bent riders at cyclingforums

meb

Aug 21, 2003
Well I guess I'll start this forum off.

But after 2 1/2 weeks without a post, I'm wondering am I the only bent rider here?

Originally posted by meb

But after 2 1/2 weeks without a post, I'm wondering am I the only bent rider here?

Seems that way :confused: we have quite a few that post to the recumbent newsgroup though, maybe they're to shy to post here?

cheers

Come on guys....use the "Recumbent Bicycles" link and join the action. Lots of posts...you seem to have started a thread short of the real forum.

:eek:

Originally posted by karl swanson
Come on guys....use the "Recumbent Bicycles" link and join the action. Lots of posts...you seem to have started a thread short of the real forum.

:eek:

Karl:

Actually this is the new local forum internal to cyclingforums created by the moderator Steve rather than the global gateway to the ARBR NG which is analogus to the Cycling Equipment forum being the internal forum and with a gateway to rec.bicycles.tech NG or Mountain Bike the internal forum local with gateway to the alt.mountain-bike NG. As an internal forum, it also serves as a friendlier and less intimidating place for non-bent forum members contemplating recumbents or members seeking transfer of recumbent technology to other bikes to pop in for advice. The linear posting format here rather than tree hierarchy of usenet is also more user friendly and easier novice posters to stay in subthread rather than attaching to the wrong branch of a hierarchical posting format.

About a half dozen other new local forums appear to have been created simultaneously including several North American racing forums.

This has a lot of potential if the unmoderated off topic political flamewars continue to drown out the recumbent discussion at ARBR, although BROL has grown to have more bent content than the next five or six recumbent venues combined. Cyclingforums is heavily dominated by road bike, mountain bike, and cyclecross biking, so this forum was idle for two plus weeks after creation. After nobody started it rolling I hoped we could at least get the ball rolling with a local post.

There are many more members here than at Bikeforums.net, so I expected at least as many postings here as in the recumbents section at Bikeforums, maybe that will change in time.

Originally posted by stevek
I wish I could afford to ride one.

There are budget bents in the $450-1000 range, used bents, or many plans available for the conversion and homebuilds, and aeven a handful of kits. Many conversions can be done for under $200 with used parts.

Are you looking at bikes/trikes and prebuilt/homebuilt.

If bikes look at these:

Sun EZ-1
Actionbent
Human Powered Machines Trick
S & B recumbents
Backsafer (a folding clwb with chiropractor designed seat)
BikeE (they went out of business in ’02 but there are some new ones still around selling at big discount).

There is also a rumor of a new budget Giant brand "Stilletto" LWB bent coming in April.

if I got one it would need to be a good one. hard to go down in quality (G) but I can't really justify spending more money on cycling right now.

Gotta agree. My wife and I got two EZ-1s two years ago. The price was just under $500 each. Pretty steep for us. But since we were doing it to equip ourselves to go carfree, we decided it was worth it.

We certainly couldn't see paying those sorts of prices for something intended only for recreation. We don't make that kind of money!

Originally posted by nualle
Gotta agree. My wife and I got two EZ-1s two years ago. The price was just under $500 each. Pretty steep for us. But since we were doing it to equip ourselves to go carfree, we decided it was worth it.

We certainly couldn't see paying those sorts of prices for something intended only for recreation. We don't make that kind of money!
I got a great deal on my racing bike I use for my commute. I got it in a trade of the tools I make. so I cna't go out and get antoehr bike. but you never know what will happen (G)

If bikes look at these:

Sun EZ-1
Actionbent
Human Powered Machines Trick
S & B recumbents
Backsafer (a folding clwb with chiropractor designed seat)
BikeE (they went out of business in ’02 but there are some new ones still around selling at big discount).

There is also a rumor of a new budget Giant brand "Stilletto" LWB bent coming in April.

Don't forget the new entry-level Burley LWB recumbent, the Koosah. You can see it here:
Burley recumbents

I just bought a Koosah, my first recumbent. It kind of stuns me that $900 is considered an 'inexpensive' recumbent, but there you are.

I love it. I'm still getting used to the differences in handling, in particular low speed maneuvering, but what a great bike. No numb hands, no backaches, no neck aches, and it feels like it just wants to go straight and fast all day.

cheers,

PAgent

Originally posted by meb

Im here, but I dont check in as often as I could. I spend most of my forum browsing time over at BROL.

Originally posted by meb

There are probably lurkers out there, however, what can this forum offer to entice their participation? Is there something this forum can afford the recumbent world that other more well-established forums don't already?

Eddie

Hey Ya'll,
I just signed up.
I am going cross country this summer.
am planning to go on a recumbent.
and best of all, biking is new to me...

Fire away..

Ray

Originally posted by rayoliver
Hey Ya'll,
I just signed up.
I am going cross country this summer.
am planning to go on a recumbent.
and best of all, biking is new to me...

Fire away..

Ray

Ray,

What kind of recumbent are you planning to tour on?
I saw a Tour Easy and a Dutch-made (Optima/Challenge?) USS last year. The USS seems ideal for relaxing the arms on long rides.

Eddie

Originally posted by meb

I have a feeling this topic may be a slow starter but will begin to snowball. It seems there is much more variability among bents than uprights. So this is fodder for more conversation among riders wanting to know what else is out there and what changes they should make. Road bikes have some differences, but not nearly as many as bents.