Bending yourself...

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Michael & Debbi, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I am new both to this group and the world of bents. I would like to start riding again, but it
    seems DFs don't work well for me. As a kid I used to ride a lot -- my Dad, once, had bought my
    brother and I new Bianchi ten speeds for Christmas, the ones with the shifters at the ends of
    the drops (which was a new thing then). Mine was the Bianchi green, and I was so upset. I'd
    wanted a Stingray with a banana seat, goose-neck handle bars and a five-speed stickshift (in an
    odd kind of way, that was probably closer to a recumbent). I was pretty young, couldn't even
    reach the pedals of the Bianchi without blocks. I rode that bike for many years, though. It was
    great. But then, when I was about 19 or 20, something changed. I wanted to get another bike for
    riding to school and around town. (I don't remember what happened to the Bianchi, but I hadn't
    had it for a few years). I bought a Peugeot, but couldn't ride it. I'd go hardly any distance at
    all, and it was as if my body locked up. I'd have to down- shift eventually into first, even on
    flat terrain. After a few days, I was going so slowly, I could walk faster. And certainly with
    less pain. I've tried a several times since, and not much better (I have an old Volkscycle Mark
    X gathering cobwebs on my porch). I don't know if it was adolescence, or what. I've been
    thinking maybe a recumbent would work better for me. I have a small financial problem, however,
    so I need to do this on the cheap. So, finally, I'm looking for advice, information,
    suggestions, et al, on building a bent myself.

    Thanks, Michael

    Tags:

  2. Alan Weiss

    Alan Weiss Guest

    Hi, Michael. If you would give us some indication of where you live, we may be able to point you
    towards some used recumbents. For example, I have one (cheap!) here in NJ, but don't know if that is
    anywhere near you.

    As far as building one yourself, there are plans available, and kits: http://www.iesales.com/
    http://www.radiks.net/~ladue/ And for a wealth of information, look at
    http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/building/index.htm

    There are only a few recumbents you can buy new that aren't overly pricey. One is the Sun/Easy
    Racers EZ-1 (you can probably get one for less than $500). See http://www.easyracers.com/ez_1_sc.htm
    for more information.

    Good luck, and, if you want more specific info, please give your locale.

    Alan Weiss NJ Gold Rush, E2 tandem, and Leitra rider

  3. Hi, Michael, if you're interested in building your own 'bent, you might want to check this site,
    http://www.phred.org/mailman/listinfo/framebuilders

    There is a LOT of help and information there.

    If you want INSPIRATION, check out my website. I build my own stuff.

    Lewis.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html

    "Michael & Debbie Seltzer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new both to this group and the world of bents. I would like to start riding again, but it
    > seems DFs don't work well for me. As a kid I used to ride a lot -- my Dad, once, had bought my
    > brother and I new Bianchi ten speeds for Christmas, the ones with the shifters at the ends of
    > the drops (which was a new thing then). Mine was the Bianchi green, and I was so upset. I'd
    > wanted a Stingray with a banana seat, goose-neck handle bars and a five-speed stickshift (in
    > an odd kind of way, that was probably closer to a recumbent). I was pretty young, couldn't
    > even reach the pedals of the Bianchi without blocks. I rode that bike for many years, though.
    > It was great. But then, when I was about 19 or 20, something changed. I wanted to get another
    > bike for riding to school and around town. (I don't remember what happened to the Bianchi, but
    > I hadn't had it for a few years). I bought a Peugeot, but couldn't ride it. I'd go hardly any
    > distance at all, and it was as if my body locked up. I'd have to down- shift eventually into
    > first, even on flat terrain. After a few days, I was going so slowly, I could walk faster. And
    > certainly with less pain. I've tried a several times since, and not much better (I have an old
    > Volkscycle Mark X gathering cobwebs on my porch). I don't know if it was adolescence, or what.
    > I've been thinking maybe a recumbent would work better for me. I have a small financial
    > problem, however, so I need to do this on the cheap. So, finally, I'm looking for advice,
    > information, suggestions, et al, on building a bent myself.
    >
    > Thanks, Michael

  4. J. Morris

    J. Morris Guest

    Michael & Debbie Seltzer wrote in message ... I
    >have a small financial problem, however, so I need to do this on the cheap. >Thanks, Michael

    My suggestion is to try a Bike e. Since going under I've seen some really good prices and they are a
    good beginner bent. Probably one of the cheapest ways to go with still getting a little quality...