hill
to the Tourist Path at the Lochan, and take the Tourist Path to the
summit. Return to the Glen Nevis Youth Hostal by the Tourist Path.

"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The message <[email protected]>
> from "Graham Seed" <[email protected]> contains these words:
>
>> > My son has told me wants to do Ben Nevis this year and I wondered if
>> > you have any route suggestions. He has been up Scaefell Pike - Scaefell
>> > via Lords rake and Great Gable via climbers traverse and Westmoreland
>> > Crags so he can walk a bit, BUT I have never walked in Scotland and do
>> > not know anything about the Ben so tips on an interesting route would
>> > be appreciated.
>> > Regards
>> >

>> If he's done the Climbers Traverse he should be able to handle the CMD
>> arete
>> which is preferable to the Tourist route up Ben Nevis. I imagine you
>> might
>> need more than 8 hours though to do the round trip.

> The Ben by the tourist route is a good deal more exertion than a dinky
> hill like Scafell Pike and going via CMD while enhancing the experience
> makes for an even longer day. IMO the Ben by the tourist route might be
> just about possible for a really strong 9 year old, but via CMD no way.

Well I've seen younger screaming with delight on Crib Goch, whilst Marines
went by crying their eyes out. Markus' 12 hours seems right, so the OP can
judge it on that. There is no easy way to back off the CMD arrete though so
yes, point taken.

Graham