Bent Computer Help?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ben, May 9, 2003.

  1. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Hey Gang,

    I was running a Nashbar wireless computer on my Burley Canto LWB. The computer was mounted on the post between the crank arms and the USS. Thus, my left pant leg kept grabbing the computer. Not a good thing.

    At the suggestion of some of you, I bought a Cateye Astrale with the so-called "long wire" included from Hostel Shoppe. Well, the long wire is none too long. It's only about 48" from the computer to the end of the sensor. This is not nearly long enough for a LWB.

    The good folk at Hostel Shoppe surveyed the computers they carried, only to find that none of the "long wire" versions were long enough for a LWB configuration.

    They suggested splicing the wires to make lengthen the wire. This makes sense, but before I starting cutting the wire on a brand spanking new computer, I thought I would ask the experts.

    How have other LWBers handled this problem?

    Help is always appreciated.

    Ben >>>>>>Canto>>>>>

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Hey Gang,
    >
    > I was running a Nashbar wireless computer on my Burley Canto LWB. The computer was mounted on the
    > post between the crank arms and the USS. Thus, my left pant leg kept grabbing the computer. Not a
    > good thing.
    >
    > At the suggestion of some of you, I bought a Cateye Astrale with the so-called "long wire"
    > included from Hostel Shoppe. Well, the long wire is none too long. It's only about 48" from the
    > computer to the end of the sensor. This is not nearly long enough for a LWB.
    >
    > The good folk at Hostel Shoppe surveyed the computers they carried, only to find that none of the
    > "long wire" versions were long enough for a LWB configuration.
    >
    > They suggested splicing the wires to make lengthen the wire. This makes sense, but before I
    > starting cutting the wire on a brand spanking new computer, I thought I would ask the experts.
    >
    > How have other LWBers handled this problem?

    Most LWBs do not have 'remote' steering like your Burley. 48" seem a bit short for the Astrale. I
    used one on my LWB Stratus with the speed sensor mounted on the front wheel (the only configuration
    that works for the typical LWB) If that is what you have tried, does the instructions for DF bikes
    to mount on the rear offere any more opportunity to reach the H/B?

    At present I have a VDO (Cytec) C15 with the long wire harness. I can measure the long wire to see
    if it is sufficient to reach the distance from your H/B to your front fork if you can quote a
    minimum distance. http://www.bikeworld.com/vdo.htm#sensor

    I have spliced many computer wires. I find that dual lead ear phone wire from walkman radios works
    best. I do not solder. I use very small (telephone wire) butt connectors and heat shrink tubing. All
    from Radio Shack.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Ben says...

    >Hey Gang,
    >
    >I was running a Nashbar wireless computer on my Burley Canto LWB. The computer was mounted on the
    >post between the crank arms and the USS. Thus, my left pant leg kept grabbing the computer. Not a
    >good thing.
    >
    >At the suggestion of some of you, I bought a Cateye Astrale with the so-called "long wire" included
    >from Hostel Shoppe. Well, the long wire is none too long. It's only about 48" from the computer to
    >the end of the sensor. This is not nearly long enough for a LWB.
    >
    >The good folk at Hostel Shoppe surveyed the computers they carried, only to find that none of the
    >"long wire" versions were long enough for a LWB configuration.

    Go to www.planetbike.com. Their computer (my favorite) comes with a 32" wire, but you can get 51"
    and 63" versions.

    Steve Christensen Midland, MI

  4. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Hostel Shoppe has obviously not tried the Topeak Panoram on the Canto. I have the long wire version of it and it fits just find on my Canto.

    Derek

  5. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    Cletus, I like your Radio Shack idea. But here is one for you. I tried hooking up the Planet Bike
    computer with the extended wire kit for tandem setups and 'bents, but we could not get the
    magnet/sensor to register on the back wheel. We tried and tried. Finally we just gave up on the
    extended wire and hooked the computer to the front wheel of my Bacchetta. That seems to work just
    fine. I wonder if other people with the LWB's or are just using the long wire on the SWB's had
    this problem?

  6. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Cletus, I like your Radio Shack idea. But here is one for you. I tried hooking up the Planet Bike
    > computer with the extended wire kit for tandem setups and 'bents, but we could not get the
    > magnet/sensor to register on the back wheel. We tried and tried. Finally we just gave up on the
    > extended wire and hooked the computer to the front wheel of my Bacchetta. That seems to work just
    > fine. I wonder if other people with the LWB's or are just using the long wire on the SWB's had
    > this problem?

    I have always mounted the computer sensor on the front wheel fork. The sensor to magnet distance
    usually can not be more than 5mm, More typically mine are 1-3mm apart. Sometimes this means the
    sensor is mounted close to the hub or spacers placed between the fork and the sensor to get it
    closer to the spokes.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  7. Perry Butler

    Perry Butler Guest

    Ben

    I have the new Cateye Astrale on Terry's and my Tour Easy. We bought the aero bar wire kit which
    comes with a 69" cable. The sensor is mounted on the back wheel on both bikes and the computer
    mounted on the top cross bar of the handle bars. Doesn't get much longer than that!

    Unfortunately, the Hostel Shoppe sold you the wrong kit. You would think a bike shop that sells
    mostly bents would know better. Go to http://www.cateye.com/smallparts01.php?products_id=33 for more
    information. Yes, it does cost an extra $14.

    We have two older Astrales mounted on the back wheel of our V-Rex's. I like mounting the sensor on
    the back wheel. We travel a lot and kept tearing the senor off when it was mounted on the front of
    the V-Rex's. Haven't torn one off since I bought the long mount to put the sensor on the back wheel.

    Hope this helps,

    Perry B 88? Tour Easy 98 Tailwind 02 V-Rex

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hey Gang,
    >
    > I was running a Nashbar wireless computer on my Burley Canto LWB. The computer was mounted on the
    > post between the crank arms and the USS. Thus, my left pant leg kept grabbing the computer. Not a
    > good thing.
    >
    > At the suggestion of some of you, I bought a Cateye Astrale with the so-called "long wire"
    > included from Hostel Shoppe. Well, the long wire is none too long. It's only about 48" from the
    > computer to the end of the sensor. This is not nearly long enough for a LWB.
    >
    > The good folk at Hostel Shoppe surveyed the computers they carried, only to find that none of the
    > "long wire" versions were long enough for a LWB configuration.
    >
    > They suggested splicing the wires to make lengthen the wire. This makes sense, but before I
    > starting cutting the wire on a brand spanking new computer, I thought I would ask the experts.
    >
    > How have other LWBers handled this problem?
    >
    > Help is always appreciated.
    >
    > Ben >>>>>>Canto>>>>>

  8. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    I've always mounted mine on the front wheel as well. With my Cateye Mity 3 on the Linear LWB, I made
    a bracket with some thinwall aluminum mounted to the the chain guard and the standard length wire.
    Since I tend to like one particular readout, I didn't worry about accessing it while riding. On my
    Phantom, the Planet Bike wire was about 8" too short, so I machined an aluminum bracket that clamps
    to the stem in a strategic position. This one is easy to access and read, as my 55 year old eyes get
    worse for close ups!! chas

  9. Mike Vore

    Mike Vore Guest

    I'm riding a Limbo, with the Astrale and have spliced in the 'long wire' kit to the starnard wiring.
    The long kit didn't look long enough. I'd spliced other before so I thought 'no problem'. But the
    Cat Eye wiring needs to be soldered, not just twisted. The wires have instulation on individual
    strands, and soldering will break down that instulation.

    mike

    --
    Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8 (MU)] WHIRL (Burley LIMBO) http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
    <-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog