Bent Chainring

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by pas, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. pas

    pas Guest

    Looks like I'm 2 for 2, in two summers, middle ring. Other than the obvious
    operator error, is there anything else that can cause this? Something in the
    drive train/crank system that's out of whack, not just me running into
    things?

    Just wondering.

    Penny

    Tags:

  2. jack

    jack Guest

    "pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Looks like I'm 2 for 2, in two summers, middle ring. Other than the

    obvious
    > operator error, is there anything else that can cause this? Something in

    the
    > drive train/crank system that's out of whack, not just me running into
    > things?
    >
    > Just wondering.
    >
    > Penny

    I bent my brand new Raceface middle ring after power shifting from the big
    ring to the middle while climbing a steep riser. Crankset was a week old so
    Raceface warrantied the ring. It was going to take a month to get a new
    ring so I bought a steel Deore middle ring to ride with. After 2 years the
    Deore chainring is still on while the new Raceface ring is still in the box.

    I ain't no weight weenie or racerboy so I buy the cheapest stuff that
    reliabley and safely works. Stuff will break even if you're not hard on
    your bike.

  3. Factors like cheap rings,short chain, chain mested
    up,even a bad derailleur. Lets not forget bent teeth.

    I MTB 2004

  4. MattB

    MattB Guest

    pas wrote:
    > Looks like I'm 2 for 2, in two summers, middle ring. Other than the
    > obvious operator error, is there anything else that can cause this?
    > Something in the drive train/crank system that's out of whack, not
    > just me running into things?
    >
    > Just wondering.
    >
    > Penny

    I did three middle rings in a summer a coule of summers ago. I think it
    ended up being a chainsuck problem. The chain would wedge between the ring
    and the frame and that was enough lateral force to bend it. Never proved it,
    but it seems likely (and I was having suck issues then too).

    Matt