Bent brake bolt: replace?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cliff, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. cliff

    cliff New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2003
    In a slide-out crash, a front brake bolt was bent to the left about 3mm when the bars turned and the brake arm hit the downtube. The brake is a Dura Ace 7403 (eight speed group). Should the brake bolt be replaced, or simply bent back? If replacement is required, does anyone know if this part is available from Shimano?
    TIA.

    Cliff

    Tags:

  2. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    Replace it. I'm sure the parts are available, and you'd be surprised at how common some
    parts are. :)

    cliff wrote:

    > In a slide-out crash, a front brake bolt was bent to the left about 3mm when the bars turned and
    > the brake arm hit the downtube. The brake is a Dura Ace 7403 (eight speed group). Should the brake
    > bolt be replaced, or simply bent back? If replacement is required, does anyone know if this part
    > is available from Shimano? TIA.
    >
    > Cliff

    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 "The best index to a person's character is a) how he treats people who can't do him any good
    and b) how he treats people who can't fight back."
    - Abigail Van Buren

  3. Cliff-<< In a slide-out crash, a front brake bolt was bent to the left about 3mm when the bars
    turned and the brake arm hit the downtube. The brake is a Dura Ace 7403 (eight speed group). Should
    the brake bolt be replaced, or simply bent back? If replacement is required, does anyone know if
    this part is available from Shimano? TIA.

    Not available from shimano but some bike shops, like ours, can get it. It is steel and steel is very
    forgiving in bending but if ya can find a bolt, just replace it-Call the shop, talk to Sean or
    Jim..I'm on holiday until the 23rd.