Bent and dented chainstay

JackTheLadd

Jul 16, 2005
Hi,

I have a KHS Flite 800 frame (Reynolds 853) which I crashed while racing last Sunday. The frame acquired a dent on the non-drive side chainstay, about half way along its length (pictures below). The dent is not too large, about 1mm deep at its worst, and involves about one quarter the diameter of the stay. The dent does not contain a crease in the metal, it's a pretty smooth indentation. The paint is unmarked, except for a very small split at the very bottom of the dent. The stay (which should be straight) was also knocked inwards about 1mm off straight, with the worst of the deviation centred at the dent.

I've checked the spaced of the rear dropouts, and it is unaffected by the bent chainstay (still 130mm). I dropped a wheel into the dropouts and tightened it up. A visual check seems to show that it is just about equidistant from both chainstays.

So, here are my questions:

1) With this being a steel frame, a dent like this, in this location, probably shouldn't be a major issue. Is this correct?

2) Would such a small deviation in the chainstay have any serious reprecussions on the handling of the frame? The frame should obviously be checked for alignment, I know, but if the chainstay wasn't straightened is a 1mm deviation going to throw tracking all to heck, or would this be in the ballpark for normal frame misalignments?

I really like this frame, and I want to be able to keep racing on it, but of course I want to have confidence in it also. Any advice or personal experiences would be gratefully received!

Not sure, but I'd want to get rid of it.. the dent would **** me off as long as I had the bike.

JackTheLadd said:
Hi,

I have a KHS Flite 800 frame (Reynolds 853) which I crashed while racing last Sunday. The frame acquired a dent on the non-drive side chainstay, about half way along its length (pictures below). The dent is not too large, about 1mm deep at its worst, and involves about one quarter the diameter of the stay. The dent does not contain a crease in the metal, it's a pretty smooth indentation. The paint is unmarked, except for a very small split at the very bottom of the dent. The stay (which should be straight) was also knocked inwards about 1mm off straight, with the worst of the deviation centred at the dent.

I've checked the spaced of the rear dropouts, and it is unaffected by the bent chainstay (still 130mm). I dropped a wheel into the dropouts and tightened it up. A visual check seems to show that it is just about equidistant from both chainstays.

1) With this being a steel frame, a dent like this, in this location, probably shouldn't be a major issue. Is this correct?

2) Would such a small deviation in the chainstay have any serious reprecussions on the handling of the frame? The frame should obviously be checked for alignment, I know, but if the chainstay wasn't straightened is a 1mm deviation going to throw tracking all to heck, or would this be in the ballpark for normal frame misalignments?

I really like this frame, and I want to be able to keep racing on it, but of course I want to have confidence in it also. Any advice or personal experiences would be gratefully received!

JackTheLadd said:
Hi,

If there is a framebuilder in your neck of the woods, then see what s/he thinks about it -- s/he may not think it is worth worrying about OR go so far as to suggest that the stay be replaced OR something in-between. It will be worth the peace of mind.

As you describe the stays, I don't think the handling will be affected.

I know someone whose Paramount (circa 1980) has a huge (by comparison) & serious crease in the top tube ... I never check the exact location, but I think the handlebars were inadvertantly slammed into it.

Although he has mentioned getting it repaired, he hasn't, AFAIK.

Also, AFAIK, he has no qualms about riding the bike.

Having said that, I think there are potentially more stresses on the stays than the top tube (but, they are more in the vertical plane AND toward the non-drive side ... the side that IS dented -- uh oh); so, if it were MY frame, as a DIY "fix" I would probably fill the void & braze or silver solder a reenfocing "tongue" (similar to the type they used to use on the inside of forks to reenforce the shoulders ... you-or-your-framebuilder can probably fabricate something from scratch) across the affected area. It doesn't have to be fugly ... your skill levels will determine how well it looks ...

OR, I'd see if a framebuilder would make THAT kind of topical repair.

Many Thanks for the replies! I have gone the "local framebuilder" route, as suggested. The frame is basically new, and I really can't stomach getting rid of it for such relatively minor damage without some sort of fight! ;)

I sanded off the paint on the dented area, and there are no cracks or nasty gouges in the metal. Hopefully that means the prognosis is not too bad.

JackTheLadd said:
Many Thanks for the replies! I have gone the "local framebuilder" route, as suggested. The frame is basically new, and I really can't stomach getting rid of it for such relatively minor damage without some sort of fight! ;)

I sanded off the paint on the dented area, and there are no cracks or nasty gouges in the metal. Hopefully that means the prognosis is not too bad.
bummer. I had a similar experience, 3 month old fancy thin steel-tubed bike, except it was the seat stays that had dents. 10,000 miles later and no problems, except aesthetics and the knowledge that eventually somehow it will/could fail there, so no more fast descents on that bike. I wouldn't bring a brazing torch near it, unless you're willing to replace the tube. it does hurt to look at it, but I would keep racing it until you have another crash or feel the need for a new frame; at least it will be easy to justify your next frame purchase!