Bent rim fixing?

meth24

Aug 7, 2003
Start getting better, stronger, forget my gloves today, hit a narrow pothole while signalling a right turn (campus roads are bad), wreck and hands are looking bad. Covered in hydrogen peroxide, burned like hell. Wipe off, put neosporin on, then bandaid and now I won't be riding for a few days. My back rim might be bent too, I don't want to throw money into a bike I'm getting rid of at the end of the year.

Anybody have some good tricks to fixing a slightly bent rim? It's just enough to rub against the back brakes once per rotation.

You need to get a spoke key and true the wheel, but it might be worth getting someone else to have a look at it (any mates who ride?).

It's easy to fix, but also easy to make a mess of.

Originally posted by Shabby
You need to get a spoke key and true the wheel, but it might be worth getting someone else to have a look at it (any mates who ride?).

It's easy to fix, but also easy to make a mess of.

yeh, the bike is at his house, heh. But neither one of us know what to look for when trueing a wheel. We just know that you tighten spokes. :)

Ask some questions with cyclists you see. You will
run into somone who will give you the answers
you are looking for. No bike shops in the area?
If you have not "trued" a wheel before, don't
try.....watch someone do it first and ask questions.
I have a book called, "The Bicycle Wheel" by
Jobst Brandt, I think it is still in publication. It was
published by Avocet. Very good book about wheel
building and repairing. A quick "fix" would be to
take the wheel off the bike and apply pressure
to the wheel....try having the wheel "trued" first.

I just ordered a bike off ebay. the guy packed the seat next to the rear wheel and it bent the spokes. I took it to the shop and the owner said it would cost $15. It may be different for your area.

(the ebay seller said he'd cover it, incase anyone is wondering)

This is a nice little trick that I learned from a cycling video on bike maintenance, put one half of the bent part of the wheel in a drawer, for instance if this were a side view of a wheel ^, put the left part of the "wheel caret" in the drawer and then bend up or down, whichever way the wheel bends.

This might discourage you but, my two cents here have never been tested by me, but on the video it seemed like a clever thing to do.:p

Bad advice! (Of course you have admitted that you haven't done it won your own wheels).

Keep asking people you know. It's a very quick fix when you know what you're doing (I've fixed a wheel in another guys office for his ride home last week - took about 2 minutes).