'bent on eBay: Challenge Taifun SWB OSS - very slinky

Simon Brooke

Guest
Once again, not mine. I might even put a bid on this one, even though
it's OSS which doesn't really appeal. It's gorgeously low and slinky...

<URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3685348608>

Morning had broken, and we had run out of gas for the welding torch.

> Once again, not mine. I might even put a bid on this one, even though
> it's OSS which doesn't really appeal. It's gorgeously low and slinky...
>
> <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3685348608>
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> Morning had broken, and we had run out of gas for the welding

torch.

Can someone tell me what the pleasure is lying on your back riding a cycle?.
I think I would feel so vulnerable.

Rory

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:18:10 +0100, Rodders wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Once again, not mine. I might even put a bid on this one, even though
>> it's OSS which doesn't really appeal. It's gorgeously low and slinky...
>>
>> <URL:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3685348608>
>>
>> --
>> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>>
>> Morning had broken, and we had run out of gas for the welding

> torch.
>>

> Can someone tell me what the pleasure is lying on your back riding a cycle?.
> I think I would feel so vulnerable.

The Taifun in the picture is very low - my recumbent is much higher and
I'm no lower than racing cyclists in a tuck.

Recumbents can be very comfortable over long distances. I have no idea why
they are also fun to ride, but that is my experience.

AC

"Learn to ride a recumbent. You will not regret it, if you live."

Rodders wrote:

> Can someone tell me what the pleasure is lying on your back riding a
> cycle?. I think I would feel so vulnerable.
>
> Rory

I once heard a radio DJ describe recumbant riders as looking like "an
intellectual making a statement".
Apart from that it would seem to be the most efficient way of applying
muscle power to the pedals.
Never ridden one myself, I think its the useability factor holding me back.
If I ever had to commute say 10km every day including a long stretch without
junctions I would definitely consider one. If the opportunity presents
itself I would like to try one.

--

Geoff

<[email protected]>:

>Can someone tell me what the pleasure is lying on your back riding a cycle?.
>I think I would feel so vulnerable.

It's like this: after an hour or so in the saddle on a wedgie, your
**** starts to hurt (or maybe go numb), your wrists start to ache,
your back begins to set, your neck starts to cramp and your shoulders
begine a dull ache. After 100 miles all these are magnified.

On a recumbent, you start off sitting comfortably on a nice, wide
padded seat, with no weight on your arms or shoulders, and the neck
bent slightly forwards, a direction it naturally prefers. A hundred
miles later the seat is still comfortable, the hands are free from
tingles, the shoulders are still relaxed, the neck is free of kinks -
and you are still going faster on the flat due to lower wind
resistance.

The real question is: what is the pleasure in riding an upwrong? ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
you know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:18:10 +0100, "Rodders"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>Can someone tell me what the pleasure is lying on your back riding a
>>cycle?. I think I would feel so vulnerable.

> On a recumbent, you start off sitting comfortably on a nice, wide
> padded seat,

Not on this one, you're not. On this one you're definitely lounging on a
nice comfortable bed. Like I say, _very_ slinky.

;; this is not a .sig

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> A hundred
> miles later the seat is still comfortable, the hands are free from
> tingles, the shoulders are still relaxed, the neck is free of kinks -
> and you are still going faster on the flat due to lower wind
> resistance.

....and your back is saturated with sweat where its against the seat ;-)

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:
> ....and your back is saturated with sweat where its against the seat ;-)

That very much depends on the seat. It certainly doesn't happen with an
HPVelotechnik Airflow seat cushion.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:50:28 +0100, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]>:

>...and your back is saturated with sweat where its against the seat ;-)

Whassat you say? Your back stays nice and warm on the seat?
Certainly does :)

Rodders wrote:

> Can someone tell me what the pleasure is lying on your back riding a cycle?.

Parker Knoll seem to have been making a decent living for themselves
making reclining chairs that appeal to people with their obvious comfort
for a good long while now. For some reason many riders of
conventional upright bikes don't make a connection between comfort on a
bike and comfort in any other form of seating for anything. I don't
know why...

Aside from taking your weight along your whole back rather than on a
combination of sit bones and arms, another advantage is the default view
tends to be where you're going rather than the road just in front of the
front wheel, so despite being lower down you often tend to see more.
There are levels of wall and hedge where you'll see less, granted, but
where they're a bit lower you don't have to make any special effort to
look up and over them like you do on drop bars.

> I think I would feel so vulnerable.

So I'm often told, but so I don't particularly feel. First, note there
are different values of low. Mine's a tourer and my seat puts my head
at about car driver's level. So though people tell me I must feel very
vulnerable "down there", in that case "down there" is right where they
often are themselves. And where I get much better eye contact with
motorists compared to one of my uprights.
The Taifun is quite a bit lower than that, but still no need to feel any
more vulnerable than on anything else. People can see cats running
across the road in front of their vehicles, so they'll hardly miss a
recumbent bike by literally overlooking it. People don't see bikes when
they don't look at all, not when they look over the top of recumbents.

None of the regular 'bent riders here have reported feeling like they're
overlooked more than on an upright. Generally the opposite. So never
mind the FUD, give one a try and see how it feels. I found my arms,
neck and wrists weren't sore after 100 km so I'm not going back to road
touring on uprights now. Being comfortable takes away some ****les that
can dent the fun of riding upright.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Once again, not mine. I might even put a bid on this one, even though
> it's OSS which doesn't really appeal. It's gorgeously low and slinky...

OSS makes better sense on this sort of bike 'cause it gives better aero
and this sort of thing is designed to go /fast/. Though folk describe
USS as "more comfortable" I think "more relaxed" is a better
description. The actual comfort level on OSS bars is similar to a car
steering wheel, with no actual weight bearing on your hands.

Note that although the blurb describes it as a lowracer it isn't
actually /quite/ that low, the Jester being Challenge's "proper"
lowracer. But it's still pretty low and should cut quite a dash into a
headwind!

I think the Taifun is one of the best looking bikes there is.
Unfortunately my previous encounter with Challenge's seat wasn't a Big
Wow for me compared to Optima/HPVel's. Could be that the different
Angle of Dangle would make it work better on the Taifun for me, though I
can't be sure, of course... But note that comfy for my physiology
doesn't necessarily mean much for anyone else's.

The Taifun has been sufficiently successful that Challenge have
developed a slightly different version, The Fujin, which has a 26" rear
wheel and full suspension. Taifun and Fujin would definitely be on my
audition list if I get a Hot 'Bent at some point in the future. I might
have been tempted to bid on this one if I didn't have other projects for
money right now (skylight replacement, open canoe, etc. etc.).

Pete x.
--

Tony Raven wrote:

> ...and your back is saturated with sweat where its against the seat
> ;-)

Ah, but as a Wise Man[1] once said, "No-one ever had to take a day off work
because their back was /sweaty/"

1 - Mr. M. Burrows.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> Ah, but as a Wise Man[1] once said, "No-one ever had to take a day off work
> because their back was /sweaty/"
>
> 1 - Mr. M. Burrows.

The same wise man has a wonderful retort for the "Don't you feel
vunerable down there?" question;

"Don't you feel vunerable up there? It's a long way to fall!"

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:

> The same wise man has a wonderful retort for the "Don't you feel
> vunerable down there?" question;
>
> "Don't you feel vunerable up there? It's a long way to fall!"

Mine is "don't you feel at risk on a machine where the act of sharp
braking has a tendency to throw you over the handlebars and send you
head first towards the ground?" And of course people don't, because
they're used to the braking characteristics and account for them, same
way as 'bent riders will be used to their riding positions.
I'm quite sure if 'bents had world domination then anyone wanting to
ride one of those unusual upright bikes would be hounded for being on a
clearly unsafe (for which read "unfamiliar") machine.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch [email protected] opined the following...
> Jon Senior wrote:
>
> > The same wise man has a wonderful retort for the "Don't you feel
> > vunerable down there?" question;
> >
> > "Don't you feel vunerable up there? It's a long way to fall!"

> Mine is "don't you feel at risk on a machine where the act of sharp
> braking has a tendency to throw you over the handlebars and send you
> head first towards the ground?"

Doesn't quite trip off the tongue though. It was in response to him (And
the Ratcatcher) being the only recumbent on a CTC day ride. The ride in
question apparently also averaged 19.5mph which didn't strike anyone as
very CTC!

> And of course people don't, because
> they're used to the braking characteristics and account for them,

Although the popular myth about not using the front brake suggests that
many people are not used to their bike, and do go over the handlebars!

Jon

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Mine is "don't you feel at risk on a machine where the act of sharp
> braking has a tendency to throw you over the handlebars and send you
> head first towards the ground?" And of course people don't..

I do, on the odd occasion that I have to ride a wedgie.