Bent seatpost, is it bad for my frame??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by CrazyCourier, Sep 25, 2003.

1. CrazyCourier

CrazyCourier New Member

Hey All,

I have recently bent my seat post the slightest bit. Because i am riding a dirt jumping bike for my couriering job (go figure hey!?), i put the seatpost all the way up so about 1 inch would be in the frame (this would be the lowest height you get on a XC!). But she didn't like that much, and i have bent it a teeny weeny bit.

It is not so bent, that i can still slide it down with some encouraging twisting.

But one of my mates at work said that he heard it was bad for your frame using a bent seat post??

Is this true, if so what will it do??? Do i need a new seat post straight away or can it wait a while???

Cheers,

Ken

Tags:

2. percious

percious New Member

Probably not a good idea to jam your post into the frame. It may not come out later! I would buy a new one, especially if your frame is made of aluminium. A steel frame could take it, but I wouldnt risk providing extra forces to an aluminum tube.

-percious

3. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

You really should try to find a new and longer setpost immediately, not out of concern for the frame but for your own health. With such a small amount of overlap between post and frame you run a real risk of the seatpost breaking free from the frame if you land hard on the saddle. I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out the graphic details of the possible injuries after such a mishap...

4. Dredd

Dredd New Member

LOL