bent riders at cyclingforums

PaPa said:
This is number one complaint among many Easy Racer (Tour Easy, GRR and TiRush) LWB owners because of the near vertical seat back position you mentioned. Because of its antiquated design, tilting the seat or seat back to eliminate or minumize the problem, initiates another one - too far from the handle bars. Obviously, rider ergonomics was never seriously considered when the ER design was originally conceived. http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=934
Methinks you may be exaggerating the complaints a little. When you adjust the seat back rake, you can also adust the handle bars, quite easily actually. The new backs on EZ series from Sun are even easier. I'm thinking about changing my TE to that seat back and adjusting pins. It is obvious to me that the ergonomics had a lot of thought. You'll notice that they follow the scandanavian design of dining chairs with support for the lower back and then rolling slightly backwards and curving upwards to support the upper back. I find my TE seat as comfortable as my scandanavian dining chairs and the adjustment, while a little older technology than the EZ series involves only four screw adjustments. My Opinion Only (MOO).
Gramps

My main requirement from cycling is to be able to commute 32 miles to work across semi-rural West Sussex, England, Europe, without using my car or the train, while getting a healthy amount of exercise, fresh air and countryside good feelings, while not being stressed by traffic jams and train cancellations (in fairness, the trains have been better this year after teething problems with new rolling stock).

The closest I have approached this so far is with an upright bike (Trek 1400), 1 hour 45 minutes inward journey (18 mph average, including junctions and traffic lights), then take the train all the way back. At 39 years old, I feel this is not going to get any better.

A high-end bike shop in Portsmouth, after suggesting minor efficiency improvements like tri-bars and carbon wheels, realised that I was happy to employ drastic measures, and suggested a recumbent as a way of shaving off 10 minutes in the hour. And a New Scientist magazine (late 2004) reported around 80mph records for a fully faired recumbent (although they take an hour to set up so not much good for commuting). One of the few fully-faired recumbents on the market is the Lightning F-40. Only one supplier in Europe had one in stock for me to test ride, in southern Germany. Since they cost about 5000 United States dollars, there was no way I was going to mail order one on spec, so I travelled to Germany to check it out.

After falling off a few times, I was happily doing 32 mph on the flat, nil wind. So I ordered one. It's a lot of money, but peanuts compared with moving house or more car depreciation.

As I see it, the issues regarding recumbent v. upright, for this commute ride, are:

1. Aerodynamic efficiency - frontal area: Being recumbent instead of upright clearly reduces frontal area, with some aerodynamic improvement. But without fairing, it is still very turbulent, so only a few mph improvement, once one has developed the different muscles. Nevertheless, recumbents were banned circa 1910-1930 in international cycle races because of their inherent aerodynamic advantage.

2. Aerodynamic efficiency - fairing: Fairings improve efficiency on upright and recumbent bikes, but again they were banned early this century in international cycle races because of their inherent aerodynamic advantage. Note that a rear-only fairing (looks like trailing edge of a wing) on its own provides more advantage than a front-only fairing on its own, and is more handy for luggage. For my purpose, a full fairing was applicable, though more expensive.

3. Weather : For protection against rain and cold, a full fairing does most of the job. This was an unexpected benefit - on an unfaired upright, I have to spend about 15 minutes in the morning looking for and putting on overshoes, Sealskin gloves, etc., and then more time hanging it all up in the office to dry. And just the psychological boost of not having the wind and rain blasting into my face makes it feel easier.

4. Pedalling efficiency: Recumbents lose on steep hills. Very laid back recumbents are worst, since you just slide up the seat. The Lightning F-40 is quite upright, and breaks even up to about 10% grade.

5. Comfort: I wore upright cycling shorts (I think this means something different in the U.S.; I am referring to the black Lycra/Spandex short trouser item that is worn on the outside) and regretted it very quickly. Loose-fitting shorts are better, and this is also a benefit when off the bike, e.g. in train or car, because I don't find cycling shorts comfortable then either.

Saddle - much more comfortable, more of an armchair, you can stop and just sit there and relax. I have to get off an upright to do this.

Handlebars - needed only for control input, so much lighter on fingers and wrists.

If anyone knows of a faster way to do this commute trip by bike, please let me know.

:mad: I got a new action bent and its taken me quita bit of work to make it rideable......I am writing an article about it for Recumbent Cyclist news magazine.....so I will post more info later.... :eek:

:cool: has any one else messed with one of these bikes?

Er, I'm "vlaming" from England, Europe, I've done a 60 mile round trip 50 times in the last year on my Lightning F-40. Please contact me if there is anything you would like to know that I haven't already posted. If you're writing an article then I imagine you need good photos, I have some from the a long straight road by the sea on the south coast of England.

jawnn said:
:mad: I got a new action bent and its taken me quita bit of work to make it rideable......I am writing an article about it for Recumbent Cyclist news magazine.....so I will post more info later.... :eek:

:cool: has any one else messed with one of these bikes?

i've got a Vision R44, above seat steering and a zipper faring. purchased in 1977. have used it for commuting and rode the Amtrack century with it.

I recently purchased the Actionbent recumbent tadpole from a seller on ebay. Wow! I am having more fun now than ever since I’ve been biking.

Five years ago I was involved in automobile accident caused by a driver turning into my car. I was told by the orthopedic Dr, chiropractor, and physical therapist that I would never ride again because of a herniated disk in my neck.

I’ve ridden over 200 miles in the past 4 weeks with no neck pain! Before the accident I was riding 100+ miles a week ... I’ll get there again with the recumbent. It is the most comfortable bike (trike) to ride but I just don’t have as much time right now to ride.

I am still not real comfortable with the traffic on the roads ... I feel that I am sitting too low ...
My old touring bike is now hanging in the garage but some day I would like to replace it with a recumbent bike to compliment my tadpole.

Bob

My favorite bike is a TourEasy. Second favorite is a Montague, a folding upright with 26" wheels. Both have their uses, but when I'm on the Montague I feel too high above the road!

I agree, the tadpole is really low, in fact you could probably ride right underneath a truck on it. I recommend using it mostly in groups, for safety. Meanwhile, look around for a used 'bent. All my aches have vanished: neck, wrists, crotch - since I put my old Cannondale away. They say there's a bumper sticker for recumbents: "Oh, my aching Nothing"

CC,Rider

I purchased a delta-trike myself 2yrs. ago, (Kettwiesel TT) as part of my own rehab-efforts. (see: http://www.artikkelhuset.net/my_kettwiesel.htm). It has cured my backache and put the joy back to physical training. Before, I hated the idea of more physiotherapy - now I can't wait to see the snow and cold go away.

DrBob said:
I recently purchased the Actionbent recumbent tadpole from a seller on ebay. Wow! I am having more fun now than ever since I’ve been biking.

Five years ago I was involved in automobile accident caused by a driver turning into my car. I was told by the orthopedic Dr, chiropractor, and physical therapist that I would never ride again because of a herniated disk in my neck.

I’ve ridden over 200 miles in the past 4 weeks with no neck pain! Before the accident I was riding 100+ miles a week ... I’ll get there again with the recumbent. It is the most comfortable bike (trike) to ride but I just don’t have as much time right now to ride.

I am still not real comfortable with the traffic on the roads ... I feel that I am sitting too low ...
My old touring bike is now hanging in the garage but some day I would like to replace it with a recumbent bike to compliment my tadpole.

Bob

rayoliver said:
Hey Ya'll,
I just signed up.
I am going cross country this summer.
am planning to go on a recumbent.
and best of all, biking is new to me...

Fire away..

Ray
Good luck, I know the feeling as I got my first recumbent 3 years ago (a Kettwiesel trike). Recumbents are the best bikes for long trips as they don't destroy your back while biking. Legs get a punch, but would so anyway!:)

Hi guys - new to 'bents, just got new EZ-3 (delta trike) and even though it's not super fast, I have gotten it to 21 MPH so far, it's a total blast. Anyone - looking at a recumbent that isn't sure, GO FOR IT! You will not be sorry. I know I'm not, and it's going to take a lot of convincing for me to go upright again. Everyone out there - enjoy!

I recognize the feeling from when I got my Kettwiesel trike on new years eve of 2004, I was outright hillarious - what a blast! I had the bikeshop working overtime to put it together and tested it on the patio outside a friends house where we celebrated double: The new year plus my bike. Since then I have biked approx. 6000 kms and more is coming. Next weekend I will bike around Öresund - a straight dividing Denmark and Sweden (you have to use a ferry naturally.) It's a 120 km stretch where we start in Copenhagen and end up in Malmö of sweden. Later in the summer I will participate in this years Ecotrip of Finland going from Turku on the west coast of Finland to the Åland island fairly close to the coast of sweden. Naturally there will be plenty of ferrystretches, but that's a nice way to get a brake tough you don't get to bike that much. Just betting for sun.:)

PAgent said:
Don't forget the new entry-level Burley LWB recumbent, the Koosah. You can see it here:
Burley recumbents

I just bought a Koosah, my first recumbent. It kind of stuns me that $900 is considered an 'inexpensive' recumbent, but there you are.

I love it. I'm still getting used to the differences in handling, in particular low speed maneuvering, but what a great bike. No numb hands, no backaches, no neck aches, and it feels like it just wants to go straight and fast all day.

cheers,

PAgent
A hint: Here in Norway, I got a fantastic Kettwiesel through the national health security system on grounds of need for physical rehab. Maybe you out there who suffer from various disabillities should check your health insurance to see if you could do likewise! I did this in 2004 and regret not having thought about earlier.