Benefits Of Cycling

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
I'm starting to see a reward for all the miles I am bicycling now. Someone in my house called me "handsome" for the first time in many years. Without coaching or prompting. I was totally floored and very pleased.

I think it is all because I am trying to train myself and become a real bicyclist.

Thanks a ton!

Bob

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
When I had my first bike, I couldn't sleep at night and I would even check it when everybody's already asleep. That excitement alone is a big benefit for me. Whenever I would ride, the feeling of independence would envelope me as if I were as free as the bird, so to speak. And then I could feel the power from the pedals which my feet are pushing. There's a lot to say about the benefits I get from riding so I guess I would leave the rest for the others who would post in this thread.

Reactions: BobCochran
I picked up cycling just as my marriage was ending. It was a way to help me sort through things, but it was also a way to meet new people and start a new life. Since then, it's been really great for my mental and physical health. I have a beautiful bike that takes me so many places that I'd never have seen had I not started biking long distances. Biking is so great!

We all know the importance of exercise and for me, this is the only way to keep yourself strict.

A. A daily requirement- for me, I walked to work 5 miles each way for 5 years or so. I never had to think about exercise or slack, It was my mode of transportation.

B.An exercise that isn't very time consuming-Example, I can put a Chinup bar up, and do pushups and situps for 20-30 minutes for a decent workout.

C.Something you love to do- I like to run, I love to bike! I enjoyed ever ride I went on, even the one when I had a flat 25 miles out and a defective spare tube,lol...

C is definitely the easiest way to ensure you are taking care of yourself. A and B can feel like a "chore" at times, but thinking about exercise this way has kept me consistent.

The greatest benefit is the sense of freedom that one gets riding around in the open. Something that you don't even get with a motorcar because you are in an enclosed environment, unless you're driving a cabriolet. The other major benefit is the fact that you'll be getting a ton of exercise, especially if you're cycling on a regular basis. Beats going to gym anytime, and a hell of a lot more fun.

Yes, I love the feeling of freedom and the exercise. You all put it so very well. Thanks!

With a little study, I can do all the maintenance and repairs on my bike. So I feel more healthy and independent.

Thanks

Bob

I got into cycling because I love the peace and quiet I experience on each ride. I might be actively exerting effort while I ride and there could be outside distractions but I feel some peace inside whenever I grab my bike and go out. I think this has been a good way to destress myself from all the issues of life , works and relationships

I was asked to do a pretty lengthy customer research survey the other day by Specialized - one ? was along the lines of what is the single best emotional benefit of riding?

I answered "sense of freedom"

The best part for me is that feeling of finally conquering a hill that I've never made it up before.
When I first started mountain biking I found it really demoralizing that I had to get off and push in some spots while everyone else flew by.
When you're finally able to ride those spots where you used to have to push, it's a great feeling, and it's concrete proof of how much strength and stamina you've built, which always makes me want to challenge myself even further!

It's a hobby for most. and a lifestyle for some. Cycling is a great exercise and it keeps you fit. It's environmentally friendly activity whether you know it or not. It keep you out of the house and out of trouble. Something to do besides pissing it on beer.

Physical and mental health comes first to my mind when thinking of cycling. Well, at least these are the effects on me :)
I can't really think of my life without cycling, even for ten minutes every day is enough.

Cycling is a tremendous endeavor and a good exercise that tests the limits of your body and mind. As with any type of physical activity, it's very rewarding and makes you feel great and become physically fit. Being more physically fit, your body and mind benefits and it shows.

I can only imagine the delight that spurred in you? It is a proven fact that exercise helps to keep you looking younger. And what better way to exercise than cycling. It strengthens especially your legs and abdomen, which you will need to run in case of dangers lol.

Uawadall said:
We all know the importance of exercise and for me, this is the only way to keep yourself strict.

A. A daily requirement- for me, I walked to work 5 miles each way for 5 years or so. I never had to think about exercise or slack, It was my mode of transportation.

B.An exercise that isn't very time consuming-Example, I can put a Chinup bar up, and do pushups and situps for 20-30 minutes for a decent workout.

C.Something you love to do- I like to run, I love to bike! I enjoyed ever ride I went on, even the one when I had a flat 25 miles out and a defective spare tube,lol...

C is definitely the easiest way to ensure you are taking care of yourself. A and B can feel like a "chore" at times, but thinking about exercise this way has kept me consistent.
This sums it up perfectly for me. I use the bike to commute to work and then either run or cycle 2-3 times a week above this. Not because I have to but because I love to!

If I tried doing something I didn't enjoy then it would become a chore and I would drop it... simples!

For me the benefit of cycling is the way it helps me to cool off and think about things.

I mostly go for rides at night now and while I'm out I can just be alone, listen to some music if I want and just think about what needs to be done while I cycle into the night.

Being active is always a plus. It beats high fuel prices and a sedentary lifestyle. It's a good way to get around for short distances if you want to do it quicker than walking. It's also a nice way to deal with gaps in public transit service.

There are many physical as well as mental benefits of cycling. It keeps us fit. It's the best exercise one can practise if you want to keep your joints fit. I actually enjoy cycling more than anything else in my life and that's why I ride my bike daily. I love cycling and that's why I consider myself a cycling enthusiast.

I assembled my first bicycle with my father, suffice to say It was an estimulating experience. I remember very well the first day I ride that beauty across a gravel road. My first bike, and a fit one, with brakes in both wheels!. Since that moment, I began to exercise a lot more and enjoy outdoors. This is a great deal for a kid that was an indoor shy boy.