Bent Chainring

pas

Guest
Looks like I'm 2 for 2, in two summers, middle ring. Other than the obvious
operator error, is there anything else that can cause this? Something in the
drive train/crank system that's out of whack, not just me running into
things?

Just wondering.

Penny

"pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Looks like I'm 2 for 2, in two summers, middle ring. Other than the

obvious
> operator error, is there anything else that can cause this? Something in

the
> drive train/crank system that's out of whack, not just me running into
> things?
>
> Just wondering.
>
> Penny

I bent my brand new Raceface middle ring after power shifting from the big
ring to the middle while climbing a steep riser. Crankset was a week old so
Raceface warrantied the ring. It was going to take a month to get a new
ring so I bought a steel Deore middle ring to ride with. After 2 years the
Deore chainring is still on while the new Raceface ring is still in the box.

I ain't no weight weenie or racerboy so I buy the cheapest stuff that
reliabley and safely works. Stuff will break even if you're not hard on
your bike.

pas wrote:
> Looks like I'm 2 for 2, in two summers, middle ring. Other than the
> obvious operator error, is there anything else that can cause this?
> Something in the drive train/crank system that's out of whack, not
> just me running into things?
>
> Just wondering.
>
> Penny

I did three middle rings in a summer a coule of summers ago. I think it
ended up being a chainsuck problem. The chain would wedge between the ring
and the frame and that was enough lateral force to bend it. Never proved it,
but it seems likely (and I was having suck issues then too).

Matt