Bent rear-mech hanger

Russ

Guest
Hi all,

Not sure if my terminology is correct, but I've managed to aquire a
bent rear-mech hanger. I had an accident this morning which involved
my chain getting tangled up in my rear wheel. Unfortunately, this had
the knock-on effect of shearing off half my spokes between the cassette
and the wheel, and pulling my rear mech into the wheel as well.

I can obviously replace the wheel and rear mech without too much
trouble, but what should I do about the bent bit of metal that my rear
mech attaches to? It's certainly not vertical, I'm assuming it should
be? The bike is a Cromoloy (sp?) frame, btw.

Much appreciated folks,

Russ

Russ said:
Hi all,

I can obviously replace the wheel and rear mech without too much
trouble, but what should I do about the bent bit of metal that my rear
mech attaches to? It's certainly not vertical, I'm assuming it should
be? The bike is a Cromoloy (sp?) frame, btw.

Much appreciated folks,

Russ
Take the frame to your local Bike Shop. They will be able to straighten and realign for you.

"Russ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if my terminology is correct, but I've managed to aquire a
> bent rear-mech hanger. I had an accident this morning which involved
> my chain getting tangled up in my rear wheel. Unfortunately, this had
> the knock-on effect of shearing off half my spokes between the cassette
> and the wheel, and pulling my rear mech into the wheel as well.

Sounds like an amazing accident. I've never sheared a single spoke, but have
managed to break rear cassettes through shear power. :)

A lot of bikes have little drop off for rear mechs that take the strain from
pressure. They probably used to sell more of these after the London-Brighton
and the staff who used to put the bikes on the train. Nowadays, those were
the good old days.

Advice given so far seems fair. If you aren't sure, local bike shop for you.

Nick

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A lot of bikes have little drop off for rear mechs that take the strain
> from pressure.

Al bikes have these, because typically if you bend an Al frame you can't
bend it back again safely. Steel bikes like Russ's don't need one coz you
can safely bend it back.

cheers,
clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> A lot of bikes have little drop off for rear mechs that take the strain
>> from pressure.

> Al bikes have these, because typically if you bend an Al frame you can't
> bend it back again safely. Steel bikes like Russ's don't need one coz you
> can safely bend it back.

I did this to an old steel ridgeback. Completely destroyed the hanger
(thread an all), it only cost ~£15 to get a new relacement brazed (or
whatever) onto the frame.

Compare this to the £12 quid I needed to pay to replace a slightly bent
replaceable dropout on my aluminium bike.

John wrote:

> Compare this to the £12 quid I needed to pay to replace a slightly bent
> replaceable dropout on my aluminium bike.

I had a crash week before last on a hired bike. The mech hanger was
bent, I bent it back to get me 'home'. The hire guy charged me €10 to
replace it.

in message <[email protected]>, Russ
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if my terminology is correct, but I've managed to aquire a
> bent rear-mech hanger. I had an accident this morning which involved
> my chain getting tangled up in my rear wheel. Unfortunately, this had
> the knock-on effect of shearing off half my spokes between the cassette
> and the wheel, and pulling my rear mech into the wheel as well.
>
> I can obviously replace the wheel and rear mech without too much
> trouble, but what should I do about the bent bit of metal that my rear
> mech attaches to? It's certainly not vertical, I'm assuming it should
> be? The bike is a Cromoloy (sp?) frame, btw.

Steel frames (which includes CroMo) usually have the mech hanger as an
integral part of the frame. If so, it needs to be straightened, and that
needs to be done carefully and precisely. Take it to your LBS.

Aluminium frames, if they're any good, and carbon ones, have the mech
hanger as a separate, sacrificial piece made of soft metal - the idea
being that if it does get put under unfair load, it will snap before the
frame gets damaged. If yours is this sort you need to get a replacement.
Unfortunately, there is no standard pattern for these, so you need to
get a replacement designed for your make and model (and sometimes even
year) of frame.

;; Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
;; in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle.
;; Rep. Earl Blumenauer (Dem, OR)

MSeries wrote:
> John wrote:
>

> > Compare this to the £12 quid I needed to pay to replace a slightly bent
> > replaceable dropout on my aluminium bike.

> I had a crash week before last on a hired bike. The mech hanger was
> bent, I bent it back to get me 'home'. The hire guy charged me €10 to
> replace it.

yebbut you weren't in the UK ;-)

I had a similar experience in Italy, € 20 for replacing the hanger,
gear cable, adjusting, mending the chain and also a new spoke

Ribble have just charged me £14.99 for the same part.

Russ wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if my terminology is correct, but I've managed to aquire a
> bent rear-mech hanger. I had an accident this morning which involved
> my chain getting tangled up in my rear wheel. Unfortunately, this had
> the knock-on effect of shearing off half my spokes between the cassette
> and the wheel, and pulling my rear mech into the wheel as well.
>
> I can obviously replace the wheel and rear mech without too much
> trouble, but what should I do about the bent bit of metal that my rear
> mech attaches to? It's certainly not vertical, I'm assuming it should
> be? The bike is a Cromoloy (sp?) frame, btw.

Did this in Spain a few years ago. Only a few spokes though but frame
and derailleur bent. Rode through the mountains on a shortenened chain
using the 42x18 until I got to Donostia where the frame was straightened
and gears replaced all for less than the price of the rear changer at home.
All the best
Dan Gregory

Clive George wrote:
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > A lot of bikes have little drop off for rear mechs that take the strain
> > from pressure.

> Al bikes have these,

not all of them

> because typically if you bend an Al frame you can't
> bend it back again safely. Steel bikes like Russ's don't need one coz you
> can safely bend it back.

but some have them anyway

best wishes
james