Benefits of walking for the heart?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by George, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. George

    George Guest

    Can someone give me some specific information on the benefits of
    walking say 1/4 to 1/2 mile per day (early evening...after dinner) for
    a person with existing heart problems?

    I will add that the doctor has suggested this routine but I'd like to
    know what, if any, are the proven benefits.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. George,

    The issue of how much exercise to prescribe for heart disease is
    complex. If you want to second guess your doc, I suggest searching
    www.medscape.com If you want a layman's version, try the AHA
    http://www.americanheart.org/ In a nutshell use it or lose it.
    "Existing heart problems" is too general to give you an answer.