'bent on eBay: Challenge Mistral SWB OSS

Simon Brooke

Guest
Once again, not mine. If anyone's getting tired of these announcements,
just say so and I'll stop them.

<URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3688496477>

This one is nicely kitted out, with Schmidt hub dyno, Busch & Muller
lights, hydraulic discs, side pannier racks (but, wierdly, cheapo flat
pedals!).

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:05:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Once again, not mine. If anyone's getting tired of these announcements,
> just say so and I'll stop them.

Please keep posting them. I don't always have time to check out ebay
regularly so the occasional post for the less mainstream stuff is welcome.

Colin

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:09:11 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:05:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Once again, not mine. If anyone's getting tired of these announcements,
>> just say so and I'll stop them.

> Please keep posting them. I don't always have time to check out ebay
> regularly so the occasional post for the less mainstream stuff is welcome.

I thought you were building your own 'bent, Colin.

Any news on how it's going?

Kit

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:29:13 +0100, kit <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:09:11 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:
>> Please keep posting them. I don't always have time to check out ebay
>> regularly so the occasional post for the less mainstream stuff is
>> welcome.

> I thought you were building your own 'bent, Colin.

I am/have unfortunately running great distances and maintaining diesel
generators has kept getting in the way :(

> Any news on how it's going?

It is finished bar the front derailleur. It's been in this state for a
while now. I have, just last week, got hold of a couple of bits from SJS
that will clamp the cable and provide a stop for the cable (the changer
pulls from above which was the awkward bit) but I haven't had time to fit
them.

This weekend I'm doing an urban adventure race in Edinburgh, next weekend
I'm lining the old coal shed to take the electrics for our new wind and
solar system, the weekend after that...

Work gets in the way of life!

Colin

in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:29:13 +0100, kit <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:09:11 +0100, Colin Blackburn wrote:
>>> Please keep posting them. I don't always have time to check out ebay
>>> regularly so the occasional post for the less mainstream stuff is
>>> welcome.

>> I thought you were building your own 'bent, Colin.

> I am/have unfortunately running great distances and maintaining diesel
> generators has kept getting in the way :(
>
>> Any news on how it's going?

> It is finished bar the front derailleur.

GIF?

See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Simon
Brooke <[email protected]> breathed:

>Once again, not mine. If anyone's getting tired of these announcements,
>just say so and I'll stop them.

Please go on posting them - I've learned a lot about recumbents from
looking at these auctions, and reading follow-up comments here.

><URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3688496477>

That is a truly beautiful machine, I just wish I had 850 quid kicking
about spare. <drool, drool...> :)

>This one is nicely kitted out, with Schmidt hub dyno, Busch & Muller
>lights, hydraulic discs, side pannier racks (but, wierdly, cheapo flat
>pedals!).

Flat as opposed to what? Is this a reference to clips (which I
personally hate but I suspect that's probably a heresy like the plastic
hat one round here <g>), or something else?

--
- Pyromancer.
- http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:09:34 GMT, Graeme <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:eek:[email protected]:
>
>> next weekend
>> I'm lining the old coal shed to take the electrics for our new wind and
>> solar system

> Sounds interesting. Tell us more...

We live off-grid. Using a couple of government grants and a lot of our own
money we are moving to a more modern wind and solar system rather than
getting mains electricity brought in---the costs are comparable though the
mains would spoil the landscape more and the mains goes down every winter
for a week or two so we'd still need off-grid backup. To save a few
pennies here and there we are doing some of the civil works ourselves.
First stage is lining the old coal shed so that the batteries, inverter,
charge controllers, and various other bits can go in there.

The upside for cycling is that I will need a decent SDS drill for some of
the works which means I will be able to fit a couple of 'in-concrete'
Sheffield stands in the workshop later on.

Colin

Simon Brooke wrote:

> This one is nicely kitted out, with Schmidt hub dyno, Busch & Muller
> lights, hydraulic discs, side pannier racks (but, wierdly, cheapo flat
> pedals!).

Not that odd: many 'bents come with fairly so-so flat pedals so they
work straight out of the shop, but most owners will use clipless and
transfer them if the bike is sold on as a new owner will quite possibly
use something else. I'd certainly remove the ATACs from mine and put on
Any Old Things from the shed if I sent mine on.

(But I won't be selling it on... spent last week doing 300 miles of
assorted NCN1 from Aberdeen to Thurso and it was comfy and wonderful
from start to finish with full touring load.)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> writes:

>(But I won't be selling it on... spent last week doing 300 miles of
>assorted NCN1 from Aberdeen to Thurso and it was comfy and wonderful
>from start to finish with full touring load.)

I was expecting a somewhat more wordy report from you about it!

Roos - not selling the Fiero either and it was comfy and wonderful from
start almost to finish ;)

Just be careful with Ebay. In Richardson Texas a bike store called "Wheels in Motion" had it's complete line of high end road bikes taken. Luckily two days later the detectives raided a guys house and recovered about $100,000 of stolen bikes that he was selling on Ebay. Some of the pictures he had put on ebay were the actual ones the suspect took while in the store shopping.:D Brands were Cannondale and Trek. Just FYI. Ride on...

Roos Eisma wrote:

> I was expecting a somewhat more wordy report from you about it!

And the bad news is there'll be a longer TR, but I'm waiting for (a)
some spare moments to do it along with the map and (b) the jpegs,
without which it'll probably need to be retracted.

Executive Summary: On our holidays we rode our bikes a lot and we ate
lots of cakes and we had a very nice time and we saw the sea and wind is
much nicer if you aren't riding into it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

in message <[email protected]>, Roos Eisma
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Peter Clinch <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>(But I won't be selling it on... spent last week doing 300 miles of
>>assorted NCN1 from Aberdeen to Thurso and it was comfy and wonderful
>>from start to finish with full touring load.)

> I was expecting a somewhat more wordy report from you about it!
>
> Roos - not selling the Fiero either and it was comfy and wonderful
> from start almost to finish ;)

'almost'?

Windows 95:
You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
M. Jagger/K. Richards

Simon Brooke wrote:

>>Roos - not selling the Fiero either and it was comfy and wonderful
>>from start almost to finish ;)

> 'almost'?

Roos had an achilles problem develop on the last day, from Tongue to
Thurso. Difficult to apportion blame accurately to a particular thing,
may have been bike, SPuD sandals first long outing, total distance
anyway, lack of a 'P' in the month, etc. etc., but to try and relieve
things we swapped bikes for the final few miles: mine is set up shorter,
as I'm, errrr, shorter, so less stretching through the pedal cycle for
Roos on mine, and I had to slouch a bit and give the hamstrings a bit of
a stretch on the Fiero. We could have reset the boom length on the
Fiero but it seemed a bit of a faff with only a few miles left and
easier to just swap bikes.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:20:39 +0100,
Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>>>Roos - not selling the Fiero either and it was comfy and wonderful
>>>from start almost to finish ;)

>> 'almost'?

> anyway, lack of a 'P' in the month, etc. etc.,

But I thought we had already established the body doesn't reabsorb
the liquid once it gets to the bladder.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Roos had an achilles problem develop on the last day, from Tongue to
> Thurso. Difficult to apportion blame accurately to a particular thing,
> may have been bike, SPuD sandals first long outing, total distance
> anyway, lack of a 'P' in the month, etc. etc.,

I had that on my first recumbent century. I put it down to riding a
long distance in SPD sandals. With the sandals hanging from the pedals,
when I wasn't pedalling the weight of my leg was resting at one point on
the sandal strap, and that's where it started to hurt.

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes:

>Peter Clinch wrote:
>> Roos had an achilles problem develop on the last day, from Tongue to
>> Thurso. Difficult to apportion blame accurately to a particular thing,
>> may have been bike, SPuD sandals first long outing, total distance
>> anyway, lack of a 'P' in the month, etc. etc.,

>I had that on my first recumbent century. I put it down to riding a
>long distance in SPD sandals. With the sandals hanging from the pedals,
>when I wasn't pedalling the weight of my leg was resting at one point on
>the sandal strap, and that's where it started to hurt.

Seems likely. A bit of searching through the injuries section of the
Runnersworld website gave the best match with achilles peritendinitis, an
inflammation of the surrounding of the tendon rather than the tendon
itself, possibly caused by friction between shoe and tendon. So the sandal
moving with the skin over the tendon with the pressure at that one point
may very well be it.
It only started on the last day, which should have been a rest day as I
was rather stiff and tired from the 2 long days before, and that last day
happened to have all those coastal steep climbs which I couldn't really
manage so I probably overdid it a bit there...

How did you treat it and what happened? I have been icing it and using
ibuprofen gel/tablets, and will take it easy but with gentle moving and
stretching.

Roos

Roos Eisma asked (of Achilles tendon pain):
> How did you treat it and what happened? I have been icing it and using
> ibuprofen gel/tablets, and will take it easy but with gentle moving and
> stretching.

I'd already booked the following 3 days off work, so I stayed off the
bike and I took as much of my weight as possible on the banister when I
had to do stairs. I also did some gentle stretching. It was fine after
a couple of days, hopefully yours will be too.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> After riding how far?

100 miles, but that was coincidental to my having booked time off work.