BEND, OREGON - Looking for a really long ride

steve deno

Guest
All, I looked in the archive but couldn't find the answer to this.
Does anyone know of a really long(preferably singletrack with climbs)
ride near Bend? I will be there for the weekend and would like to get
in like 5+ hours of good hard riding to prepare for a 100 miler.

Thanks in advance

steve deno wrote:
> All, I looked in the archive but couldn't find the answer to this.
> Does anyone know of a really long(preferably singletrack with climbs)
> ride near Bend? I will be there for the weekend and would like to get
> in like 5+ hours of good hard riding to prepare for a 100 miler.
>
> Thanks in advance

there's a really excellent map "mountain biking and cross country skiing
map" put out by Adventure Maps on waterproof paper, $8.95 at any of the
local bike shops.

The ones that come to mind are,

Edison/Lava Lake trail 2300' feet of climbing, out and back 20 miles.
Starts at the Edison sno-park, map suggests adding the Kwohl Butter Shelter
spur trail.

I made a 30 miles loop out of the Sparks/Lava trail by coming back on the
road, it's a 22 miles ride otherwise.

Map also suggests Bachelor Sparks Lava loop which which is 28 miles

Make sure it's not too hot, was in the high 90's when we rode!!

map has lots of other ideas too

Penny S

Penny S wrote:

> map has lots of other ideas too

I have to run to a band concert, will study map a little more carefully and
see if there's anything else worth noting.

p.

There is a great trail around Newberry Crater, 20 or so miles in the
Newberry Volcanic National Monument. Then you can ride up Paulina Peak for
some good sustained climbing.

Mike

news:[email protected]...

Mike Kennedy wrote:
> There is a great trail around Newberry Crater, 20 or so miles in
> the Newberry Volcanic National Monument. Then you can ride up Paulina
> Peak for some good sustained climbing.
>
> Mike

that's on the map too. ;-)

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Mike Kennedy wrote:
> > There is a great trail around Newberry Crater, 20 or so miles in
> > the Newberry Volcanic National Monument. Then you can ride up Paulina
> > Peak for some good sustained climbing.
> >
> > Mike

> that's on the map too. ;-)

Isn't that stuff still snowed in? I haven't been up there
for several weeks, but that's what I thought...

David wrote:
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Mike Kennedy wrote:
>>> There is a great trail around Newberry Crater, 20 or so miles in
>>> the Newberry Volcanic National Monument. Then you can ride up
>>> Paulina Peak for some good sustained climbing.
>>>
>>> Mike

>> that's on the map too. ;-)

> Isn't that stuff still snowed in? I haven't been up there
> for several weeks, but that's what I thought...

the ranger district up there maintains really good trail information on the
web ( or they used to, looks like the format has changed a bit)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/recreation/trails/index.shtml

[email protected] (steve deno) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> All, I looked in the archive but couldn't find the answer to this.
> Does anyone know of a really long(preferably singletrack with climbs)
> ride near Bend? I will be there for the weekend and would like to get
> in like 5+ hours of good hard riding to prepare for a 100 miler.
>
> Thanks in advance

Go to Bend. Find a decent guide book written by a local. Buy the
guide book. Ride.

JD

I think all of the local bike shops carry the set of maps to trails in the
area. There is a ride that starts in a park just outside of Bend (Shevlin?)
and heads west thru a network of linked trails to Swampy Lakes and well
beyond. The Flag Line trail is pretty epic if you can find it. Ask a local
which way it should be done, then go the opposite direction for a harder
ride.

Newberry crater is also really nice. If you bike up, it starts with
something like a 1500-1800 foot climb. Then a scenic and technical 20 mile
loop.

Take mucho water. Start early.

"Gwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I think all of the local bike shops carry the set of maps to trails in the
> area. There is a ride that starts in a park just outside of Bend (Shevlin?)
> and heads west thru a network of linked trails to Swampy Lakes and well
> beyond.

One of my favorite rides was starting from well beyond Swampy Lakes,
riding through Shevlin. Lots of elevation loss, and nice to do it as a one way
(from the mountains into Bend, rather than the other way). Don't remember
where we started, but it was all legal (not wilderness), and we rode past
Broken Top before reaching Swampy Lakes.