Bent derailleur hanger

It appears that the rear derailleur hanger on my bike is bent. My
bicycle has an integral derailleur hanger, and is also an aluminum
framed bicycle. It appears that leads to a risk that the derailleur
hanger might break off or at least crack, if straightened.

If the derailleur hanger did break off, either immediately or at some
later time, would it be possible to fit one of the rear derailleurs
that are attached using the rear wheel nut?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It appears that the rear derailleur hanger on my bike is bent. My
> bicycle has an integral derailleur hanger, and is also an aluminum
> framed bicycle. It appears that leads to a risk that the derailleur
> hanger might break off or at least crack, if straightened.
>
> If the derailleur hanger did break off, either immediately or at some
> later time, would it be possible to fit one of the rear derailleurs
> that are attached using the rear wheel nut?

Long before there were dropouts with integral derailleur hangers most
derailleurs had some sort of attachment that was held in place by the rear
axle or some similar method.

At one time the hanger adapters came with just about every new derailleur.
We threw them away now there selling on eBay.

To answer your question, there is a chance that you may break your dropout
if you try to straighten the derailleur hanger.

How bent is it?

You might want to take the bike to someone who has experience with this
and they may recommend cutting off the hanger and using an adapter.

Chas.