Bent Fork Dropout

lemond

Nov 3, 2003
As I was taking my road bike of the roof rack this weekend, the front fork got "caught" and bent the dropout. The bend was kind of a twisting/spreading deal. I used some vice-grips to bend back mostly into shape after much cussing, but am now concerned about the stability of the fork. It is an Icon carbon fiber fork with bonded aluminum dropouts. I know aluminum can lose strength if it is bent, so the question is am I risking certain death, or at least severe road rash by not replacing the fork?

Many thanks for the help!

Originally posted by lemond
As I was taking my road bike of the roof rack this weekend, the front fork got "caught" and bent the dropout. The bend was kind of a twisting/spreading deal. I used some vice-grips to bend back mostly into shape after much cussing, but am now concerned about the stability of the fork. It is an Icon carbon fiber fork with bonded aluminum dropouts. I know aluminum can lose strength if it is bent, so the question is am I risking certain death, or at least severe road rash by not replacing the fork?

Many thanks for the help!
I'd toss it. There are plenty of deals on replacement forks you don't have to worry about.