Ben Nevis for a child

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Hi
    My son has told me wants to do Ben Nevis this year and I wondered if
    you have any route suggestions. He has been up Scaefell Pike - Scaefell
    via Lords rake and Great Gable via climbers traverse and Westmoreland
    Crags so he can walk a bit, BUT I have never walked in Scotland and do
    not know anything about the Ben so tips on an interesting route would
    be appreciated.
    Regards

    Tags:

  2. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    You don't say how old your son is but I would suggest that the only
    route for a youngster would be up and down the mountain path, a round
    trip of some 6 - 8 hours.

    Any other route takes even longer and may involve scrambling or a
    narrow arete.

    Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
    bad weather.

    Lindsay
    www.caledoniahilltreks.com

  3. He is 9 so a 6 - 8 hour trip is long enough for him, like I said I have
    no experience of Scotland but I was thinking of the Cobbler for a first
    Scotish mountain but he came up with the Ben idea.

  4. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > He is 9 so a 6 - 8 hour trip is long enough for him, like I said I have
    > no experience of Scotland but I was thinking of the Cobbler for a first
    > Scotish mountain but he came up with the Ben idea.

    Have you thought of Ben Lomond. extremely accessible and with no objective
    problems

  5. In message <[email protected]>
    "Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
    > bad weather.

    The only time I was on Ben Nevis everyone on the top was in shorts and
    T-shirts, complaining about the heat, but I realise that those aren't
    the usual conditions up there! If anyone ever saw that 999 programme
    several years ago with a loony trying to jump off the top with a
    hang-glider, that was the day.

    --
    Simon Challands

  6. Nobody Here

    Nobody Here Guest

    Lindsay <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
    > bad weather.

    Why's that (never having been anywhere near Ben Nevis)?

    --
    Nobby

  7. Trouble with Scotland is, so many mountains so little time. I thought
    we could "Do" the Cobbler and the Drovers at the same time, but to be
    honest Ben Lomond looked less interesting and more of a slog than the
    Cobbler but I could (probably am) completely wrong

  8. Jhimmy

    Jhimmy Guest

    "Nobody Here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Lindsay <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
    >> bad weather.

    > Why's that (never having been anywhere near Ben Nevis)?
    >
    > --
    > Nobby

    A direct route from the summit to the tourist path might involve a sudden
    2000 foot vertical drop down the North cliffs. You need to dog leg the
    route around Gardaloo gully. However, if you are too cautious with the dog
    leg, you'll end up in Five Finger gully, which has seen a few dead bodies in
    the past ;-) Basically, you'll need to be able navigate to a 200 metre gap
    on the Ben's shoulder in thick cloud. As most people climb in the summer,
    there's usually someone coming up so you can follow their tracks.

    The other routes on the Ben are more serious and dangerous.

    BTW, the Ben's usually 300 out of 365 days in cloud and snow can be there
    all year round.

    Jhimmy

  9. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > He is 9 so a 6 - 8 hour trip is long enough for him, like I said I have
    > no experience of Scotland but I was thinking of the Cobbler for a first
    > Scotish mountain but he came up with the Ben idea.

    What about Ben Chonzie ? Technically and physically very easy.Or
    do the three Munros from the Glenshee Car park.

    Nick

  10. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi
    > My son has told me wants to do Ben Nevis this year and I wondered if
    > you have any route suggestions. He has been up Scaefell Pike - Scaefell
    > via Lords rake and Great Gable via climbers traverse and Westmoreland
    > Crags so he can walk a bit, BUT I have never walked in Scotland and do
    > not know anything about the Ben so tips on an interesting route would
    > be appreciated.
    > Regards

    If he's done the Climbers Traverse he should be able to handle the CMD arete
    which is preferable to the Tourist route up Ben Nevis. I imagine you might
    need more than 8 hours though to do the round trip.

    Graham

  11. Skiach

    Skiach Guest

    This month's Trail magazine has a special on Ben Nevis routes and the
    whole summit bearings thing is easily explained.

  12. > This month's Trail magazine has a special on Ben Nevis routes and the
    > whole summit bearings thing is easily explained.

    I think they did that once before and (I believe) got the
    bearings/explanation wrong. Confirm before use.

    --
    sandy saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
    email: saunders.sandy at ntlworld.com

    'Mountains or Mole Hills ... summiting still
    brings the same excitement'

  13. Nobody Here

    Nobody Here Guest

    Jhimmy <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Nobody Here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Lindsay <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
    >>> bad weather.

    >> Why's that (never having been anywhere near Ben Nevis)?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nobby

    > A direct route from the summit to the tourist path might involve a sudden
    > 2000 foot vertical drop down the North cliffs. You need to dog leg the
    > route around Gardaloo gully. However, if you are too cautious with the dog
    > leg, you'll end up in Five Finger gully, which has seen a few dead bodies in
    > the past ;-) Basically, you'll need to be able navigate to a 200 metre gap
    > on the Ben's shoulder in thick cloud.

    Ah, that 'splains it then!

    --
    Nobby

  14. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    Thanks Jimmy for answering the question.

    Anyone in doubt as to the exact bearings and distance to pace from the
    summit cairn can pick up a card from Nevis Sport or West Coast Outdoor
    Shops in Fort William. That is of course if you are able to pace a
    set distance otherwise there is no point. However no problem in good
    weather but on average the Ben is clear only for around 60 days in the
    year.

    Lindsay
    www.caledoniahilltreks.com

  15. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

  16. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "Graham Seed" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > > My son has told me wants to do Ben Nevis this year and I wondered if
    > > you have any route suggestions. He has been up Scaefell Pike - Scaefell
    > > via Lords rake and Great Gable via climbers traverse and Westmoreland
    > > Crags so he can walk a bit, BUT I have never walked in Scotland and do
    > > not know anything about the Ben so tips on an interesting route would
    > > be appreciated.
    > > Regards
    > >

    > If he's done the Climbers Traverse he should be able to handle the CMD
    > arete
    > which is preferable to the Tourist route up Ben Nevis. I imagine you might
    > need more than 8 hours though to do the round trip.

    The Ben by the tourist route is a good deal more exertion than a dinky
    hill like Scafell Pike and going via CMD while enhancing the experience
    makes for an even longer day. IMO the Ben by the tourist route might be
    just about possible for a really strong 9 year old, but via CMD no way.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year nothing
    Last year 62 summits

  17. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    Jhimmy contained the following:

    >Basically, you'll need to be able navigate to a 200 metre gap
    >on the Ben's shoulder in thick cloud.

    And driving rain and a 30 mph wind last May when I went. We were
    forced to turn back.

    Going again in May though. :)

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  18. "Graham Seed" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If he's done the Climbers Traverse he should be able to handle the CMD arete
    > which is preferable to the Tourist route up Ben Nevis. I imagine you might
    > need more than 8 hours though to do the round trip.

    12 hours when I did it a few years ago roundtrip from the campsite in
    Glen Nevis.

    Beautiful ... and missed the annual Ben Nevis run totally (except the
    bloodmarks coming down the tourist path)

    cu

    mgk
    --
    Don't let's forget that the link between costs and charges is very loose
    for telco's - this is just a way they've decided to separate your cash

  19. On 4 Jan 2006 13:23:41 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >He is 9 so a 6 - 8 hour trip is long enough for him, like I said I have
    >no experience of Scotland but I was thinking of the Cobbler for a first
    >Scotish mountain but he came up with the Ben idea.

    If you have someone to drop you off and pick you up you could start
    from Torlundy and walk towards the Arete (stunning views), cross the
    river and double back at the hut, then follow the path around the hill
    to the Tourist Path at the Lochan, and take the Tourist Path to the
    summit. Return to the Glen Nevis Youth Hostal by the Tourist Path.

  20. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    "Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The message <[email protected]>
    > from "Graham Seed" <[email protected].com> contains these words:
    >
    >> > My son has told me wants to do Ben Nevis this year and I wondered if
    >> > you have any route suggestions. He has been up Scaefell Pike - Scaefell
    >> > via Lords rake and Great Gable via climbers traverse and Westmoreland
    >> > Crags so he can walk a bit, BUT I have never walked in Scotland and do
    >> > not know anything about the Ben so tips on an interesting route would
    >> > be appreciated.
    >> > Regards
    >> >

    >> If he's done the Climbers Traverse he should be able to handle the CMD
    >> arete
    >> which is preferable to the Tourist route up Ben Nevis. I imagine you
    >> might
    >> need more than 8 hours though to do the round trip.

    > The Ben by the tourist route is a good deal more exertion than a dinky
    > hill like Scafell Pike and going via CMD while enhancing the experience
    > makes for an even longer day. IMO the Ben by the tourist route might be
    > just about possible for a really strong 9 year old, but via CMD no way.

    Well I've seen younger screaming with delight on Crib Goch, whilst Marines
    went by crying their eyes out. Markus' 12 hours seems right, so the OP can
    judge it on that. There is no easy way to back off the CMD arrete though so
    yes, point taken.

    Graham