Benefits of Carbon Cranks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lawrenpx, Oct 17, 2003.

1. lawrenpx

lawrenpx New Member

What are the real benefits of carbon cranks other than minor weight reductions which are important only to racers? Is there a better feel to them and less road shock? Is there a mechanical benefit?

Conversely, are there any negatives to carbon cranks, other than putting a big hole in your pocket? Are they expected to hold up over the long term as well as those made from conventional materials? I have heard rumors about delamination problems or cracks developing.

I am considering ordering the new 2004 Campy Record carbon crank and would value any of your input.

Regards,
    Paul

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

They may be a bit lighter,and lighten your wallet even more for no great benefit. I supose they look cool with the other record CF stuff if you are looking for chi-chi points. Otherwise,you may just end up looking like a poseur.

3. bigfloppyllama

bigfloppyllama New Member

Do then end up being any stiffer, or just lighter?

4. filtersweep

filtersweep New Member

Can you honestly feel your aluminum crank flex?

5. bigfloppyllama

bigfloppyllama New Member

I'm riding bottom of the barrel everything, so I have absolutely nothing to base anything off of other than what I'm used to. I have heard a few people I talk to mention the stiffness of there cranks. Just wondering I guess.

6. dhk

dhk New Member

Paul: You might want to check out FSA carbon cranks also, at
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/

I've heard they make good stuff. They have two models of great-looking carbon for less money than Campy, and use either an Octalink or ISIS axle. Since Cinelli is using FSA on their Campy bikes now, I figure they can't be too bad! Understand if you're all Campy currently and what to stay with that of course.

Pretty much agree with Boudreaux you on this one....I don't see a huge advantage other than the cool looks. However, I like to look at beautiful components, and don't consider people who ride expensive bikes poseurs....unless they come in with some kind of attitude that they are better because of how much they spent on what they ride. If they do, they generally get over it real quick when they get blown away by an experienced guy riding a 10 or 20 year old bike. That's one thing I love about this sport.

Dan