Benefit from biking glasses?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Risto Varanka, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Are biking glasses just fashion or a must, all things considered? Thinking about doing more and
    longer rides, so wondering if it's a good idea to get them.

    Are there compelling reasons like road grit getting to your eyes, or protection from the sun? On
    cold days I can get some watering in my eyes, but I haven't experienced discomfort from road grit
    even on my 7 hour ride. Is it more a problem in other locations or during longer rides/tours?

    Normally I wear about -2 glasses, they'd have to go over them which narrows down the selection. My
    glasses double us as sunglasses though... In snowboarding ski goggles are a good idea, because snow
    blindness is a real risk. Is cycling different?

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > Are biking glasses just fashion or a must, all things considered? Thinking about doing more and
    > longer rides, so wondering if it's a good idea to get them.
    >
    > Are there compelling reasons like road grit getting to your eyes, or protection from the sun? On
    > cold days I can get some watering in my eyes, but I haven't experienced discomfort from road grit
    > even on my 7 hour ride. Is it more a problem in other locations or during longer rides/tours?
    >
    > Normally I wear about -2 glasses, they'd have to go over them which narrows down the selection. My
    > glasses double us as sunglasses though... In snowboarding ski goggles are a good idea, because
    > snow blindness is a real risk. Is cycling different?

    I only wear glasses on grouprides when I get a lot of dirt from other tires. Alone I only use
    glasses when the sun calls for it. Which is not very often here in Sweden ;)

    --
    Perre

    Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

  3. I wear shades when cycling. keeps the worst of the wind out of my eyes, plus flies, grit etc. Main
    reason - strong sunlight is a migraine trigger for me - especially strong sunlight flickering
    through trees, hedgerows, so shades are not to make me look "cool" but have a real purpose. Me, I'm
    naturally cool ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Normally I wear about -2 glasses, they'd have to go over them which narrows down the selection. My
    >glasses double us as sunglasses though... In snowboarding ski goggles are a good idea, because snow
    >blindness is a real risk. Is cycling different?

    I wear glasses with Photogray so they provide UV protection, reasonable eye protection and double as
    sun glasses.

    I see no need for anything more.

    Jon Isaacs

  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    <risto wrote
    > Are biking glasses just fashion or a must, all things considered? Thinking about doing more and
    > longer rides, so wondering if it's a good idea to get them. Risto Varanka

    Around here (Summit County, Colorado) UV is a concern at any time of year, so my regular glasses and
    my sunglasses offer full UV protection. Most of the time I cycle in prescription mountaineering
    sunglasses, which offer very good wind protection, UV protection, and good visibility in all kinds
    of light (flat light, bright sun, and anything in between).
    --
    mark

  6. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Risto Varanka writes:

    > Are biking glasses just fashion or a must, all things considered? Thinking about doing more and
    > longer rides, so wondering if it's a good idea to get them.

    They are mostly fashion although a necessity for some riders who have wind sensitive eyes or contact
    lenses. Glasses among professional racers were unknown until Greg Lemond was sponsored by Oakley
    Glasses and ever since, horrendously expensive pieces of fashionable plastic eyewear has been de
    rigueur among the tifosi, the more insect like the appearance the better.

    > Are there compelling reasons like road grit getting to your eyes, or protection from the sun? On
    > cold days I can get some watering in my eyes, but I haven't experienced discomfort from road grit
    > even on my 7 hour ride. Is it more a problem in other locations or during longer rides/tours?

    In old pictures from the Tour de France, in the days of unpaved roads, riders used mountain climbing
    goggles for descents that were dusty. I have toured in the Alps for many years and have not found
    that I needed such eye protection.

    http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/alps_photos.html

    > Normally I wear about -2 glasses, they'd have to go over them which narrows down the selection. My
    > glasses double us as sunglasses though... In snow boarding ski goggles are a good idea, because
    > snow blindness is a real risk. Is cycling different?

    No, it is not different but if you wear prescription glasses, make sure they don't cause disturbing
    draft across the eyes at speeds similar to those you encounter when skiing.

  7. Frank Riley

    Frank Riley Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:b78ns6$o1m$2 @oravannahka.helsinki.fi:

    > Are biking glasses just fashion or a must, all things considered? Thinking about doing more and
    > longer rides, so wondering if it's a good idea to get them.
    >
    > Are there compelling reasons like road grit getting to your eyes, or protection from the sun? On
    > cold days I can get some watering in my eyes, but I haven't experienced discomfort from road grit
    > even on my 7 hour ride. Is it more a problem in other locations or during longer rides/tours?
    >
    > Normally I wear about -2 glasses, they'd have to go over them which narrows down the selection. My
    > glasses double us as sunglasses though... In snowboarding ski goggles are a good idea, because
    > snow blindness is a real risk. Is cycling different?

    I find it odd that no one else has said this, but I feel they are a must. Not so much for UV
    protection, but for eye protection. I have on numerous occasions had rocks smack me right in the
    lenses. Had I not been wearing sunglasses, those rocks would have hit me right in the eye.

  8. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > by Oakley Glasses and ever since, horrendously expensive pieces of fashionable plastic eyewear has
    > been de rigueur among the tifosi, the more insect like the appearance the better.

    If you can't budget $650 to $1000 a year on eye wear, then why even bother climbing on a bike in the
    first place?

    Please, when I get old and lose my MoJo like Jobst and Jon have and start making weird statements,
    will you sneak into my nursing home and put me out of my misery.

  9. Frank Riley <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I find it odd that no one else has said this, but I feel they are a must. Not so much for UV
    : protection, but for eye protection. I have on numerous occasions had rocks smack me right in the
    : lenses. Had I not been wearing sunglasses, those rocks would have hit me right in the eye.

    Where do you ride?

    I also wonder how much difference riding a low-slung recumbent makes. One would think there's more
    stuff from the road flying around at that altitude. It's a widely known fact that the insects are
    different too, juicier and contain more protein ;) Guess one ultra event with other bents and lots
    of uprights and I'll know... :)

  10. Belij3

    Belij3 Guest

    >They are mostly fashion

    I remember reading somewhere that riding w/o sunglasses causes more fatigue than riding with
    sunglasses. B

  11. [email protected] wrote:

    > Are biking glasses just fashion or a must, all things considered?

    Doctors claim a link between long term UV exposure and cataracts. However, my ordinary photogrey
    glasses are excellent UV blockers, so I don't worry about that.

    Long ago, I started a ride with a person with new contact lenses, who got a speck of dirt in her
    eye. Her discomfort was severe. We had to end the ride immediately. Perhaps if she'd had _some_ eye
    protection (even regular sunglasses) that wouldn't have happened.

    Other than that, I can't see a need for eye protection when cycling. I certainly can't see a need
    for _special_ glasses just for cycling - except for the style points, that is.

    I think it was Thoreau who said "Simplify!" and "Beware of enterprises which require new clothes."
    There are exceptions, of course, but I think those are often good ideas.

    --
    Frank Krygowski [email protected]

  12. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    anonymous writes:

    >> They are mostly fashion

    > I remember reading somewhere that riding w/o sunglasses causes more fatigue than riding with
    > sunglasses.

    Then it must be true!

  13. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are biking glasses just fashion or a must, all things
    considered?
    > Thinking about doing more and longer rides, so wondering
    if it's a
    > good idea to get them.
    >
    > Are there compelling reasons like road grit getting to
    your eyes,
    > or protection from the sun? On cold days I can get some
    watering
    > in my eyes, but I haven't experienced discomfort from road
    grit
    > even on my 7 hour ride. Is it more a problem in other
    locations or
    > during longer rides/tours?
    >
    > Normally I wear about -2 glasses, they'd have to go over
    them
    > which narrows down the selection. My glasses double us as sunglasses though... In snowboarding ski
    > goggles are a
    good idea,
    > because snow blindness is a real risk. Is cycling
    different?

    > --
    > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

    IMHO, wearing glasses while biking is a bit like wearing a helmet, (and I'm not trying to start a
    helmet discussion here.....) - you may never need the protection, but if you do you'll be glad you
    were wearing them

    That said, you have to be nuts to spend $40 or more on none prescription "cycling glasses" - a pair
    of cheap wraparound sun glasses will do, or a $10 pair of safety glasses

  14. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are biking glasses just fashion or a must, all things considered? Thinking about doing more and
    > longer rides, so wondering if it's a good idea to get them.

    I have a pair of cycling glasses made by Zeal. They have a built in sweatband, which is nice. Other
    than that, I haven't noticed any benefit over wearing $3 convenience store glasses. Here in
    insect-laden Florida glasses are a must, though.

  15. Risto Varanka wrote: "Normally I wear about -2 glasses, they'd have to go over them which narrows
    down the selection."

    - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Which is exactly why I use the Aero-Shield.

    It mounts to the helmet, stands away from the face (so you can wear your regular prescription
    glasses), allows flow through ventilation through the helmet yet still keeps the wind (and other
    things) out of your eyes. Because of its larger size, the 99% UV protection not only protects you
    yes, but the entire upper half of your face

    All this for less than about 20 grams total weight and it only costs about $45 (replacement lenses
    are about $7 each).

  16. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > Are biking glasses just fashion or a must, all things considered?
    >
    > Doctors claim a link between long term UV exposure and cataracts. However, my ordinary photogrey
    > glasses are excellent UV blockers, so I don't worry about that.
    >
    > Long ago, I started a ride with a person with new contact lenses, who got a speck of dirt in her
    > eye. Her discomfort was severe. We had to end the ride immediately. Perhaps if she'd had _some_
    > eye protection (even regular sunglasses) that wouldn't have happened.

    I agree with this; when I wear my contacts, I find that I always want something to protect my eyes
    from getting irritated by wind and dust. I have a couple of different pairs which I use, depending
    on the light conditions. When I'm wearing my regular prescription glasses, I don't find a need for
    anything more.

  17. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Chris
    Zacho "The Wheelman") says...
    > Risto Varanka wrote: "Normally I wear about -2 glasses, they'd have to go over them which narrows
    > down the selection."
    >
    > - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >
    > Which is exactly why I use the Aero-Shield.
    >
    > It mounts to the helmet, stands away from the face (so you can wear your regular prescription
    > glasses), allows flow through ventilation through the helmet yet still keeps the wind (and other
    > things) out of your eyes. Because of its larger size, the 99% UV protection not only protects you
    > yes, but the entire upper half of your face
    >
    > All this for less than about 20 grams total weight and it only costs about $45 (replacement lenses
    > are about $7 each).

    Where do you find these? Can they be moved from helmet to helmet?

  18. <[email protected]> wrote in message .fi...
    > Are biking glasses just fashion or a must, all things considered? Thinking about doing more and
    > longer rides, so wondering if it's a good idea to get them.

    André Korff was seen training on the Arenberg Forest and Wallers pave sections Wednesday and on the
    cobbles near Orchies on Friday wearing Rudy Project Grilamid TR 55/90 LX Ekynoxs, we'll just have to
    wait until the photos of the Paris-Roubaix come in tomorrow to find out what glasses he started the
    race with.

  19. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]_ids.net says...

    > > All this for less than about 20 grams total weight and it only costs about $45 (replacement
    > > lenses are about $7 each).
    >
    > Where do you find these? Can they be moved from helmet to helmet?

    Never mind; I saw the link in your next message.