bent one, car zero

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joshua Goldberg, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Well today I got hit by a car...yawn. The bent survived without a scratch, my body OTOH made a nice
    big dent in the back rightside of a fairly new Korean car. Passenger and driver (both female) get
    out and beg forgiveness....had it been a male driver I would have in2 psycho mode. (trust me..I know
    how). I was in a rush and just wrote it off as another driving hazzard. My left shoulder, arm and
    hip hurt re: what caused the dent, but my jaw hurts too, which confused me since my head didn't hit
    the car, I was also dizzy for a few hours, but that went away....maybe it was the sudden jolt of
    coming to a dead stop suddenly. What caused the accident was the woman doing a U-Turn on a narrow
    street and she ran out of street and threw the car in reverse to try the turn again just as I rode
    passed the back of her car. Odd feeling getting whacked from the side, usually I just get hit from
    the front or rear. This is also the 1st time everyone seemed more concerned about how I was
    doing...usually people are asking about the bent or checking their car for damages while I'm laying
    on the road and being ignored. I am an excellent cyclist surrounded by car drivers who are lost in
    space....ah the joys of urban riding in winter.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > ... This is also the 1st time everyone seemed more concerned about how I was doing...usually
    > people are asking about the bent or checking their car for damages while I'm laying on the road
    > and being ignored....

    Joshua,

    My first concern would be to check the bike for damage - one does has to have one's priorities
    in order. ;)

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  3. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > ...I am an excellent cyclist surrounded by car drivers who are lost in space....

    Glad to hear you weren't hurt, but this reminds me of an 'urban legend' survey in which 75% of car
    drivers rated themselves as "above average" in driving skills. You don't see anything wrong with
    passing a car which was in the process of a Y-turn?

  4. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Good to hear you're OK. I mean, if you're sure you *are* OK.

    --
    --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

    > Well today I got hit by a car...yawn. The bent survived without a scratch, my body OTOH made a
    > nice big dent in the back rightside of a fairly new Korean car. Passenger and driver (both female)
    > get out and beg forgiveness....had it been a male driver I would have in2 psycho mode. (trust
    > me..I know how). I was in a rush and just wrote it off as another driving hazzard. My left
    > shoulder, arm and hip hurt re: what caused the dent, but my jaw hurts too, which confused me since
    > my head didn't hit the car, I was also dizzy for a few hours, but that went away....maybe it was
    > the sudden jolt of coming to
    > dead stop suddenly. What caused the accident was the woman doing a U-Turn on a narrow street
    and
    > she ran out of street and threw the car in reverse to try the turn again just as I rode passed the
    > back of her car. Odd feeling getting whacked
    from
    > the side, usually I just get hit from the front or rear. This is also the 1st time everyone seemed
    > more concerned about how I was doing...usually people are asking about the bent or checking their
    > car for damages while
    I'm
    > laying on the road and being ignored. I am an excellent cyclist surrounded by car drivers who are
    > lost in space....ah the joys of urban riding in winter.

  5. No really...I am a very good cyclist who is approaching a 1/4 million miles riding and I'm still
    alive (my sanity is however in question). Oh Yeah...on bents my total distance is a mere 86,000
    miles. All of my riding has been in a city core and the fact I am still alive and not eating through
    a straw means I am a good cyclist. On every ride I do, I figure I have at (least) 5 near death
    experiences daily. These are accidents that I manage to avoid via my riding experience. On any given
    ride I clip at least 2 car door mirrors with my arm or shoulder, I have so many scratches on my
    Mirror the black shell color is gone. As someone pointed out here I seem to like riding through
    Excavations (true), but I also ride in places few cyclists would dare ride and I floor it at the
    oddest times..gotta keep the car drivers guessing. Oh Yeah...I do NOT ride in the curb lane, I ride
    with the cars in their lane, but sometimes I have to take to the curb/kerb lanes in fast traffic.

    Oh Yeah...there are some days I am terrified of riding in the city core and simply won't ride that
    day. Kind of a bad feeling/Vibe/premonition...whatever, but I know that if I ignore my gut
    feeling....I'll end up in a wheelchair or coffin....and so far it has worked.
    ----------------------
    "John Foltz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > > ...I am an excellent cyclist surrounded by car drivers who are lost in space....
    > >
    > Glad to hear you weren't hurt, but this reminds me of an 'urban legend' survey in which 75% of car
    > drivers rated themselves as "above average" in driving skills. You don't see anything wrong with
    > passing a car which was in the process of a Y-turn?
    > --
    >
    > John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
    > _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

  6. Steve In Sc

    Steve In Sc Guest

    > > Passenger and driver (both female) get out and beg forgiveness....had it been a male driver I
    > > would have in2 psycho mode.

    I find it interesting that you respond to an accident based on the sex of the driver and passenger.
    If it's a female forget about it. But if it's a male try to initiate a street fight. Absolutely
    brilliant. You should write a book.

  7. the book is in progress and..as for trying to initiate a street fight being Brilliant
    (thankyou)....good that we both agree that this is what REAL men
    do.
    ------------------------------
    "Steve in SC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > > Passenger and driver (both female) get out and beg forgiveness....had
    it
    > > > been a male driver I would have in2 psycho mode.
    >
    > I find it interesting that you respond to an accident based on the sex of the driver and
    > passenger. If it's a female forget about it. But if it's a male try to initiate a street fight.
    > Absolutely brilliant. You should write a book.

  8. Von

    Von Guest

    > No really...I am a very good cyclist who is approaching a 1/4 million miles riding and I'm still
    > alive (my sanity is however in question). Oh Yeah...on bents my total distance is a mere 86,000
    > miles. All of my riding has been in a city core and the fact I am still alive and not eating
    > through a straw means I am a good cyclist. On every ride I do, I figure I have at (least) 5 near
    > death experiences daily. These are accidents that I manage to avoid via my riding experience. On
    > any given ride I clip at least 2 car door mirrors with my arm or shoulder, I have so many
    > scratches on my Mirror the black shell color is gone. As someone pointed out here I seem to like
    > riding through Excavations (true), but I also ride in places few cyclists would dare ride and I
    > floor it at the oddest times..gotta keep the car drivers guessing. Oh Yeah...I do NOT ride in the
    > curb lane, I ride with the cars in their lane, but sometimes I have to take to the curb/kerb lanes
    > in fast traffic.
    >
    > Oh Yeah...there are some days I am terrified of riding in the city core and simply won't ride that
    > day. Kind of a bad feeling/Vibe/premonition...whatever, but I know that if I ignore my gut
    > feeling....I'll end up in a wheelchair or coffin....and so far it has worked.
    > ----------------------
    > "John Foltz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > > > ...I am an excellent cyclist surrounded by car drivers who are lost in space....
    > > >
    > > Glad to hear you weren't hurt, but this reminds me of an 'urban legend' survey in which 75% of
    > > car drivers rated themselves as "above average" in driving skills. You don't see anything wrong
    > > with passing a car which was in the process of a Y-turn?
    > > --
    > >
    > > John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
    > > _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____

    A skilled rider avoids near accidents! Ever hear of defensive driving (Riding)? that many near
    misses I'd start questioning myself. Von(I want to live) Creek; Screamer,V-REX

  9. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    hmmmmm....an excellent cyclist tried to pass behind a car doing a u turn on a narrow street...myhap
    some of those earlier incidents involved a brain injury??? ;-)

    > Well today I got hit by a car...yawn. The bent survived without a scratch, my body OTOH made a
    > nice big dent in the back rightside of a fairly new Korean car. Passenger and driver (both female)
    > get out and beg forgiveness....had it been a male driver I would have in2 psycho mode. (trust
    > me..I know how). I was in a rush and just wrote it off as another driving hazzard. My left
    > shoulder, arm and hip hurt re: what caused the dent, but my jaw hurts too, which confused me since
    > my head didn't hit the car, I was also dizzy for a few hours, but that went away....maybe it was
    > the sudden jolt of coming to
    > dead stop suddenly. What caused the accident was the woman doing a U-Turn on a narrow street
    and
    > she ran out of street and threw the car in reverse to try the turn again just as I rode passed the
    > back of her car. Odd feeling getting whacked
    from
    > the side, usually I just get hit from the front or rear. This is also the 1st time everyone seemed
    > more concerned about how I was doing...usually people are asking about the bent or checking their
    > car for damages while
    I'm
    > laying on the road and being ignored. I am an excellent cyclist surrounded by car drivers who are
    > lost in space....ah the joys of urban riding in winter.

  10. "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well today I got hit by a car...yawn. The bent survived without a scratch, my body OTOH made a
    > nice big dent in the back rightside of a fairly new Korean car.

    Hi Joshua,

    First; I am so glad you were all right,

    and second;

    I guess those Koreans don't have to fire up their nuclear factorys after all-

    they are killing us with Kias! ;-)

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  11. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    ok, I tried to be good, but I can't resist. If a real man initiates a street fight if the
    accident is caused by a male, when two females cause the accident, it seems like some bartering
    is in order...

    > the book is in progress and..as for trying to initiate a street fight
    being
    > Brilliant (thankyou)....good that we both agree that this is what REAL men
    > do.
    > ------------------------------
    > "Steve in SC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > it
    > >
    > > I find it interesting that you respond to an accident based on the sex of the driver and
    > > passenger. If it's a female forget about it. But if it's a male try to initiate a street fight.
    > > Absolutely brilliant. You should write a book.

  12. Last year in my city 2,200 cyclists were hit by cars with several deaths, the year before 2,300
    cyclists got hit and so far this year several (winter) cyclists have been hit. Defensive driving is
    not always possible when you are dodging buses, tractor trailers and riding on roads with Streetcar
    tracks. I use a 359mm Maxxis Hookworm on my front wheel and it goes into the Streetcar groove and
    you cease to have steering control. A new trick Taxi Cabs have is, to avoid getting stuck between 2
    parked cars, they back into the parking space on an angle, leaving 1/3 of the car sticking out into
    what should be the bike lane, the cyclist has to swerve out into the car lane and they get hit by
    the car behind them. In winter, you have to ride ONLY on streets that are well travelled by cars,
    the car tire friction keeps the road clear of Black Ice. In better weather you can use quiet side
    streets, but in Toronto all these streets have Speed Bumps and streets change direction re: you are
    riding south and 2 blocks on a 10 block street and the street become "one way" going north and 3-4
    blocks further it returns to being southbound only. The side streets are in horrible shape (on
    purpose) in order to divert traffic into main traffic corridors and these are the corridors cyclists
    use...because Toronto has 2 Universities @ 40,000 & 16,000 students and 2 Community college campuses
    @ 16,000 students and 11 smaller colleges...lots of Highschools etc (all located on these busy
    traffic corridors). I have had only 4 car/bike accidents in over 800,000 miles...of which I was back
    riding again within 24 hours. I consider this a pretty good safety record.
    ------------------------------
    "Von" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > No really...I am a very good cyclist who is approaching a 1/4 million
    miles
    > > riding and I'm still alive (my sanity is however in question). Oh
    Yeah...on
    > > bents my total distance is a mere 86,000 miles. All of my riding has been in a city core and the
    > > fact I am still alive
    and
    > > not eating through a straw means I am a good cyclist. On every ride I do, I figure I have at
    > > (least) 5 near death experiences daily. These are accidents that I manage to avoid via my riding
    experience.
    > > On any given ride I clip at least 2 car door mirrors with my arm or shoulder, I have so many
    > > scratches on my Mirror the black shell color is gone. As someone pointed out here I seem to like
    > > riding through
    Excavations
    > > (true), but I also ride in places few cyclists would dare ride and I
    floor
    > > it at the oddest times..gotta keep the car drivers guessing. Oh Yeah...I
    do
    > > NOT ride in the curb lane, I ride with the cars in their lane, but
    sometimes
    > > I have to take to the curb/kerb lanes in fast traffic.
    > >
    > > Oh Yeah...there are some days I am terrified of riding in the city core
    and
    > > simply won't ride that day. Kind of a bad feeling/Vibe/premonition...whatever, but I know that
    > > if I ignore my gut feeling....I'll end up in a wheelchair or coffin....and so far it has worked.

    > > ----------------------
    > > > >
    > > > Glad to hear you weren't hurt, but this reminds me of an 'urban legend' survey in which 75% of
    > > > car drivers rated themselves as "above average" in driving skills. You don't see anything
    > > > wrong with passing a car which was in the process of a Y-turn?
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
    > > > _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____
    > > >

    > A skilled rider avoids near accidents! Ever hear of defensive driving (Riding)? that many near
    > misses I'd start questioning myself. Von(I want to live) Creek; Screamer,V-REX

  13. what floored me was how easily the corner of the car dented in, I thought these cars are all
    plastics now that resist dents.
    -----------
    "Christopher Jordan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Well today I got hit by a car...yawn. The bent survived without a
    scratch,
    > > my body OTOH made a nice big dent in the back rightside of a fairly new Korean car.
    >
    > Hi Joshua,
    >
    > First; I am so glad you were all right,
    >
    > and second;
    >
    > I guess those Koreans don't have to fire up their nuclear factorys after
    all-

    > they are killing us with Kias! ;-)
    >
    > Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  14. Skip

    Skip Guest

    "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hmmmmm....an excellent cyclist tried to pass behind a car doing a u turn
    on
    > a narrow street...myhap some of those earlier incidents involved a brain injury??? ;-)

    So maybe Joshua's book will be entitled "Confessions of a Damaged Mind". I've heard that Josh is
    somehow related to Chuck Barris. ;-)

  15. Ofcourse the response depend on the recipient. Today I got "a bit mad" because a car passed me with
    no safety distance at all going up a steep hill - no other traffic at all. I followed the car and
    finally got to talk to the driver - a ~70yo male driver. I told him that he shouldent jeopardize my
    life like that (politely), and he responded that he was afraid of the possibility of oncoming cars..
    We ended the conversation nice, and he promised to think again next time. I doubt he will, but any
    agressive reaction from me would be useless in the situation.

    What would you do if an offender was a 6yo male? Hit the f***ing bastard?

    Maybe I can be co-writer on the book ?

    Torben

    "Steve in SC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > > Passenger and driver (both female) get out and beg forgiveness....had
    it
    > > > been a male driver I would have in2 psycho mode.
    >
    > I find it interesting that you respond to an accident based on the sex of the driver and
    > passenger. If it's a female forget about it. But if it's a male try to initiate a street fight.
    > Absolutely brilliant. You should write a book.

  16. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Joshua Goldberg wrote:

    > ... I use a 359mm Maxxis Hookworm on my front wheel...

    I am only aware of the Hookworm being available in 53-305 mm (16x1.95), 53-406 mm (20x1.95), 65?-507
    mm (24x2.5), and 65?-559 mm (26x2.5) sizes.

    < http://www.maxxis.com/bike/productDetail.asp?BrandID=49 > <
    http://www.maxxis.com/bike/productDetail.asp?BrandID=50 > <
    http://www.maxxis.com/bike/productDetail.asp?BrandID=51 > <
    http://www.maxxis.com/bike/productDetail.asp?BrandID=200 >

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    Dragonflyer

  17. Bob Cardone

    Bob Cardone Guest

    [email protected] (Von) wrote:

    >"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> No really...I am a very good cyclist who is approaching a 1/4 million miles riding and I'm still
    >> alive (my sanity is however in question). Oh Yeah...on bents my total distance is a mere 86,000
    >> miles. All of my riding has been in a city core and the fact I am still alive and not eating
    >> through a straw means I am a good cyclist. On every ride I do, I figure I have at (least) 5 near
    >> death experiences daily. These are accidents that I manage to avoid via my riding experience. On
    >> any given ride I clip at least 2 car door mirrors with my arm or shoulder, I have so many
    >> scratches on my Mirror the black shell color is gone. As someone pointed out here I seem to like
    >> riding through Excavations (true), but I also ride in places few cyclists would dare ride and I
    >> floor it at the oddest times..gotta keep the car drivers guessing. Oh Yeah...I do NOT ride in the
    >> curb lane, I ride with the cars in their lane, but sometimes I have to take to the curb/kerb
    >> lanes in fast traffic.
    >>
    >> Oh Yeah...there are some days I am terrified of riding in the city core and simply won't ride
    >> that day. Kind of a bad feeling/Vibe/premonition...whatever, but I know that if I ignore my gut
    >> feeling....I'll end up in a wheelchair or coffin....and so far it has worked.
    >> ----------------------
    >> > >
    >> > Glad to hear you weren't hurt, but this reminds me of an 'urban legend' survey in which 75% of
    >> > car drivers rated themselves as "above average" in driving skills. You don't see anything wrong
    >> > with passing a car which was in the process of a Y-turn?
    >> > --
    >> >
    >> > John Foltz --- O _ Baron --- _O _ V-Rex 24/63 --- _\\/\-%)
    >> > _________(_)`=()___________________(_)= (_)_____
    >> >

    >A skilled rider avoids near accidents! Ever hear of defensive driving (Riding)? that many near
    >misses I'd start questioning myself. Von(I want to live) Creek; Screamer,V-REX

    I agree. I have ridden just as many miles in cities like New York, Miami,and Atlanta where the
    traffic is mega-bad. I can count all the real problems I have had over the years, on my fingers.
    Sounds like reading a copy of Effective Cycling and taking a course might be a good idea. I bet you
    will realize that there are quite a few things you are doing incorrectly .

    Bob

  18. Age 60 is NOT that old, I'll be there myself in 8 years. I am not prone to physical violence. I am
    however inclined to verbally state my position in a somewhat loud and abusive manner, combined with
    a well understood hand gesture. Car drivers are NOT going to drive in a reckless fashion with the
    immunity they have enjoyed in the past. An offshoot of the Police switching (in a big way) to
    Bicycle patrols has been (at least in Toronto) the Police are coming down really hard on car drivers
    and their stupid tricks. A few Bicycle cops have been injured by car drivers and the more it
    happens, the more the Police will chase down and nail offending car drivers.

    I have observed a greater degree of respect for cyclists happening downtown over the past 3 years.
    Each year the respect level is increasing and hopefully by the time I do hit age 60...driving in the
    city core will not be akin to driving through the gauntlet of doom.

    I am remarkably courteous towards car drivers (who) treat me well. I wave, I smile, I salute, I have
    even tapped on windows at stop lights to thank drivers for waiting for me cross and intersection
    etc. I treat those with respect (who) treat me well. This will help them dealing with other cyclists
    in the future.

    OTOH You will not get the respect of car poor drivers (unless) you push back and let them know you
    have rights as well.
    -------------------------
    "Torben Scheel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ofcourse the response depend on the recipient. Today I got "a bit mad" because a car passed me
    > with no safety distance at all going up a steep hill - no other traffic at all. I followed the car
    > and finally got to talk to the driver - a ~70yo male driver. I told him that he shouldent
    jeopardize
    > my life like that (politely), and he responded that he was afraid of the possibility of oncoming
    > cars.. We ended the conversation nice, and he promised to think again next time. I doubt he will,
    > but any agressive reaction from me would be useless in the situation.
    >
    > What would you do if an offender was a 6yo male? Hit the f***ing bastard?
    >
    > Maybe I can be co-writer on the book ?
    >
    > Torben
    >
    > "Steve in SC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > it
    > >
    > > I find it interesting that you respond to an accident based on the sex of the driver and
    > > passenger. If it's a female forget about it. But if it's a male try to initiate a street fight.
    > > Absolutely brilliant. You should write a book.

  19. UR correct, got my #s wrong again. I am still NOT getting the hang of converting Imperial to Metric.
    A few months ago I sent a nice Email to a Suspension Fork manufacturer in Taiwan asking them why
    they do (not) make a 305mm fork for my 406mm front wheel. The reply went something like: you want us
    to Re-Tool and do WHAT??, before we do what you ask, pleeeez check the batteries in your calculator.
    (I didn't know anyone in Taiwan had a sense of humour).
    -----------------------------

    > Joshua Goldberg wrote:
    > >
    > > ... I use a 359mm Maxxis Hookworm on my front wheel...
    >
    > I am only aware of the Hookworm being available in 53-305 mm (16x1.95), 53-406 mm (20x1.95),
    > 65?-507 mm (24x2.5), and 65?-559 mm (26x2.5) sizes.
    >
    > < http://www.maxxis.com/bike/productDetail.asp?BrandID=49 > <
    > http://www.maxxis.com/bike/productDetail.asp?BrandID=50 > <
    > http://www.maxxis.com/bike/productDetail.asp?BrandID=51 > <
    > http://www.maxxis.com/bike/productDetail.asp?BrandID=200 >
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
    > Dragonflyer

  20. car poor drivers...should be "poor car drivers"...hmmm (not car drivers who are financially
    poor),,,,but car drivers who drive poorly....lets replace poorly with badly.