Benefits of Cycling

opposenyc

Nov 26, 2007
Hey everyone, i have to give a speech tomorrow trying to persuade people to start cycling. ive been riding my bike since may and ive lost something like 40lbs. i was wondering if someone here could provide me with some hard facts like how many calories you can lose an hour and all the health benefits. thanks!

opposenyc said:
Hey everyone, i have to give a speech tomorrow trying to persuade people to start cycling. ive been riding my bike since may and ive lost something like 40lbs. i was wondering if someone here could provide me with some hard facts like how many calories you can lose an hour and all the health benefits. thanks!
check the latest issue of bicycling mag (also on-line); article on loosing your gut; spells out calories per hour and other stuff.

opposenyc said:
Here's some caloric factoids with a lot of assumptions built in:
http://www.nutristrategy.com/fitness/cycling.htm

All the health benefits??? That's a tall order, how about greater cardiovascular fitness for a starter?

-Dave

lol yea i guess listing all the health benefits is a tall order and i probably wont have enough time. how about the top 3?

opposenyc said:
"Cycling at a gentle 12 mph on a flat road uses 450 kcal per hour." For more info visit

http://www.cobr.co.uk/e-cobr_information/n_and_l_cyclists_section/sections/benefits_of_cycling.shtml

:)

opposenyc said:

"Cyclists breathe in less fumes than car drivers "

more at http://www.bupa.co.uk/health_information/html/healthy_living/lifestyle/exercise/cycling/cycling_health.html

opposenyc said:
With both cycling and a better diet, I've lost 60 lbs. I recently changed life insurance: I had been rated "standard" risk, and was hoping to get the "preferred" rating. Instead, I jumped all the way to "super preferred", which saves me a bunch of money. If the change in life insurance rates is any indication of my longer life expectancy, that says a lot.