bent riders at cyclingforums

meb said:
Well I guess I'll start this forum off.

But after 2 1/2 weeks without a post, I'm wondering am I the only bent rider here?
I'm new here and new to 'bents. I just got an Actionbent Road Runner II. It took about six hours to put it together and a lot of tweaking to get it setup properly. I put SPD pedals on it and have been riding about 10 miles a day 4-5 days a week so far. I like it a lot. I was a road racer (mostly road trainer) 20 years ago. I had a disc removed from my neck 10 years ago and can no longer ride road bikes. I can ride the 'bent fine. The Road Runner is fast and I recommend it to anyone wanting speed. It is not real easy to handle, it takes a lot of getting used to. The biggest lesson I have learned is too relax. It is starting to feel natural now and I am looking forward to getting in good enough shape to ride long rides. The Actionbent is a great deal for the price.

gntlmn said:
I have a feeling this topic may be a slow starter but will begin to snowball. It seems there is much more variability among bents than uprights. So this is fodder for more conversation among riders wanting to know what else is out there and what changes they should make. Road bikes have some differences, but not nearly as many as bents.
I'm looking at the Gold Rush EX. 63 yrs old. Thinking of touring when I retire (2 yrs), but will primarily do club rides 20-100 miles. C Tunnel wrists got me to thinking about recumbents. I've started hearing about recumbent butt caused by the seat being too upright. How much of a problem is it? Can't be worse than wedge butt can it?

Would equip Gold Rush with Mueller Windwrap STGRX faring or the
or Super Zzipper Faring - From what I've read the Meuller is a bit stouter. Does the SSFaring rattle from the wind? Any suggestions/preferences?

dbwilkinson said:
I'm looking at the Gold Rush EX. 63 yrs old. Thinking of touring when I retire (2 yrs), but will primarily do club rides 20-100 miles. C Tunnel wrists got me to thinking about recumbents. I've started hearing about recumbent butt caused by the seat being too upright. How much of a problem is it? Can't be worse than wedge butt can it?

This is number one complaint among many Easy Racer (Tour Easy, GRR and TiRush) LWB owners because of the near vertical seat back position you mentioned. Because of its antiquated design, tilting the seat or seat back to eliminate or minumize the problem, initiates another one - too far from the handle bars. Obviously, rider ergonomics was never seriously considered when the ER design was originally conceived. http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=934

Not hardly. There are a lot of us out there. I've had mine for less than 2 months. I wish I had gone bent years ago. We are out there, Noah.

:D

meb said:

But after 2 1/2 weeks without a post, I'm wondering am I the only bent rider here?

I went bent several years ago, went with a delta Trike, still have it,, now to figure out how to fix it lol

:confused: :confused:
PaPa said:
This is number one complaint among many Easy Racer (Tour Easy, GRR and TiRush) LWB owners because of the near vertical seat back position you mentioned. Because of its antiquated design, tilting the seat or seat back to eliminate or minumize the problem, initiates another one - too far from the handle bars. Obviously, rider ergonomics was never seriously considered when the ER design was originally conceived. http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=934

The seatback on the above mentioned Bents tilt back from a vertical position. Very easy to accomplish. Do you have a Kalloy adjustable stem. If not, purchase one and have it installed and you can adjust your handlebars to your hearts content. With the new stem you can tilt your seatback and alliviate the back strain and "recumbent butt"

Dr. Duk said:
:confused: :confused:

The seatback on the above mentioned Bents tilt back from a vertical position. Very easy to accomplish. Do you have a Kalloy adjustable stem. If not, purchase one and have it installed and you can adjust your handlebars to your hearts content. With the new stem you can tilt your seatback and alliviate the back strain and "recumbent butt"

Sure you can tilt the seat back... and the bars... an equal amount. Doing so, however, dramatically increases dreaded tiller effect (which degradates low speed controllability). It also moves the CoG even more aft - not to mention what it does to spinning efficiency because of an already TOO low bottom bracket.

Why put a Band-aid on an antiquated design? There is a much better way... Raise the BB a few inches - lower the seat to 18" (the same height as a kitchen chair) - then add a vertically compliant tail-end (allows the option of an unpadded and efficient hardshell). Like this:

http://www.boomspeed.com/papasbent/MyBeaterBent.jpg

:confused:
PaPa said:
Sure you can tilt the seat back... and the bars... an equal amount. Doing so, however, dramatically increases dreaded tiller effect (which degradates low speed controllability). It also moves the CoG even more aft - not to mention what it does to spinning efficiency because of an already TOO low bottom bracket.

Why put a Band-aid on an antiquated design? There is a much better way... Raise the BB a few inches - lower the seat to 18" (the same height as a kitchen chair) - then add a vertically compliant tail-end (allows the option of an unpadded and efficient hardshell). Like this:

http://www.boomspeed.com/papasbent/MyBeaterBent.jpg

TILLER EFFECT!!! I don't know what you are riding but I have not experienced any tiller effect with either my Tour Easy or my Ti Rush. I have tilted my seat back a few degrees and adjusted my handlebars with the Kallory stem and walla a very speedy machine. Remember the old proverb "If it ain"t broke don't fix it". This design has been in effect for 25 yrs. Apparently if you don't like the design there are many more Bents on the market that might be more suitable for you. Higher bottom bracket, etc. Back to the tiller effect you should have ridden the older model of the Rans V-2. That was a Bent with the dreaded "TILLER EFFECT"

Dr. Duk said:

TILLER EFFECT!!! I don't know what you are riding but I have not experienced any tiller effect with either my Tour Easy or my Ti Rush.

This is what I ride:

MyBeater.jpg

You HAVE tiller,... and experience "tiller effect" if your hand position rest outside and aft of the steering axis. So, just how much (in inches please) does your two 'bents have?

Dr. Duk said:
:This design has been in effect for 25 yrs.
Doesn't mean s**t!
So WAS black'n white TV. Sold like hotcakes until something better emerged.

PaPa said:
This is what I ride:

MyBeater.jpg

You HAVE tiller,... and experience "tiller effect" if your hand position rest outside and aft of the steering axis. So, just how much (in inches please) does your two 'bents have?

Doesn't mean s**t!
Variety is what makes 'bents so unique. What works for some doesn't work for others. Some people pan the RANS Tailwind. Others love it. I'm in the love category. The TW has a higher BB than the EZ machine. Not as high as a SWB though. Ride what works for you.

'bent Brian

PaPa said:
This is what I ride:

MyBeater.jpg

Doesn't mean s**t!

SO BUY SOMETHING DIFFERENT IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE EASYRACER DESIGN. THAT IS WHAT MAKES AMERICA GREAT. WITH YOUR ABOVE STATEMENT ABOUT HAND POSITION EVERY LWB BENT WILL HAVE TILLER EFFECT. YOU WOULD HAVE TO RIDE A SWB BENT SITTING ATOP THE FRONT WHEEL WITH THE HANDLEBAR DIRECTLY ABOVE THE FRONT WHEEL. WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED ANY TILLER OR TILLER EFFECT ON ANY OF THE TWO EASYRACER PRODUCTS THAT I HAVE AND BOTH BENTS HAVE THE SEATBACK RECLINED IN NEGATIVE SUPINE POSITION. I AGREE WITH THE BLACK & WHITE TV STATEMENT BUT APPARENTLY NEITHER A BETTER DESIGN NOR BENT HAS BEEN BUILT TO TAKE THE PLACE OF THE FANTASTIC EASYRACER!!!!!!!!

Dr. Duk said:

SO BUY SOMETHING DIFFERENT IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE EASYRACER DESIGN. THAT IS WHAT MAKES AMERICA GREAT. WITH YOUR ABOVE STATEMENT ABOUT HAND POSITION EVERY LWB BENT WILL HAVE TILLER EFFECT. YOU WOULD HAVE TO RIDE A SWB BENT SITTING ATOP THE FRONT WHEEL WITH THE HANDLEBAR DIRECTLY ABOVE THE FRONT WHEEL. WHAT I AM SAYING IS THAT I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED ANY TILLER OR TILLER EFFECT ON ANY OF THE TWO EASYRACER PRODUCTS THAT I HAVE AND BOTH BENTS HAVE THE SEATBACK RECLINED IN NEGATIVE SUPINE POSITION. I AGREE WITH THE BLACK & WHITE TV STATEMENT BUT APPARENTLY NEITHER A BETTER DESIGN NOR BENT HAS BEEN BUILT TO TAKE THE PLACE OF THE FANTASTIC EASYRACER!!!!!!!!

Apparently.. you didn't see the provided image link which seems to indicate that I'm already a very satisified owner/rider. What made you think otherwise? My comments were in response to the OP's question(s) concerning TE's... of which, like you, have personal experience. One of them WAS... a TiRush (for a ti bike, frame construction was very good I might add).

Dr. Duk said:
I AGREE WITH THE BLACK & WHITE TV STATEMENT BUT APPARENTLY NEITHER A BETTER DESIGN NOR BENT HAS BEEN BUILT TO TAKE THE PLACE OF THE FANTASTIC EASYRACER!!!!!!!!

Actually... what you ment to say was....you've just never EXPERIENCED a "better design"

PaPa said:
Apparently.. you didn't see the provided image link which seems to indicate that I'm already a very satisified owner/rider. What made you think otherwise? My comments were in response to the OP's question(s) concerning TE's... of which, like you, have personal experience. One of them WAS... a TiRush (for a ti bike, frame construction was very good I might add).

Actually... what you ment to say was....you've just never EXPERIENCED a "better design"

YES, I SAW YOUR LINK AND APPARENTLY YOU HAVE CHANGED THE COMPONENTS OF THE EASYRACER TO SUIT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! FROM YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT WANTING TO CHANGE THE ANTIQUATED DESIGN OF THE EASYRACER ONE WOULD HAVE TO CONCLUDE THAT YOU WHERE NOT A SATISIFIED OWNER/RIDER. YES, I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED A "better design" BECAUSE THERE ISN'T A BETTER DESIGN OF THE EASYRACER BENT. I DO OWN AND RIDE OTHER BENTS AND THEIR DESIGNS ARE SUITABLE FOR WHAT THEY WHERE INTENDED FOR. BIKE E RX, VISION R-64 SABRE, TREK R-200, BURLEY HEPCAT, RANS SCREAMER TANDEM, EASYRACER TOUR EASY AND MY NEWEST ADDITION THE ROLLS ROYCE OF BENTS THE TI-RUSH. :D

PaPa said:
My comments were in response to the OP's question(s) concerning TE's..."

If it looks like I had a TE question, there must be an attribution or quotation problem somewhere in the thread. I raised no TE questions.

meb said:
If it looks like I had a TE question, there must be an attribution or quotation problem somewhere in the thread. I raised no TE questions.

Oops!... My error. Sorry meb. I was referring to dbwilkinson's post.

Dr. Duk said:

YES, I SAW YOUR LINK AND APPARENTLY YOU HAVE CHANGED THE COMPONENTS OF THE EASYRACER TO SUIT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Appreciate the compliment...

For a price... I'd be glad to implement the same improvements to your tirush.

PaPa said:
Appreciate the compliment...

For a price... I'd be glad to implement the same improvements to your tirush.

NO THANKS!!! IF I WANTED A BENT LIKE YOURS I WOULD HAVE PURCHASED A RANS STATUS. I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH MY ANTIQUATED TI RUSH DESIGN THAT I HAVE RECENTLY UPDATED WITH A TAILSOK AND ROTOR CRANKS.

Dr. Duk said:

NO THANKS!!! IF I WANTED A BENT LIKE YOURS I WOULD HAVE PURCHASED A RANS STATUS.

And if I wanted a te/grr/tirush.... I'd do like G. Martin did when he conceived and build the original design - employ stripped and/or discarded uprights.

meb said:

Hi, I'm a bent-rider from Oslo, Norway and I regularly check out these forums. I sometimes find answers to my questions and sometimes discover that I'm not alone dealing with a specific problem. I never cared about biking until I got my Kettwiesel TT. Now, a lot of other people care too. My idea is that physical excercise has got to be fun, it doesn't matter how much people/government try to convince you through all these campaings. Now, I am eager to go biking while thinking about life and it's various challenges!