Bent fork dropout

Fred

Guest
My wife droped her bike with the front wheel off. One of the fork dropouts
was bent so that the front axle would no longer fit in. I took a large
screwdriver and bent it back to match the spacing of the other side.

Everything seems fine functionally now. Is this safe?

Fred wrote:
> My wife droped her bike with the front wheel off. One of the fork
> dropouts was bent so that the front axle would no longer fit in. I
> took a large screwdriver and bent it back to match the spacing of the
> other side.
>
> Everything seems fine functionally now. Is this safe?

How much do you love your wife? Got dental insurance?? Do-it-yourself nose
job???

At the very least, have a competent bike shop evaluate it...now.

Bill "good news is, the screwdriver's probably still sound" S.

Fred wrote:
> My wife droped her bike with the front wheel off. One of the fork dropouts
> was bent so that the front axle would no longer fit in. I took a large
> screwdriver and bent it back to match the spacing of the other side.
>
> Everything seems fine functionally now. Is this safe?

Steel? I would still have a competent bike shop look at it. Aluminum? I
would replace the fork...

> Fred wrote:
> > My wife droped her bike with the front wheel off. One of the fork

dropouts
> > was bent so that the front axle would no longer fit in. I took a large
> > screwdriver and bent it back to match the spacing of the other side.
> >
> > Everything seems fine functionally now. Is this safe?

> Steel? I would still have a competent bike shop look at it. Aluminum? I
> would replace the fork...

It's steel. What would they look for? Looking at it you can't see that
anything ever happened.

Fred wrote:

> It's steel. What would they look for? Looking at it you can't see that
> anything ever happened.

I also doubt even a competent bike shop would be able to assess how
work-hardened the steel was. Either get a new fork or get new dropouts
brazed on (they usually have to be done as a pair to get a perfect
match). This would cost 45UKP over here, plus something for the respray
unless you do that bit yourself. New carbon forks are a similar price.

Fred wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Fred wrote:
> > > My wife droped her bike with the front wheel off. One of the fork

> dropouts
> > > was bent so that the front axle would no longer fit in. I took a large
> > > screwdriver and bent it back to match the spacing of the other side.
> > >
> > > Everything seems fine functionally now. Is this safe?

> > Steel? I would still have a competent bike shop look at it. Aluminum? I
> > would replace the fork...
> >

> It's steel. What would they look for? Looking at it you can't see that
> anything ever happened.

I'd have them put the alignment tools onto it to make sure the ends are
aligned, other than that, no cracks, etc. I have straightened many
steel dropouts w/o any problems at all.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Fred wrote:
>
> > It's steel. What would they look for? Looking at it you can't see that
> > anything ever happened.

> I also doubt even a competent bike shop would be able to assess how
> work-hardened the steel was. Either get a new fork or get new dropouts
> brazed on (they usually have to be done as a pair to get a perfect
> match). This would cost 45UKP over here, plus something for the respray
> unless you do that bit yourself. New carbon forks are a similar price.

Disagree. For such a small bend, I would just straighten and ride. No
need to weld in any new dropouts. Steel is wonderful in this regard.

On 2005-07-15, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

> My wife droped her bike with the front wheel off. One of the fork dropouts
> was bent so that the front axle would no longer fit in. I took a large
> screwdriver and bent it back to match the spacing of the other side.
>
> Everything seems fine functionally now. Is this safe?

Steel forks, or something else? Steel is very forgiving; the dropouts are
deliberately made from a soft, malleable alloy to allow this type of
repair. You may want to have a shop look at the alignment, however, as
misaligned dropouts can be tough on hub bearings.

If it's not steel, all bets are off. Take it to a shop for them to
evaluate and probably replace.

--

John ([email protected])