Benefits of Dairy Products

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by M.Eagan, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. M.Eagan

    M.Eagan Guest

    February 11, 2004

    NUTRITION NEWS FOCUS

    "Nutrition news is important. We help you understand it!"

    Today's Topic: Eating Dairy Saves Healthcare Dollars

    A new analysis concludes that if American ate 3-4 servings of dairy foods each day, the country
    would save more than 200 billion dollars over five years. This estimate is based on reductions of
    obesity, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, kidney stones, preeclampsia of pregnancy, and
    colorectal cancer with greater intake of dairy foods, the primary dietary sources of calcium and
    vitamin D.

    This was an academic exercise, estimating current healthcare expenses and basing the reductions in
    costs on many controlled trials, observational studies, and long-term prospective surveys of people
    consuming dairy or taking calcium supplements. The study was published in the January 2004 issue of
    the American Journal of Hypertension. < http://www.cardiosource.com/library/journals/journal/articl-
    e/abstract?acronym=AJH&uid=PIIS0895706103011154&kwhighligh= >

    HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: The biggest estimated

    effect was a 40 percent reduction in the costs for treating high blood pressure. Twenty-five percent
    reductions in the costs for obesity and type 2 diabetes were also projected. The evidence that most
    of us do not get enough calcium is compelling. Many products offering reduced and nonfat, low
    lactose, and other varieties of dairy make this food available to all.

    Tags:

  2. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    "M.Eagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > February 11, 2004
    >
    > NUTRITION NEWS FOCUS
    >
    > "Nutrition news is important. We help you understand it!"
    >
    > Today's Topic: Eating Dairy Saves Healthcare Dollars
    >
    > A new analysis concludes that if American ate 3-4 servings of dairy foods each day, the country
    > would save more than 200 billion dollars over five years. This estimate is based on reductions of
    > obesity, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, kidney stones, preeclampsia of pregnancy,
    > and colorectal cancer with greater intake of dairy foods, the primary dietary sources of calcium
    > and vitamin D.
    >
    > This was an academic exercise, estimating current healthcare expenses and basing the reductions in
    > costs on many controlled trials, observational studies, and long-term prospective surveys of
    > people consuming dairy or taking calcium supplements. The study was published in the January 2004
    > issue of the American Journal of Hypertension. < http://www.cardiosource.com/library/journals/jou-
    > rnal/article/abstract?acronym=AJH&uid=PIIS0895706103011154&kwhighligh= >
    >
    > HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: The biggest estimated
    >
    > effect was a 40 percent reduction in the costs for treating high blood pressure. Twenty-five
    > percent reductions in the costs for obesity and type 2 diabetes were also projected. The evidence
    > that most of us do not get enough calcium is compelling. Many products offering reduced and
    > nonfat, low lactose, and other varieties of dairy make this food available to all.

    About the authors:

    ----------------------------
    David A. McCarron, M.D., Visiting Professor, Department of Nutrition, University of California,
    Davis. (Formerly) Professor of Medicine and Division Head, Department of Nephrology, Hypertension,
    and Clinical Pharmacology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR. Research on the effects
    of increasing calcium in the diet supported by the National Dairy Promotion and Research Board. (Am.
    J. Clin. Nutr. 1994;59:900-7) Received research grants and awards from the National Dairy Council in
    1979, 1980, 1981, and 1992-93. (Resume dated 4/96; on file with CSPI; accessed 6/19/02) Consultant
    to the Salt Institute. ("Hypertension and Nutrition Experts Available for Comment Concerning the
    Salt Institute Petition," 9/19/96; phone call between the Salt Institute and CSPI) Submitted
    proposals asking Frito-Lay, Inc. to fund studies the company would use as part of a "Calcium
    Antihypertension" campaign that, according to a 1982 internal Frito-Lay memo, would "release the
    pressure on sodium." Consultant to the Salt Institute for $3,000/year. (New Scientist, 08/22/98) Co-
    author of a paper on dietary changes and bone remodeling in older adults supported by a grant from
    the International Dairy Foods Association. (J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 1999;99:1228-33) Research on the
    effects of folate and vitamins B-12 and B-6 on serum total homocysteine (tHcy) supported by Campbell
    Soup Company. (Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2000;70:881-7) According to the New York Times, "McCarron serves
    as a paid medical consultant for both the dairy industry and the Salt Institute, a trade group of
    salt manufacturers." (New York Times, 1/9/01, F1) Similarly, a CNN-TV report indicated, "McCarron is
    on the Salt Industry's scientific advisory board and has been a paid consultant to the group."
    (http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/01/03/salt.blood.pressure/index.html; accessed 7/02/02) President of
    Academic Network LLC, a healthcare consulting and communications company.
    (http://www.academicnetwork.com/medical.html; accessed 11/18/03) Academic Network's client list
    includes 35 pharmaceutical manufacturers, food companies, and industry trade associations including
    Boehringer Ingelheim, Campbell Soup Company, Carnation Foods, Forest Laboratories, Inc.,
    GlaxoSmithKline, Hoffman-LaRoche, Inc., International Olive Oil Council, Kraft-General Foods, Mars,
    Inc., McNeil Nutritionals, Merck, Milk Processors Association, Novartis Consumer Healthcare,
    PepsiCo, Pfizer, Pharmacia, Procter and Gamble, The Salt Institute, Sandoz Pharmaceuticals (now
    Novartis), Tropicana Products, and Wyeth Laboratories.
    (http://www.academicnetwork.com/clientlist.html; accessed 11/18/03)

    Robert Heaney, M.D., John A. Creighton University Professor, Creighton University, Omaha, NE.
    Coauthor of a paper on calcium citrate malate funded in part by Procter & Gamble and the National
    Dairy Council. (Calcified Tissue Int'l., 1990, 46:300) Wrote commissioned paper on caffeine for ILSI
    (Food Chemical News, 10/12/98, p.28-30). First author of a study on dietary changes and bone
    remodeling in older adults supported by the International Dairy Foods Association. (J. Am. Diet.
    Assoc. 1999;99:1228-33)
    ---------------------------------

    I wouldn't believe a single word from either of these two industry prostitutes. I don't believe for
    a moment that these guys give a rats you-know-what about our health or saving health-care money.

    ILSI is a kiss of death for any researchers professional credibility.

    TC

  3. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    Actually, the article discusses the benefits of CALCIUM. Dairy is one way to get that but not
    the only way.

    --
    jmk in NC