Bent crashes, your experience?

Just signed up for the group.....
I bought a Vision 50 USS in 2001.
With 1000 miles under my belt I went up to Canada for a Braunstorm tour.
At the end of the first day with the night's campsite in view I approached a railroad crossing.
The tracks were at a steep angle to the road looking like 8:20 on a clock. Not having seen the caution sign at the tracks, I proceeded to cross at a relatively high speed.
The street had some traffic on it.
I started my 90 degree cross too far to the left away from the shoulder.
This forced me into the oncoming lane as my front tire passed the tracks.
I the turned to the right BEFORE my rear tire had passed the last rail.
My bike got caught in the rail and the momentum of stopping suddenly at 15 mph threw me feet forward from the bike.
I landed on my hip/ass about 3 feet forward from the tracks, breaking my hip in a few places.
Fortunately, the only ER hospital on the ride was only a few blocks away.
I had surgery the next day.
It took a while for the Canadian health system and my insurance to settle up, but evrybody eventually was paid.
After 17 weeks off work and learning how to walk normally again I fully recovered.
The accident was in June and I was back on the Vision though somewhat painfully in October.
It took about 1 year after the accident before I was comfortable on the bike again.
However, I never look at tracks the same way anymore.

zgoofywon said:
Just signed up for the group.....
I bought a Vision 50 USS in 2001.
With 1000 miles under my belt I went up to Canada for a Braunstorm tour.
At the end of the first day with the night's campsite in view I approached a railroad crossing....

It took about 1 year after the accident before I was comfortable on the bike again.
However, I never look at tracks the same way anymore.
I think we're all going to look at rail road crossings differently now, Thanks for sharing your story.