Ben Nevis for a child

Hi,
thanks for the response. As the plan is for 3/5 days at Easter,
weather permitting it will be The Cobbler Day 1 - Aonach Eagach Day 2
(no child) - Buachille Etive Mor or something in the Mamores Day 3 . IF
we go to Ben Nevis it will either be Ski lift to Anoach Mor? and
onwards or Tourist Path and only with a Mega Forecast and no / very
little snow.
Regards

>Dull? It would rule out a great many areas if we ruled out areas like this
>as dull. That would be a shame.

The area's not dull, but that track is. Of course there are other
ways up this anything but boring hill.

Just had a trip on its neighbour, Creag nan Eun. Very pleasant.

Richard Webb

In message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] writes
>Hi,
> thanks for the response. As the plan is for 3/5 days at Easter,
>weather permitting it will be The Cobbler Day 1 - Aonach Eagach Day 2
>(no child) - Buachille Etive Mor or something in the Mamores Day 3 . IF
>we go to Ben Nevis it will either be Ski lift to Anoach Mor? and
>onwards or Tourist Path and only with a Mega Forecast and no / very
>little snow.

You can't get to Ben Nevis from the top of the gondola - at least not
easily. *The* easy route is the Tourist Path and that's it. You could
do it from the North Face car park instead of Achintee. That route
isn't as steep (until you join the main path) but of course is longer.

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

In message <[email protected]>
Surfer! <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've done Striding Edge with and without snow, and decided it was much
> easier with a good covering of snow - though other people had already
> compacted it. BTW one of the photos in Bill Birkett's 'Complete
> Lakeland Fells' book was taken the day I was there with the snow - p181,
> showing the dropped cornice. There had been a yellow helicopter there
> as well as it dropped on three chaps in the gully below. I believe the
> back photo was taken the same day but earlier, before the cornice
> dropped. Those of you with the book can have your gast flabbered at
> where some of the footprints are on the hanging snow...

I have that book (signed copy I got for Christmas a while back now),
and I know the photo you mean without even looking for it. It stands
out in my mind because I thought someone must be really insane! There
are some great pictures in that book.

--
Simon Challands

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 17:12:02 +0000, Surfer! <[email protected]> wrote:

>You can't get to Ben Nevis from the top of the gondola - at least not
>easily. *The* easy route is the Tourist Path and that's it. You could
>do it from the North Face car park instead of Achintee. That route
>isn't as steep (until you join the main path) but of course is longer.

It is also far more dramatic.

In message <[email protected]>, Simon Challands
<[email protected]> writes
>In message <[email protected]>
> Surfer! <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I've done Striding Edge with and without snow, and decided it was much
>> easier with a good covering of snow - though other people had already
>> compacted it. BTW one of the photos in Bill Birkett's 'Complete
>> Lakeland Fells' book was taken the day I was there with the snow - p181,
>> showing the dropped cornice. There had been a yellow helicopter there
>> as well as it dropped on three chaps in the gully below. I believe the
>> back photo was taken the same day but earlier, before the cornice
>> dropped. Those of you with the book can have your gast flabbered at
>> where some of the footprints are on the hanging snow...

>I have that book (signed copy I got for Christmas a while back now),
>and I know the photo you mean without even looking for it. It stands
>out in my mind because I thought someone must be really insane!

I do remember standing about where the photo was taken from and spotting
the guy that left some of the tracks rather near the edge of the
cornice. I walked round the back and told him to come to me. Of course
he wondered why, but thankfully telling him to just do it worked. Then
I took him where he could see his foot marks... He realised what the
fuss was about! Looking forward to when my scanning project reaches the
photos I took that day :)

> There
>are some great pictures in that book.

There certainly are.

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net

"Bertie Wiggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 4 Jan 2006 13:23:41 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> If you have someone to drop you off and pick you up you could start
> from Torlundy and walk towards the Arete (stunning views), cross the
> river and double back at the hut, then follow the path around the hill
> to the Tourist Path at the Lochan, and take the Tourist Path to the
> summit. Return to the Glen Nevis Youth Hostal by the Tourist Path.

Nice idea but I remember this being a lot of ascent to get nowhere. I would
have thought that tourist track on less busy day would be nice enough.
There would be snow on top until about March/April so it would be exciting.

"Simon Challands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>
> "Lindsay" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Be mindful that the summit is not for the inexperienced navigator in
> > bad weather.

> The only time I was on Ben Nevis everyone on the top was in shorts and
> T-shirts, complaining about the heat, but I realise that those aren't
> the usual conditions up there!

That's very true and I am now never going to climb there again having had a
beautiful day up there(and not believing it can happen a second). It looks
very easy to navigate when it is clear and you can see the outslopes but
having also walked it in whiteout, it is strange how narrow the route
seemed.

"Roger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The message <[email protected]>
> from "Graham Seed" <[email protected]> contains these words:
> The Ben by the tourist route is a good deal more exertion than a dinky
> hill like Scafell Pike and going via CMD while enhancing the experience
> makes for an even longer day. IMO the Ben by the tourist route might be
> just about possible for a really strong 9 year old, but via CMD no way.

I'd agree. Especially as cloud tends to roll over the arete and it often
has corniced snow until late in year.

Rob

> very easy to navigate when it is clear and you can see the outslopes but
> having also walked it in whiteout, it is strange how narrow the route
> seemed.

Once the switchbacks come close together the path does fade slightly and
in thick cloud in Sept we had to use a bearing to get to the cairn/hut.

It's a shame the path is so rocky, easy to twist a knee or ankle. Tricky to carry
a child on your shoulders if you have to on the way down.

Nick

In message <[email protected]>, Rob Devereux
<[email protected]> writes

>"Bertie Wiggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On 4 Jan 2006 13:23:41 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>> If you have someone to drop you off and pick you up you could start
>> from Torlundy and walk towards the Arete (stunning views), cross the
>> river and double back at the hut, then follow the path around the hill
>> to the Tourist Path at the Lochan, and take the Tourist Path to the
>> summit. Return to the Glen Nevis Youth Hostal by the Tourist Path.

>Nice idea but I remember this being a lot of ascent to get nowhere. I would
>have thought that tourist track on less busy day would be nice enough.
>There would be snow on top until about March/April so it would be exciting.

There is snow on the top most of the year...