Benotto track frames?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Supabonbon, Mar 31, 2004.

  1. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    Anybody know much about Benotto track bikes? I found their frame at:

    http://www.trackbikesource.com/standardtrack.html

    I pulled up benotto.com but I don't speak Italian.

    I've heard things like they were manufactured in Mexico by
    DeRosa. I don't know much about their actual quality. Lugged
    chromo sounds good (I'm a strong 210lb who'll be riding
    primarily on the road with occaisional trips to Kissena
    Velodrome). Cinelli bb, Superbe drops and fork ends sounds
    good. The price is higher than I was planning on spending
    but not out of the question.

    Can anybody help me find out more, or recommend them one way
    or another? These seem to be either new frames or NOS.

    Grazie? Gracias? TIA!

    Scott

    Tags:

  2. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    [email protected] (supabonbon) writes:

    > Anybody know much about Benotto track bikes? I found their
    > frame at:
    >
    > http://www.trackbikesource.com/standardtrack.html
    >
    > I pulled up benotto.com but I don't speak Italian.
    >
    > I've heard things like they were manufactured in Mexico
    > by DeRosa.

    Hecho in Mexico, si. By deRosa, no. By a company that bought
    the Benotto and Windsor names in the 70's and moved the
    production to Mexico. I think that company is out of
    business, but I could very well be wrong.

    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Benotto_main.htm

    > I don't know much about their actual quality. Lugged
    > chromo sounds good (I'm a strong 210lb who'll be riding
    > primarily on the road with occaisional trips to Kissena
    > Velodrome). Cinelli bb, Superbe drops and fork ends sounds
    > good. The price is higher than I was planning on spending
    > but not out of the question.

    There are many options to choose from.

    > Can anybody help me find out more, or recommend them one
    > way or another? These seem to be either new frames or NOS.

    The old frames had a reputation for cracking at the seat
    tube/BB joint from overheating. My late 70's/early 80's
    Windsor Profesional track bike is still going strong,
    however. It's a dead ringer for a Cinelli of the period and
    is often initially mistaken for one.

  3. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (supabonbon) writes:
    >
    > > Anybody know much about Benotto track bikes? I found
    > > their frame at:
    > >
    > > http://www.trackbikesource.com/standardtrack.html
    > >
    > > I pulled up benotto.com but I don't speak Italian.
    > >
    > > I've heard things like they were manufactured in Mexico
    > > by DeRosa.
    >
    > Hecho in Mexico, si. By deRosa, no. By a company that
    > bought the Benotto and Windsor names in the 70's and moved
    > the production to Mexico. I think that company is out of
    > business, but I could very well be wrong.
    >
    > http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Benotto_main.htm
    >
    > > I don't know much about their actual quality. Lugged
    > > chromo sounds good (I'm a strong 210lb who'll be riding
    > > primarily on the road with occaisional trips to Kissena
    > > Velodrome). Cinelli bb, Superbe drops and fork ends
    > > sounds good. The price is higher than I was planning on
    > > spending but not out of the question.
    >
    > There are many options to choose from.

    Muchos gracias for the information. Any suggestions?

    Scott

  4. Bw

    Bw Guest

    > > Hecho in Mexico, si. By deRosa, no. By a company that
    > > bought the Benotto and Windsor names in the 70's and
    > > moved the production to Mexico. I think that company is
    > > out of business, but I could very well be wrong.

    Wrong is right. Senor Giacinto Benotto relocated to Mexico
    from Italy and continued in the bicycle business until his
    death a few years ago. His brand ruled the Mexican bike
    market and continues to although most of the bikes are
    imported from Asia today. http://www.benotto.com.mx

    Windsor was an unrelated Mexican bicycle company though it
    shared a thread in predominantly Italian management.

  5. Robert Canon

    Robert Canon Guest

    "supabonbon" Wrote
    > http://www.trackbikesource.com/standardtrack.html Any
    > suggestions?

    From the old style Spicer logo and the photo contest
    deadline being November 2001 I'm thinking that's an old
    Spicer page that didn't get pulled down for one reason or
    another. You could drop Gene a line from
    http://www.spicercycles.com/ (notice the new chain snake
    logo) and ask him what he can do you for in the way of a
    track frame. I've been very happy with product and service
    related to two road going fixies I've bought from him.

  6. Baird Webel

    Baird Webel Guest

    On 3/31/04 4:47 PM, in article
    [email protected],
    "supabonbon"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anybody know much about Benotto track bikes? I found their
    > frame at:
    >
    > http://www.trackbikesource.com/standardtrack.html
    >
    > I pulled up benotto.com but I don't speak Italian.
    >
    > I've heard things like they were manufactured in Mexico by
    > DeRosa. I don't know much about their actual quality.
    > Lugged chromo sounds good (I'm a strong 210lb who'll be
    > riding primarily on the road with occaisional trips to
    > Kissena Velodrome). Cinelli bb, Superbe drops and fork
    > ends sounds good. The price is higher than I was planning
    > on spending but not out of the question.
    >
    > Can anybody help me find out more, or recommend them one
    > way or another? These seem to be either new frames or NOS.

    I have a Benotto track frame that was bought new probably 7
    years ago. One of my friends got a good deal on them in
    quantity. It is very basic tubing, a grade or two under SL
    and the paint sucked, but the bike handles very nicely,
    stiff and quick which is about all you need out of a track
    frame. I've been very happy with it both on the track and
    with a brake on the road. If I were you I would also look
    into something used. I got a nice older Serotta for well
    under what they want for the Benotto. Track stuff doesn't
    wear out very quickly.

    Baird