Bendix automatic 2-spd hub question

Lewis Campbell

Guest
I recently became the owner of a used Bendix Redline
automatic 2-spd hub.

It didn't seem to change gear when I got it but I know it
has sat up in a garage for about 10 years, so probably the
lube in it is dried up.

Right now I have it dis-assembled, to the extent that all
the guts are on my bench but I haven't seperated the guts
into individual pieces yet.

I can make an educated guess about how to lube it but I am
hoping that one of you good people might _'know'_ what the
factory recommended for lube.

Also, if anyone has a link to any kind of literature or
diagrams of this hub, I would really appreciate it.

TIA.

Lewis.

On 24 May 2004 17:17:13 -0700, [email protected] (Lewis Campbell)
wrote:

>I recently became the owner of a used Bendix Redline
>automatic 2-spd hub.
>
>It didn't seem to change gear when I got it but I know it
>has sat up in a garage for about 10 years, so probably the
>lube in it is dried up.
>
>Right now I have it dis-assembled, to the extent that all
>the guts are on my bench but I haven't seperated the guts
>into individual pieces yet.
>
>I can make an educated guess about how to lube it but I am
>hoping that one of you good people might _'know'_ what the
>factory recommended for lube.
>
>Also, if anyone has a link to any kind of literature or
>diagrams of this hub, I would really appreciate it.

Bearings take normal grease. The internal workings take...
grease. Sounds counterproductive, but thats what you use.
Liberal amounts of grease inside the hub (that's the braking
surface) and on the brake shoes. The shoes are a sintered
metal of some sort. Just make sure the shoes are not worn
(wide shiny areas where they contact the inner hub surface)
and they should be fine. Bottom line, clean them and use a
medium grease liberally.

> I recently became the owner of a used Bendix Redline
> automatic 2-sped hub.
>
> It didn't seem to change gear when I got it but I know it
> has sat up in a garage for about 10 years, so probably the
> lube in it is dried up.

Bendix kick-back 2-speeds most often failed due to the
transfer "spring" (actually doesn't look much like a spring
at all) failing. I have a feeling it might be very difficult
finding a replacement these days. I know I had an impossible
time locating one about 20 years ago!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I recently became the owner of a used Bendix Redline
> automatic 2-spd hub.
>
> It didn't seem to change gear when I got it but I know it
> has sat up in a garage for about 10 years, so probably the
> lube in it is dried up.
>
> Right now I have it dis-assembled, to the extent that all
> the guts are on my bench but I haven't seperated the guts
> into individual pieces yet.
>
> I can make an educated guess about how to lube it but I am
> hoping that one of you good people might _'know'_ what the
> factory recommended for lube.
>
> Also, if anyone has a link to any kind of literature or
> diagrams of this hub, I would really appreciate it.
>
> TIA.
>
> Lewis.

> I recently became the owner of a used Bendix Redline
> automatic 2-spd hub.
>
> It didn't seem to change gear when I got it but I know it
> has sat up in a garage for about 10 years, so probably the
> lube in it is dried up.
SNIP

Thanks for the help guys.

Mike, do you remember what the ' transfer "spring" 'looked
like, or its approximate location?

Lewis.

> Mike, do you remember what the ' transfer "spring" 'looked
> like, or its approximate location?

The transfer spring encircled a large, cone-shaped piece
that fit into one side of the hub. It was fairly large and
flat, with a tab that bent outward at one end. Not much of a
description, sorry!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I recently became the owner of a used Bendix Redline
> > automatic 2-spd hub.
> >
> > It didn't seem to change gear when I got it but I know
> > it has sat up in a garage for about 10 years, so
> > probably the lube in it is dried up.
> SNIP
>
> Thanks for the help guys.
>
> Mike, do you remember what the ' transfer "spring" 'looked
> like, or its approximate location?
>
> Lewis.

>>I recently became the owner of a used Bendix Redline
>>automatic 2-spd hub.
>>
>>It didn't seem to change gear when I got it but I know it
>>has sat up in a garage for about 10 years, so probably the
>>lube in it is dried up.
>
> SNIP
>
> Thanks for the help guys.
>
> Mike, do you remember what the ' transfer "spring" 'looked
> like, or its approximate location?

That's the black sleeve which is snapped on the driver under
the annular gear and before the bendix thread. It has very
small protrusions which will be worn alreeady and at risk of
cracking of handled roughly

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote in message

> That's the black sleeve which is snapped on the driver
> under the annular gear and before the bendix thread. It
> has very small protrusions which will be worn alreeady and
> at risk of cracking of handled roughly

OK, thanks, I see the part which I believe you are
describing.

Its flat, spring steel, bent into about 1" dia. and has 3
skinny 'fingers' on each side. These skinny fingers are bent
up about .050" on one side only. This is on the backside of
the part that is integral with the sprocket.

Am I on a roll here?

The part does not appear to be damaged in any way and the
'bent up' pieces look to be good.

Is it possible that you would have a link to an exploded
view of the hub?

Thanks.

Lewis.