Bent Front Skewer

klanda20

Oct 13, 2006
To make a long story short when I was taking my front tire off I had a little incident with dropping my front skewer in the middle of the road and it got run over and bent. Surprisingly the bend is very minor.

The next time I road I felt like the ride I did (done the same ride many times) was a little more difficult.

Could the slight bend in the skewer have an effect on the rotation of my front tire???

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

You should probably get a new skewer. I don't know if a bent skewer would necessarily affect performance, but you definitely have to think that it is not nearly as strong as an unbent skewer. When you compare the cost of replacing a bent skewer versus the costs of potentially having an accident, I'd say the answer is crystal clear.

klanda20 said:
To make a long story short when I was taking my front tire off I had a little incident with dropping my front skewer in the middle of the road and it got run over and bent. Surprisingly the bend is very minor.

The next time I road I felt like the ride I did (done the same ride many times) was a little more difficult.

Could the slight bend in the skewer have an effect on the rotation of my front tire???

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

klanda20 said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
A bent skewer will effectively shorten it, and if you left the nut in the same position, it would increase the clamping force. However, if your hub is properly adjusted, it wouldn't increase the bearing drag. I suppose that it might be able to slightly distort the axle alignment, but again I don't imagine it would be percerptable in increased drag.
If it were my QR skewer, I would replace it for my own peace of mind.