bent disc rotor

probob

Aug 20, 2004
i,ve just bought a new bike from mail order company ( scott nitrous 30 2004) and the rear disc rotor seems to be slightly bent. is there a way to unbend it. the problem with the mail order is i've got to send it back for it to be fixed under warranty, which is more expensive that just buying a new rotor

i think youll find it pretty hard to get the rotor exactly straight, i'd just get a new rotor if they wont send you as nw one without sending the whole thing back

otherwise if thats gonna cost too much just try bending it back if its not too bad, it will probly still rub a bit though

That sucks to have a new bike arrive with a problem like that.

What I've done in the past is to try and bend back the rotor as best as you can with your fingers and thumbs and then clean the rotor off with rubbing alcohol to get the oils off from your skin. If you have a real nasty bend you can take an adjustable wrench to bend it back. With both of these options you have to take your time and do it in small incriments

yeap. the only way i can think youd get it exaclty flat is heat it up real good and then press it between 2 flat sheets of steel but then youll probly ruin the temper of it and make it too soft or ahrd and it wont work like it should.. id call up the people and ask them if theyd replace it without having to send it all back

otherwise if its not bad you might be able to get it straight enough to use like upontwo said, i bent my hayes wavy disc a little, managed to bend it abck enough, it dosnt rub but then it was only a slight bend

probob said:
i,ve just bought a new bike from mail order company ( scott nitrous 30 2004) and the rear disc rotor seems to be slightly bent. is there a way to unbend it. the problem with the mail order is i've got to send it back for it to be fixed under warranty, which is more expensive that just buying a new rotor
solved this problem on my bike by closing the disk in a couple of large engineers vice's.