Bent News: Power On Cycling, Wiz Wheelz, Groundhugger

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Cycle America/N, Jan 24, 2003.

  1. [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for
    details. ]]

    - After successfully filling the gap for hard to find recumbent parts left vacant by first
    Cyclopedia and then HPV Supply, Mark Power wasted no time taking his mail order business to a
    whole new level as soon as he retired from the Air Force (25 years!!) this last summer. In the
    Tampa FL area, he opened up a shop for Power On Cycling http://www.PowerOnCycling.com where he is
    now also an official dealer for Rans, Burley, HP Veloteknik, Challenge, M-5 and Easy Racer. In
    addition, he recently purchased the rights to the Swanson hard shell seat pictured at
    http://www.PowerOnCycling.com/RECUMBENT%20SEATS.htm. The homebuilder's dream, these seats are
    available in fiberglass and carbon fiber.

    Having watched the traffic to his site grow and grow, I know his outstanding success has been all
    about service. I am excited to see what his shop will do. And it is toward that end, that recumbents
    are that much more 'power'fully visible for everyone!!

    -Wiz Wheelz http://wizwheelz.com just announced that they are cutting the price on their Terra Trike
    by a whopping $500!! Now you can find yourself in possession their new 3.4 tadpole trike for $1899

    Also at their site you can find out about author Dan Price who is riding one of their trikes from
    Oregon to Florida! He is more than half way across America!!

    - Just got email from Stu Briber. He built one of Robert Q Riley's carbon fiber Groundhugger kit
    bikes!! Looks pretty sweet as per this photo http://rqriley.com/imagespln/briber.jpg And he posted
    to say it already has a thousand miles on it and that he wants to come to one of our SCRUBB rides
    http://www.bikeroute.com/SCRUBB here in Santa Cruz

    Yahooo!!!!!!

    M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, Attacking with
    Love Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor '79 & '86 TransAm Vet - Invites you to:
    http://www.BikeRoute.com/SCNBGFest N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y

    Tags:

  2. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    > -Wiz Wheelz http://wizwheelz.com just announced that they are cutting the price on their Terra
    > Trike by a whopping $500!! Now you can find yourself in possession their new 3.4 tadpole trike
    > for $1899

    It's happening: The 2003 price war in the US tadpole trike market!

    I hope this drives sales like I think it will. The new sub-$2000 Catrike was already on my radar.
    Now I'm thinking seriously about the Terra Trike. I believe the sales floodgates will open when they
    hit the $1,500 mark (if that is possible). We just saw disc brakes on most of these trikes a year
    ago - now this! It's making it harder to justify a $5,000+ Trice Micro or $4,000 Windcheetah when
    you can get a Terra Trike for $1,899, made in the USA.

    Best of luck to all contenders. Keep up the excellent work.

    -Barry

  3. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    the price war should escalate when Sun offers the aluminum, lower seat, cambered wheel, higher
    performance trike come this late spring.

  4. "B. Sanders" <[email protected]org> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > -Wiz Wheelz http://wizwheelz.com just announced that they are cutting the price on their Terra
    > > Trike by a whopping $500!! Now you can find yourself in possession their new 3.4 tadpole trike
    > > for $1899
    >
    > It's happening: The 2003 price war in the US tadpole trike market!
    >
    > I hope this drives sales like I think it will. The new sub-$2000 Catrike was already on my radar.
    > Now I'm thinking seriously about the Terra Trike. I believe the sales floodgates will open when
    > they hit the $1,500 mark (if that is possible). We just saw disc brakes on most of these trikes a
    > year ago - now this! It's making it harder to justify a $5,000+ Trice Micro or $4,000 Windcheetah
    > when you can get a Terra Trike for $1,899, made in the USA.
    >
    > Best of luck to all contenders. Keep up the excellent work.
    >
    > -Barry

    I just got a TerraTrike. After tipping several times a day on my older trikes, I have not lifted one
    wheel yet on my TT. I cannot praise that design enough!!!

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    "B. Sanders" wrote:

    > > -Wiz Wheelz http://wizwheelz.com just announced that they are cutting the price on their Terra
    > > Trike by a whopping $500!! Now you can find yourself in possession their new 3.4 tadpole trike
    > > for $1899
    >
    > It's happening: The 2003 price war in the US tadpole trike market!
    >
    > I hope this drives sales like I think it will. The new sub-$2000 Catrike was already on my radar.
    > Now I'm thinking seriously about the Terra Trike. I believe the sales floodgates will open when
    > they hit the $1,500 mark (if that is possible). We just saw disc brakes on most of these trikes a
    > year ago - now this! It's making it harder to justify a $5,000+ Trice Micro or $4,000 Windcheetah
    > when you can get a Terra Trike for $1,899, made in the USA.
    >
    > Best of luck to all contenders. Keep up the excellent work.

    Now if only the manufacturers can put Phil Wood disc brake hubs on their trikes for that price. <
    ftp://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df13.jpg >

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  6. [email protected] (BentHeadSWB) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Now if only the manufacturers can put Phil Wood disc brake hubs on their trikes for that price.
    >
    > I love my Phil front hub, it would be outstanding to have the disc hubs on a trike. Alas, the
    > price of those puppies is rather steep... I would not hold my breath!
    >
    > John H N TX

    Huh? Disc brakes have been on some trikes for years! WizWheelz began last year, I believe. But I
    guess, when advertisements such as the Trikee ad shows up, people assume all trikes are like that
    and not needing serious brakes. About the Phil Woods; I have 3 of them on an old trike. expensive?
    Surprise to me!

    Chris Jordan

  7. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "BentHeadSWB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Now if only the manufacturers can put Phil Wood disc brake hubs on their trikes for that price

    Not necessary. Phil hubs are beautiful (my trike has them non-disc Phil hubs); but the truth is that
    the only way to build affordable trikes is to locate inexpensive parts. The emergence of affordable,
    even cheap, disc brakes and trike hubs is one of the reasons we're seeing this price war right now:
    They can actually afford to drop the prices to this level, perhaps even a bit more.

    I think this is great. Price wars are usually evidence of popularity and [the beginnings of] mass
    adoption of a technology. It happened like this for personal computers, for instance. Trikes have a
    lot of appeal for our aging, fitness-conscious population. I see trike sales really taking off this
    year, despite the downturn in the economy. Let's hope that I'm right.

    -Barry

  8. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > the price war should escalate when Sun offers the aluminum, lower seat, cambered wheel, higher
    > performance trike come this late spring.

    ??!!! Please, tell me more. Any links to information about this new trike? Sounds like a winner.

    -Barry

  9. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Christopher Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > -Wiz Wheelz http://wizwheelz.com just announced that they are cutting the price on their Terra
    > > > Trike by a whopping $500!! Now you can find yourself in possession their new 3.4 tadpole trike
    > > > for $1899
    > >
    > > It's happening: The 2003 price war in the US tadpole trike market!
    > >
    > > I hope this drives sales like I think it will. The new sub-$2000
    Catrike
    > > was already on my radar. Now I'm thinking seriously about the Terra
    Trike.
    > > I believe the sales floodgates will open when they hit the $1,500 mark
    (if
    > > that is possible). We just saw disc brakes on most of these trikes a
    year
    > > ago - now this! It's making it harder to justify a $5,000+ Trice Micro
    or
    > > $4,000 Windcheetah when you can get a Terra Trike for $1,899, made in
    the
    > > USA.
    > >
    > > Best of luck to all contenders. Keep up the excellent work.
    > >
    > > -Barry
    >
    > I just got a TerraTrike. After tipping several times a day on my older trikes, I have not lifted
    > one wheel yet on my TT. I cannot praise that design enough!!!
    >
    > Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

    Coming from a trike collector like you, Chris, that is high praise indeed. I look to you for
    expertise on which design to choose, since you must have owned and ridden more designs than the vast
    majority of us.

    Have a ball on that new Terra Trike,

    Barry

  10. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Christopher Jordan wrote:

    > [email protected] (BentHeadSWB) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >Now if only the manufacturers can put Phil Wood disc brake hubs on their trikes for that price.
    > >
    > > I love my Phil front hub, it would be outstanding to have the disc hubs on a trike. Alas, the
    > > price of those puppies is rather steep... I would not hold my breath!
    > >
    > > John H N TX
    >
    > Huh? Disc brakes have been on some trikes for years! WizWheelz began last year, I believe. But I
    > guess, when advertisements such as the Trikee ad shows up, people assume all trikes are like that
    > and not needing serious brakes. About the Phil Woods; I have 3 of them on an old trike. expensive?
    > Surprise to me!

    The Phil Wood single-sided disc brake hub pictured in the link [1] was made to order for Earth
    Cycles. Considering the total production of Dragonflyers with disc brakes (earlier models used drum
    brakes), I would estimate that less than 200 of these hubs were made. Considering the prices [2] for
    Phil Wood MTB disc brake hubs, the Earth Cycles hub must have been VERY expensive.

    [1] < ftp://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df13.jpg >
    [2] < http://www.philwood.com/catolog2/page1.htm >

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  11. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    it was "rumored on BROL" but Easyracers have confirmed it.